Author Topic: midlife crises  (Read 5052 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
midlife crises
« on: September 21, 2023, 09:22:55 PM »
we're about at that life stage now, no?  anyone (else) experiencing one?

personally, i'm maybe doing so?  i've basically hit my financial goals and am in a position to execute on my life plan (not work, not live in fresno and instead spend my time rough ridin' around w. snakes), but i'm no longer sure that's what i want or what my wife would tolerate.  it's a weird feeling.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: midlife crises
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2023, 09:29:45 PM »
good thread sys. I have a lot of stuff to ask for help with here.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2023, 09:33:14 PM »
That ship has sailed for this guy.  Need one asking about fear of dying.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2023, 09:42:25 PM »
I'm 43 and am in a very weird spot in my life where I coach an 11U travel baseball team, 5th grade football team, 7U girls basketball team, and have my regular job. I've turned down pretty intensive executive roles because I don't have the bandwith for it and my family stuff. I'm terrified that in 5'ish years all that goes away and then what am I doing? Just work crap? doing business meetings with business people? hound my kids about their day? talk to my wife about something other than our kids schedules and calendar entries?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2023, 09:43:41 PM »
we're about at that life stage now, no?  anyone (else) experiencing one?

personally, i'm maybe doing so?  i've basically hit my financial goals and am in a position to execute on my life plan (not work, not live in fresno and instead spend my time rough ridin' around w. snakes), but i'm no longer sure that's what i want or what my wife would tolerate.  it's a weird feeling.

have you considered coaching a youth basketball team?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2023, 10:42:31 PM »

i haven't.

i'm more trying to decide between:  plan a (pretend i'm a grad student doing snake stuff again), plan b (eff around with cows and sheep), plan c (just spend all day on twitter and message boards).  it's weird not having a strong preference btwn the three, but even more it's like, my preferences have changed enough in the last ten years, how can i be confident in what i'm going to want to be doing ten years from now?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2023, 10:51:41 PM »
Mrs. Hamburg & I just had a serious conversation about hobbies. She has hobbies. I don’t. I mess with something for 2 months then move on. I want to be able to comfortably retire at 55ish. I probably won’t, but I’ve seen enough people have jobs they like that then change in their mid-50s & they still have to slog out 7 more years in a job they hate. I don’t want that. However, she’s worried that I won’t know what to do if I do retire early. She’s not really pushing me on it now because I have years until retirement, but she’s already thinking about it. It’s not really a midlife crisis, but it’s a realization that the kids will be out of the house in 10 years & what the hell am I am going to do with the rest of my life.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2023, 10:54:52 PM »
I been on a solid one for about the past 10 months.  Think I am about to pull out of it though.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2023, 11:03:55 PM »

plan b (eff around with cows and sheep)

Such a stereotype, smh

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2023, 06:50:13 AM »
Look, you have a limited number of years before your body starts to really suck crap. Think about all of the epic crap you didn't do when you were younger because of life. The stuff that makes you think, "man, it would kick so much ass if I could do that." Make plans to do that stuff. Educate yourself about that stuff. Train your body for that stuff. Then, do that stuff.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2023, 09:04:38 AM »
Look, you have a limited number of years before your body starts to really suck crap. Think about all of the epic crap you didn't do when you were younger because of life. The stuff that makes you think, "man, it would kick so much ass if I could do that." Make plans to do that stuff. Educate yourself about that stuff. Train your body for that stuff. Then, do that stuff.

yeah, that's fun to say. but irl nobody does that. have to start small.

nobody, on their death bed, says "I wish I had coached less youth basketball"

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2023, 09:08:47 AM »
Mrs. Hamburg & I just had a serious conversation about hobbies. She has hobbies. I don’t. I mess with something for 2 months then move on. I want to be able to comfortably retire at 55ish. I probably won’t, but I’ve seen enough people have jobs they like that then change in their mid-50s & they still have to slog out 7 more years in a job they hate. I don’t want that. However, she’s worried that I won’t know what to do if I do retire early. She’s not really pushing me on it now because I have years until retirement, but she’s already thinking about it. It’s not really a midlife crisis, but it’s a realization that the kids will be out of the house in 10 years & what the hell am I am going to do with the rest of my life.

Have you considered being a youth basketball coach?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2023, 09:10:18 AM »

plan b (eff around with cows and sheep)

Such a stereotype, smh

i'm not a biologist but i think one of the benefits of mumping around with cows and sheep is you don't even need to get plan b

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2023, 09:20:27 AM »
Hopefully when I need to check this thread in 10 years it will be full of good advice
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2023, 09:23:59 AM »

That's what I'm saying. Start small now. Because if it's truly epic crap, it's gonna take a lotta work to make it happen. I have plans to do stuff in 6-8 years that I've started working toward now. It gives me tons of purpose for when my kids are out on their own.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2023, 09:28:36 AM »

That's what I'm saying. Start small now. Because if it's truly epic crap, it's gonna take a lotta work to make it happen. I have plans to do stuff in 6-8 years that I've started working toward now. It gives me tons of purpose for when my kids are out on their own.

what kind of crap?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2023, 09:36:49 AM »

what kind of crap?

1.) Go skydiving
2.) Go Rocky Mountain climbing
3.) Go 2.7 seconds on a bull named Fumanchu
4.) Love deeper
5.) Speak sweeter (should be more sweetly)
6.) Give forgiveness you've been denying

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2023, 09:37:30 AM »
I started the Chum plan about 6 months ago. 

I made a list(no certain order):
1. Nazare Portugal.  I saw the HBO thing about 100ft waves and I have to see those in real life before I die.
2. I want to go see the Northern Lights in one of the Scandinavian countries, Iceland, or something like that.  I want one of those bungalow things where it's dark as eff and just wild space light.
3. I want to go on a hike trip in a Dark Sky refuge where we can get the absolute best view of the Milky Way available in the US.
4. I want to hike as much of the Utah national parks as I can before getting bored with them.
5. I want to see a glacier and hike that [redacted].  Probably can roll this one in with #2.

There are other things, but this is an example.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2023, 09:41:21 AM »
Decided at age 40 to change careers. Was in ministry, quit, started subbing at schools to kill time and I loved being at in a classroom. So I enrolled in a masters program and plan on teaching high school in about a year. Going back to school has been good/hard/weird.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2023, 09:42:26 AM »
Decided at age 40 to change careers. Was in ministry, quit, started subbing at schools to kill time and I loved being at in a classroom. So I enrolled in a masters program and plan on teaching high school in about a year. Going back to school has been good/hard/weird.
This is a really good one and I bet that ends up being a great move for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2023, 09:44:28 AM »
Thanks SD. Had to remind myself if I retire at 65-70ish I still have more work years ahead of me than behind. We made some good choices financially early in our marriage that has allowed me to make less money for a couple years and still stay afloat.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2023, 09:46:37 AM »
I'm 43 and am in a very weird spot in my life where I coach an 11U travel baseball team, 5th grade football team, 7U girls basketball team, and have my regular job. I've turned down pretty intensive executive roles because I don't have the bandwith for it and my family stuff. I'm terrified that in 5'ish years all that goes away and then what am I doing? Just work crap? doing business meetings with business people? hound my kids about their day? talk to my wife about something other than our kids schedules and calendar entries?

I think you'll do well when your life season changes. Use Pete as a life template for how to handle all that when the kids are older.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2023, 09:47:12 AM »
I'm pretty much content with whatever. Have you midlife crisis-havers considered doing that? Huh?

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2023, 09:47:24 AM »

what kind of crap?

Whatever you think kicks ass. Like, play around at local bars with a band. Or play in the local symphony. Or act in the local theater. Shred up a bowl on a skateboard. Or be an expert snow skier doing jumps and stuff. Compete in tournaments for like chess or ping pong or badminton or whatever.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2023, 09:47:27 AM »
I started the Chum plan about 6 months ago. 

I made a list(no certain order):
1. Nazare Portugal.  I saw the HBO thing about 100ft waves and I have to see those in real life before I die.
2. I want to go see the Northern Lights in one of the Scandinavian countries, Iceland, or something like that.  I want one of those bungalow things where it's dark as eff and just wild space light.
3. I want to go on a hike trip in a Dark Sky refuge where we can get the absolute best view of the Milky Way available in the US.
4. I want to hike as much of the Utah national parks as I can before getting bored with them.
5. I want to see a glacier and hike that [redacted].  Probably can roll this one in with #2.

There are other things, but this is an example.

There was/is a fantastic place in Akureyri Iceland for that. Has a hot tub and overlooks a fjord and to the north.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla