Author Topic: Fire Chris Klieman  (Read 109427 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Chris Klieman
« Reply #1425 on: October 14, 2023, 09:31:34 PM »
history has shown fuckhead has no problem switching qb's
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: October 14, 2023, 11:32:18 PM »
CK stated last week after the OSU lost why he didn't put AJ in and he said that was a decision for CO CK to make as he had faith in CK's reasons for why and what he was doing regarding the offense.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: October 15, 2023, 12:23:24 AM »
The D is uncharacteristically bad, but I don’t see a ton of other faults. Credit to CKx2 knowing we needed Avery to win that game.

Under what measurement is this defense bad?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: October 15, 2023, 12:34:43 AM »
I guess comparing the points allowed of last year vs the same teams this year so far.

Also just the types of scores allowed seem bad to the ol’ eyeball test.

Offline bananaeater

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: October 15, 2023, 12:39:41 AM »
I guess comparing the points allowed of last year vs the same teams this year so far.

Defense has been on the field too much this year methinks.  Could just be my perception.  Quick 3-and outs not helpful.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: October 15, 2023, 07:07:13 AM »

I'm not saying the defense isn't worse this year, but last night was a pretty poor data point using the "comparing the points allowed of last year vs the same teams this year" metric

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: October 15, 2023, 07:36:48 AM »

So the eye test it is then. Against P5 opponents this year, tech has scored 30, 13, and 39 and 49 their previous two games, we held them to 21. The defense held them under their season averages for points, yards, rushing yards, and forced 3 turnovers.

We did give up 3 red zone TDs tonight but going into the game only Michigan had given up fewer red zone touchdowns on the year. The defense is absolutely fine. Don't let Chingon's in game anxiety, which, I legitimately can't tell if it's sincere or gEing, sway you that something is wrong with our defense.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: October 15, 2023, 07:43:59 AM »
The defense has held every opponent, other than Oklahoma State, under their season average, and it's not like the offense is playing the old LHC Bill Snyder slothfense either.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: October 15, 2023, 07:47:11 AM »
We are giving up more points per play than last year but it's not terrible.  Also we played the entire second half against TTU's third string QB so it's not really an apples to apples.  My expectation going into this year was always that the defense would drop off because you can't lose 4 NFL players and reload with the way we recruit.  I just thought we would score 40 a game and it wouldn't matter.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: October 15, 2023, 08:28:24 AM »
Would be curious how this year and last years Ds compare on 3rd and 4th down efficiency. Bc just based on the eye test, it seems like we are giving up 3rd down conversions like they’re going out of style. And when we d they do get to 4th down, if it’s 4th and less than 5 they are absolutely going for it (and converting it). I mean look at last night. Who has 4th and 2 inside their own 20 and goes for it (barring total desperation)? But it made perfect sense and, unsurprisingly, they converted it easily with a run up the middle.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: October 15, 2023, 08:35:50 AM »
Would be curious how this year and last years Ds compare on 3rd and 4th down efficiency. Bc just based on the eye test, it seems like we are giving up 3rd down conversions like they’re going out of style. And when we d they do get to 4th down, if it’s 4th and less than 5 they are absolutely going for it (and converting it). I mean look at last night. Who has 4th and 2 inside their own 20 and goes for it (barring total desperation)? But it made perfect sense and, unsurprisingly, they converted it easily with a run up the middle.

Last year's 3rd down efficiency defense was 34% and this year's is 32%.

Why are people melting down about that win last night? I was hitting the sauce pretty hard but lol what did I miss

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: October 15, 2023, 09:15:44 AM »
The defense has held every opponent, other than Oklahoma State, under their season average, and it's not like the offense is playing the old LHC Bill Snyder slothfense either.
We’ll see how the data shakes out by the end, but on that last point we did play UCF’s backup QB making his first start and then Tech’s 3rd string. So you expect those outputs to be under their averages anyway (aside from the fact that just about everyone’s first four games or so are more likely to be blowouts).

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: October 15, 2023, 10:33:31 AM »
We’ll see how the data shakes out by the end, but on that last point we did play UCF’s backup QB making his first start and then Tech’s 3rd string. So you expect those outputs to be under their averages anyway (aside from the fact that just about everyone’s first four games or so are more likely to be blowouts).

Does the defense also get to hedge based on our linebacker and secondary injuries?

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: October 15, 2023, 10:44:52 AM »

Why are people melting down about that win last night? I was hitting the sauce pretty hard but lol what did I miss

My melting down was really more about our choices on offense. Defensively though, the YAC yards were troubling. Who knows maybe their rb is really good but there were so many times we’d get to him in the backfield and somehow he managed to squirt through for 4 or 5 yds. I think just about every time we had them in 3rd and long it they didn’t pick it up they got it to 4th and worth a shot, and then they would pick it up. And several of those it wasn’t busted coverage it was an 8 yd pass and the guy would drag the defender(s) for 7 or 8 more

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: October 15, 2023, 10:50:22 AM »
The DB and LB depth isnt really any different than losing Ward for a game and Duffie being out for several games and Keegan Johnson being perpetually injured.  The D is fine for what we need it to be, I don't think it's lost us any games this year.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1440 on: October 15, 2023, 10:59:12 AM »
I mean, based on the small sample size it would appear  that yes, if AJ stays healthy then we really only need the defense to get maybe 2 stops per game, but I don’t want our game plan to be “defense? Lmao who actually cares?”

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: October 15, 2023, 10:59:15 AM »

My melting down was really more about our choices on offense. Defensively though, the YAC yards were troubling. Who knows maybe their rb is really good but there were so many times we’d get to him in the backfield and somehow he managed to squirt through for 4 or 5 yds. I think just about every time we had them in 3rd and long it they didn’t pick it up they got it to 4th and worth a shot, and then they would pick it up. And several of those it wasn’t busted coverage it was an 8 yd pass and the guy would drag the defender(s) for 7 or 8 more

The rb leads the league in rushing yards fwiw

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: October 15, 2023, 11:05:10 AM »
My perception is we give up more explosive plays than last year but we are basically the same as last year with that stat too. I think folks just have a skewed perception of the defense quality we had last year

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: October 15, 2023, 12:08:09 PM »
defense is fine since I just want an offense that scores a ton of points, is unstoppable, and out scores their opponents

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: October 16, 2023, 02:05:33 PM »
our defense is top half and has been really pretty elite against the run.

My eye test says we're prone to giving up explosive plays in the passing game but also our secondary is super dinged up.

I think we'll get better as the season goes as long as we can stay relatively healthy.

Klandy was sending the house like it was 1999 and that was awesome.  Their qb got absolutely leveled on the TD pass where their guy made a great catch and got a foot in.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: October 16, 2023, 05:56:18 PM »
Eye test shows we're a little thinner up front in the pass rush, and a little greener in the secondary. Probably a little less top-end speed overall on defense, but not sure.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.