Author Topic: Road construction QuestionDr  (Read 2064 times)

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
Re: Road construction QuestionDr
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2023, 09:51:32 AM »
With my old man barely drinks phase I'm going through, I don't know if I could survive a night at Mae's any longer

That's quitter talk.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2023, 09:53:22 AM »
Just the thought of those overpours makes my stomach queasy
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2023, 10:50:30 AM »
I would simply have my helicopter pilot drop me off at the 50 yard line or maybe over on the Rec softball diamonds to not appear too obnoxious.   :kstategrad:

While a total baller move, I think many people would be surprised to know that this is NOT illegal so long as you have permission from K-State to land there, and the landing's are done prior to the TFR (temporary flight restriction) going into affect for the football game (1 hour prior to kickoff to 1 hour after the completion of the game).

However, I would advise just landing at MHK and taking an Uber unless you've got connections within the city and can get the greenlight to touchdown in the city park. In such a scenario, land at the airport so you can start popping corks, limo to the West Stadium Center for the game as the ride over will allow you and friends to kill a bottle or two, gorge yourself on the killer buffet they've got up there in the WSC, shuttle to Aggieville for the afterparty, and then walk the block and a half from Aggieville to the park to be picked up in your Dolphin and go home (I'm assuming back west to someplace like Scott City where all you rich people are from).

In that case, I simply ask for you to teach me how to be you.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2023, 10:57:09 AM »
My dad's hobby farm neighbor (near eskridge) lives in PV and helicopters to the hobby farm twice a week to water the plants and stuff.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2023, 11:25:14 AM »
Was going to chime in to say just take US77 North to US24 East (turn at the Jordy-plex east of Riley).

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2023, 12:17:20 PM »
If we drive, my group gets off I-70 at Abilene, goes up to Wakefield, then to Riley, then comes down in on 24. This may take a few more minutes than some of the other routes spoken about on here, but that aggravates me far less than traffic jams and sitting still.

If we fly in, we just look down below and wave at the peasants.  :gocho:
If you fly, how advance notice do you have to give before takeoff? And, can you easily update your route? For example, if we win can you be like “let’s go celebrate in another city?”

Since I am a private pilot with access to my own aircraft, the only people I have to notify are any passengers that are going with me, and the tower at the moment I'm ready to depart.

If I'm having to go through weather and I need to file what's known as an instrument flight plan (just means a more complicated way of flying because I can't look out the window and see where I'm going) then it's common courtesy to notify ATC of my intentions at least an hour before takoff.

EDIT: Sorry, I realized I didn't answer your other questions. Yes, I am able to easily update routes to avoid areas of high traffic or inclement weather, even mid flight. Also, yes, so long as I haven't been drinking and my friends feel like helping to pay for the fuel, we can watch the cats win an 11am kickoff game in MHK and touchdown in OKC or Denver before dinner time.

Genuinely curious - what would fuel costs be to go from MHK to Denver or OKC if you assume garden variety private plane, weather conditions, passengers, etc.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2023, 12:19:15 PM »
PLAN AHEAD - GAME DAY TRAFFIC ADVISORY :
The Kansas Department of Transportation says Eastbound I-70 on-ramps will be closed in Junction City to help ease Kansas State University gameday traffic congestion.
In their release, it says this Saturday, October 21 from 12 to 6 p.m. eastbound on-ramps at J Hill Road/Grandview Plaza (exit 299) and K-57 (exit 300) will be closed in an attempt to ease traffic congestion.
For K-State fans traveling to the game, KDOT suggests allowing extra travel time and using an alternate route such as U.S. 77 to the north. During construction, traffic is reduced to one lane in each direction as median crossovers are used to carry all traffic at a reduced speed through the work zone on the eastbound lanes.
Plan ahead, leave early, and drive safe! Go Cats!

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2023, 12:45:27 PM »
If we drive, my group gets off I-70 at Abilene, goes up to Wakefield, then to Riley, then comes down in on 24. This may take a few more minutes than some of the other routes spoken about on here, but that aggravates me far less than traffic jams and sitting still.

If you fly, how advance notice do you have to give before takeoff? And, can you easily update your route? For example, if we win can you be like “let’s go celebrate in another city?”

Since I am a private pilot with access to my own aircraft, the only people I have to notify are any passengers that are going with me, and the tower at the moment I'm ready to depart.

If I'm having to go through weather and I need to file what's known as an instrument flight plan (just means a more complicated way of flying because I can't look out the window and see where I'm going) then it's common courtesy to notify ATC of my intentions at least an hour before takoff.

EDIT: Sorry, I realized I didn't answer your other questions. Yes, I am able to easily update routes to avoid areas of high traffic or inclement weather, even mid flight. Also, yes, so long as I haven't been drinking and my friends feel like helping to pay for the fuel, we can watch the cats win an 11am kickoff game in MHK and touchdown in OKC or Denver before dinner time.
What kind of plane/jet do you have?  Also, crosspost with stud things thread

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2023, 01:37:18 PM »
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2023, 04:01:22 PM »
My dad's hobby farm neighbor (near eskridge) lives in PV and helicopters to the hobby farm twice a week to water the plants and stuff.
Incredible flex. Just gonna hop on over to my other property in my helicopter to water the flowers then I'll be back.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2023, 04:07:14 PM »
Incredible flex. Just gonna hop on over to my other property in my helicopter to water the flowers then I'll be back.
This thread is much more interesting that it appeared at first glance. I want to hear more Purple Oil airplane stories, for sure.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2023, 04:59:09 PM »

Genuinely curious - what would fuel costs be to go from MHK to Denver or OKC if you assume garden variety private plane, weather conditions, passengers, etc.

I can answer both of these questions simultaneously. I fly a Cessna 182, which is known in the GA (general aviation) community as the Chevy Tahoe of the skies. It's the third most popular plane that you will find in the air falling right behind its two smaller siblings; the 172 (most produced aircraft in history), and the 152 (most popular TRAINER in history). The 182 is arguably the most sought after used airplane on the market due to it's incredible versatility and low, relative, cost of entry. It's definitely one of the benchmarks that all other GA aircraft are compared to when pilots are looking to purchase a plane. So for the purpose of these questions, it's about as accurate of an answer as you're going to get.

Operating costs will vary with fuel prices (obviously) and my plane runs on 100LL (low lead). Some aircraft engines are certified to operate on auto fuel, yes, the exact same stuff that comes out of the Casey's pump, provided it's ethanol free. Unfortunately, mine is not so I have to pay for 100LL and wadda ya know, it costs more. At the time of this post, 100LL is running between $6 and $7 a gallon, depending upon which airport you look at. The 470 cubic inch engine that sits up front will burn between 12 and 13 gallons per hour when cruising (obviously more when climbing and less when coming back down). Throw in oil, maintenance, insurance etc. and I've found $140 per hour of engine run time to be an accurate number. I say engine run time because it costs money to taxi and wait for takeoff clearance at an airport even though you're not going anywhere.

To go to Denver on a typical day from Manhattan, you're looking at about 3 hours cruising at 150 mph. So 3 hours * $140/hr * 2(return flight) / 4 people (I can put 3 other adults and full fuel in my plane) = ~ $230 per person by the time taxing and run-up are figured into things. Also, one of the biggest benefits of planes like this is the ability to land at airstrips outside of major airports. Why land at Denver International and fight all that traffic on I-70 when I can land at Centennial or Rocky Mountain Metro and be a 15 minute Uber from downtown!

OKC is an hour and a half from Manhattan. So it would be about $120 per person for 4 adults round trip.

Where these planes really shine though, is in those 1-2 hour flight windows. The ability to fit more into your schedule is mind blowing. My plane is hangered in Hutchinson which, aside from having high fuel prices, is a fantastic little airport that's also near the middle of a destination to anywhere, i.e. Denver to KC, Omaha to Dallas etc. As an example, In August, I took off from Hutch with a friend, landed 15 minutes later at Jabara on the east side of Wichita, picked up two more friends, and 40 minutes later touched down in Enid, OK to go watch another friend perform. We ate dinner, went to the show, and then took back off. I was home, showered, and in bed before any of our friends who drove had reached Wichita.

In April I took off from Hutch in the morning around 10am, touched down in Abilene 30 minutes later, picked up a friend and his clubs, and then 15 minutes later we landed in Manhattan. We at lunch at Taco Lucha, met up with a 3rd friend, and went golfing. After that, we got back in the plane, I dropped my friend off in Abilene and an hour an a half later I was wheels down in Scott City for dinner with more friends. I stayed the night, went to church the next morning with them, hung around the house for a little bit, and then took off and landed back in Hutch with plenty of time to still do house chores and prepare for the coming week.

Finally, just this month I left Friday after lunch, and 45 minutes later was in Stillwater. I met up with friends and watched Howard throw 3 interceptions, stayed the night, wheels up at 6:30am the next morning, back down in Hutch at 7:30am, topped off with fuel and threw youngest brother into the plane. We were back in the air by 8:30am and landed in Fayetteville around 10:15am. Met up with our other brother and cousins and we were having brunch and throwing a private Octoberfest party before noon. Return flight the next day, and I was in my house a full hour before my middle brother, whom had driven down to Fayetteville from KC, made it home.

You just can't do that with a car.

As an aside; the only people that operate jets are commercial/charter flights, or the rock star rich. 'Erbody else either operates turbo-props (turbine engine with a propeller on the front) or piston driven like me.

Also also, not sure what this stud thread is that has been referenced. Kindly direct me.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2023, 05:16:37 PM »

I can answer both of these questions simultaneously. I fly a Cessna 182, which is known in the GA (general aviation) community as the Chevy Tahoe of the skies. It's the third most popular plane that you will find in the air falling right behind its two smaller siblings; the 172 (most produced aircraft in history), and the 152 (most popular TRAINER in history). The 182 is arguably the most sought after used airplane on the market due to it's incredible versatility and low, relative, cost of entry. It's definitely one of the benchmarks that all other GA aircraft are compared to when pilots are looking to purchase a plane. So for the purpose of these questions, it's about as accurate of an answer as you're going to get.

Operating costs will vary with fuel prices (obviously) and my plane runs on 100LL (low lead). Some aircraft engines are certified to operate on auto fuel, yes, the exact same stuff that comes out of the Casey's pump, provided it's ethanol free. Unfortunately, mine is not so I have to pay for 100LL and wadda ya know, it costs more. At the time of this post, 100LL is running between $6 and $7 a gallon, depending upon which airport you look at. The 470 cubic inch engine that sits up front will burn between 12 and 13 gallons per hour when cruising (obviously more when climbing and less when coming back down). Throw in oil, maintenance, insurance etc. and I've found $140 per hour of engine run time to be an accurate number. I say engine run time because it costs money to taxi and wait for takeoff clearance at an airport even though you're not going anywhere.

To go to Denver on a typical day from Manhattan, you're looking at about 3 hours cruising at 150 mph. So 3 hours * $140/hr * 2(return flight) / 4 people (I can put 3 other adults and full fuel in my plane) = ~ $230 per person by the time taxing and run-up are figured into things. Also, one of the biggest benefits of planes like this is the ability to land at airstrips outside of major airports. Why land at Denver International and fight all that traffic on I-70 when I can land at Centennial or Rocky Mountain Metro and be a 15 minute Uber from downtown!

OKC is an hour and a half from Manhattan. So it would be about $120 per person for 4 adults round trip.

Where these planes really shine though, is in those 1-2 hour flight windows. The ability to fit more into your schedule is mind blowing. My plane is hangered in Hutchinson which, aside from having high fuel prices, is a fantastic little airport that's also near the middle of a destination to anywhere, i.e. Denver to KC, Omaha to Dallas etc. As an example, In August, I took off from Hutch with a friend, landed 15 minutes later at Jabara on the east side of Wichita, picked up two more friends, and 40 minutes later touched down in Enid, OK to go watch another friend perform. We ate dinner, went to the show, and then took back off. I was home, showered, and in bed before any of our friends who drove had reached Wichita.

In April I took off from Hutch in the morning around 10am, touched down in Abilene 30 minutes later, picked up a friend and his clubs, and then 15 minutes later we landed in Manhattan. We at lunch at Taco Lucha, met up with a 3rd friend, and went golfing. After that, we got back in the plane, I dropped my friend off in Abilene and an hour an a half later I was wheels down in Scott City for dinner with more friends. I stayed the night, went to church the next morning with them, hung around the house for a little bit, and then took off and landed back in Hutch with plenty of time to still do house chores and prepare for the coming week.

Finally, just this month I left Friday after lunch, and 45 minutes later was in Stillwater. I met up with friends and watched Howard throw 3 interceptions, stayed the night, wheels up at 6:30am the next morning, back down in Hutch at 7:30am, topped off with fuel and threw youngest brother into the plane. We were back in the air by 8:30am and landed in Fayetteville around 10:15am. Met up with our other brother and cousins and we were having brunch and throwing a private Octoberfest party before noon. Return flight the next day, and I was in my house a full hour before my middle brother, whom had driven down to Fayetteville from KC, made it home.

You just can't do that with a car.

As an aside; the only people that operate jets are commercial/charter flights, or the rock star rich. 'Erbody else either operates turbo-props (turbine engine with a propeller on the front) or piston driven like me.

Also also, not sure what this stud thread is that has been referenced. Kindly direct me.
https://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=26706.msg764687.msg#764687

Online cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2023, 05:40:25 PM »
act like a man and take KS-177 from Cassoday good grief

Isn't 177 closed between Council Grove and Manhattan? It certainly is south bound.

I think so
Closed as frick
in light of this information, BMWWcat just fly into Manhattan International Regional Airport.
I used to take the red eye direct from MHK to Wichita all the time. Wheels up and wheels down in 12 min.

I get that this is a joke, but for those who are not in the aviation world, this would mean that DBT is outrunning F18's.

Eh, I get there is take off and landing speed considerations, but that's about 500 mph average speed (assuming straight line flight from Jabara to MHK, ~100 miles). I think an F18 can do (slightly) better than that.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline bananaeater

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2023, 07:20:57 PM »

Isn't 177 closed between Council Grove and Manhattan? It certainly is south bound.

I think so
Closed as frick
in light of this information, BMWWcat just fly into Manhattan International Regional Airport.
I used to take the red eye direct from MHK to Wichita all the time. Wheels up and wheels down in 12 min.

I get that this is a joke, but for those who are not in the aviation world, this would mean that DBT is outrunning F18's.

Eh, I get there is take off and landing speed considerations, but that's about 500 mph average speed (assuming straight line flight from Jabara to MHK, ~100 miles). I think an F18 can do (slightly) better than that.
https://youtu.be/8AyHH9G9et0?si=4-e6PRD5HnUNFrTu

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2023, 09:03:38 PM »
One of my friends has a 182 and when I have to make a tour to look at projects, I call him up and use his time machine.  One day I had to visit potential projects in Springdale and Fort Smith, AR.  We left Augusta at around 8, visited both sites, had BBQ in Fort Smith, and were back in Augusta by about 3 or so.  It was fantastic.
@mikec2w

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2023, 09:34:39 PM »
I have never really looked into chartering like that. To small plane owners have an their own sort of Uber system?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2023, 09:41:28 PM »
Can you get cell service at cessna 182 cruising altitudes

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2023, 10:20:50 PM »
I have never really looked into chartering like that. To small plane owners have an their own sort of Uber system?
Some do!

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2023, 09:04:50 AM »

I think so
Closed as frick

This is where the whole plausible vs probable argument comes in to play. Not only is there take off and landing considerations, but there's also the time it takes to get up to altitude where you can reach higher speeds due to greater efficiency of the engines and decreased air resistance. On top of that you've got fuel burn it takes to pull this off, and after that, you gotta have the time and room to slow that bitch back down! Now, I realize we're talking about an unprovable hypothetical scenario here, and I am in no way an expert in military aircraft and their capabilities. However, I think that even IF the military wanted to try and pull this off, that your time would be closer to the 20 minute mark than the 12 minute one. I've been wrong before though.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2023, 09:11:16 AM »

Technically yes, but it's rare. In order to charge for a service like that you've got to have a commercial license. In order to use a plane for commercial services the plane itself has to be insured for commercial purposes. Naturally, this brings about additional costs. However, if any of you are around the Hutchinson area, Wells Aircraft based at the airport will fly you to over 4000 different airports in the lower 48 cruising at 210mph. Expect to pay substantially more than $140/hr though

https://www.wellsac.com/charter

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2023, 09:25:40 AM »
Can you get cell service at cessna 182 cruising altitudes

Like all things in the aviation world, it depends. First, we need to understand that cell towers beam their signals horizontally, not radially. So you can be 30 miles away from a tower on the ground and get a signal, or 1 mile straight above the tower and not receive a damn thing. Then there is the factor of the number of towers in the area, the number of people using those towers, the wattage of the towers etc. All this to say that with the McPherson airport almost sitting right at 1500ft elevation (above sea level) that when my altimeter is showing 4,500ft (so 3000 above the ground), service starts to get sketchy. If I get a signal, great, if I don't, I'm not surprised. I don't expect to receive anything on Verizon when I'm showing 6,000ft or above. Typical cruise altitudes for me are between 3000 and 8000ft above sea level depending on winds and weather. Rarely do I see benefits going higher or lower than that range.

I typically use my iPhone that I have for work as a hot spot for the iPad (doing airplane stuff) and personal cell phone, and then time stamp all my texts that I send out while in air. That way, when someone on the ground receives a message that I'm landing in 30 minutes, they can see I actually sent that 20 minutes ago, that I'm really touching down in 10 minutes.

Online cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2023, 10:04:28 AM »

I think so
Closed as frick

This is where the whole plausible vs probable argument comes in to play. Not only is there take off and landing considerations, but there's also the time it takes to get up to altitude where you can reach higher speeds due to greater efficiency of the engines and decreased air resistance. On top of that you've got fuel burn it takes to pull this off, and after that, you gotta have the time and room to slow that bitch back down! Now, I realize we're talking about an unprovable hypothetical scenario here, and I am in no way an expert in military aircraft and their capabilities. However, I think that even IF the military wanted to try and pull this off, that your time would be closer to the 20 minute mark than the 12 minute one. I've been wrong before though.

There should be a redbull sponsored event to try. But I am imagining it shooting off the deck like an aircraft carrier, afterburning like a mofo at about 2000ft, and then coming in like an aircraft carrier again. It's all a dumb but fun thought experiment. I think it's just barely doable if you're willing to throw all caution to the wind.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2023, 08:15:31 PM »
It doesn’t get more gE than a thread with traffic questions quickly leading to the earnest solution being to fly a private plane in instead.

Online cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2023, 09:54:54 PM »
It doesn’t get more gE than a thread with traffic questions quickly leading to the earnest solution being to fly a private plane in instead.

All the K-State grad money  :kstategrad: