Author Topic: Rank the new Big 12  (Read 9443 times)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Re: Rank the new Big 12
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2023, 11:26:45 AM »
Gonna rank by how much I like to have them in the conference.  It's not an order of how much I like them per se, but how much I'd miss football games against them if they left and how excited for future games i am with them.  Really, I guess, it's how emotionally invested i am in THEIR season.  Whether I root against them or kind of root for them.  A measure of my emotional amplitude.

KSU
------
KU -- Fun rival.  Lot of water cooler talk.  It's what college sports are for, baby!

ISU -- Same as KU but the dial on everything is turned down by like 70 percent.

OSU -- Lot of history.  Neat stadium.  I'm a sucker for Gundy, who is, weirdly, now *the* elder statesman of the Big 12.

Baylor -- We're at a point now where I don't have a memory of Baylor not being in the Big 12.  I don't really hate them like a lot of people do.  Partly because I always kind of liked Briles before that crap hit the fan.  No real animosity for 2012.  I like that K-State plays Baylor.

Texas Christian -- We've had some fun games against them.  I liked Gpatty a lot.  I don't really care for Sonny Dykes. I hope they lose more than I hope CU stinks.

Colorado -- Bunch of history.  Fun team to root against, but kind of forgot.  Feeling any strong emotions about this program will take some effort.

Tech -- Probably the school from the OG Big 12 i'm the most ambivalent about.  They're just so far away.  They've been pretty mediocre since forever.  I've never been to Lubbock.  They're supposedly going to be good at football someday.  Maybe this year?

Utah -- What can you say?  They're a good football program with a good fanbase. 

BYU -- I don't really have anything against BYU.  Good football program.  Cotton bowl still makes me mad!! Not really. 

Central Florida -- I've kind of been a bandwagon fan since their ascent.  I bought a National Championship shirt as kind of a joke, but I do think they got a raw deal out of all that.  You win all your games, you bet a team that's pretty darn good in a bowl game, you can call yourself a national champ as far as I care.

WVU -- Neal Brown stinks.  Horsewomen was more interesting. 

Arizona State -- They've been a circus recently.  Don't really care.

Cincy -- Zero interest, one way or the other.  They lost the coach that made them good.

Arizona -- Zero interest, one way or the other.  Seems far away and uninteresting.

Houston -- Zero interest, one way or the other.  They will take a long time to not be a G5 team in my brain.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 11:39:46 AM by DQ12 »

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2023, 12:49:13 PM »
Not bad, my ranks for my feelings on them, not necessarily program

1. KU, obv, it's fun in-state, they are turning it around, and my general "hate" I had for ku wains as one gets older, it's not worth being angry, even if I don't want their bball fans to be happy, I can handle it.
2. ISU also, their fans are genuinely more annoying as a fanbase, but genuinely nice in person.
3. OSU, probably the most prestigious consistent program left of the OG 8. No hate, and usually fun games with them
4. TT, also no real hate, they had the pirate (RIP), gave the world Mahomes and they are never really good, nor terrible, just off in the hinterlands
5. TCU, ultimately good they are in the conference, and good they are currently the team to win a CFP game (vs OU/Tex). Sucks obv about champ game. Was fairly salty last year about all the QBs they injured but over that, for now.
6. Utah, glad we have them, kinda crappy online crap but that's w/e. They win a lot and have the trophy's to prove it. I hope they can keep that up (except against us) and keep the banner of a good football conference going.
7. Colorado, happy they are back, don't really care for Dion, and not too salty about them being gone but hope they don't keep being flakes.
8. Central Florida, I think the school that will benefit the most about going to P5. They will prove to be a valuable asset going forward, but like Utah hopefully not at our expense in like a champ game if we play them.
9. Cincy, I think ultimately will also benefit from the jump up, and will I think in due time get their footing and will be a valuable asset. Has played in the CFP so that's good for the conference too.
10. WVU. Beginning of the two ambivalents. No hate, also not a lot of care. Has always seemed to stick out to me in the conference, but having some buddies out east I think will make them feel better.
11. Zona. Great for basketball, w/e for football. Not going to hate nor make waves one way or the other
12. Baylor, first of the dislikes. Still not happy about 2012, but gave us Tang. They are good at basketball, but their entire football/athletic culture is underpinned by scandal. Wish they weren't so icky.
13. BYU, I think our biggest now prima donnas despite Mormons not really being that bad. Just makes our conference feel like we have to change it's character I think to suit them and I don't care for that.
14. Houston, probably cause I hate the city and I don't want more Texas stuff, football will help us I think ultimately but I just don't care and Houston the city is gross. Props for more cats though.
15. Arizona State. They just seem gross, don't seem to really wanna be here. Giant party/large school overall but feels just as commuter school as UCF but not going to help us that much football.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline AzCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2023, 01:59:34 PM »
Asu is satfetyschoolaggie

yeah that's great. although I think calling them a safety school makes them seem better than they actually are lol

Ask us about our ~90 Top 25 academic programs!  (Just don't ask us if there are really 24 more degree programs in Saudi Intersectional Lesbian Feminist Medieval Literature out there competing with us.) 

Sincerely, Doctor Michael Crow (I'm Ivy League! No, not my degrees but I was once an adjunct at Columbia pulling down a cool $1500/semester and don't you ever forget it!)

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2023, 03:42:33 PM »
Asu is satfetyschoolaggie

yeah that's great. although I think calling them a safety school makes them seem better than they actually are lol

Ask us about our ~90 Top 25 academic programs!  (Just don't ask us if there are really 24 more degree programs in Saudi Intersectional Lesbian Feminist Medieval Literature out there competing with us.) 

Sincerely, Doctor Michael Crow (I'm Ivy League! No, not my degrees but I was once an adjunct at Columbia pulling down a cool $1500/semester and don't you ever forget it!)

Every day I learn something new about this guy. And every day I like him less.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2023, 11:56:04 AM »
I'll play along. I copied some.

1. KU, Because in state rivals are always fun, especially when you've only lost like 4 games to them in your entire lifetime, and they exhibit zero amounts of humility.
2. ISU Their fans are genuinely more annoying as a fanbase, but genuinely nice in person.
3. OSU pretty much identical to us, only in Oklahoma. Did you know Gary Busey went there?
4. TT also no real hate, they had the pirate (RIP), gave the world Mahomes and they are never really good, nor terrible. Plus the ladies in Lubbock are easy.
5. Colorado Hahaha welcome back losers.
6. Utah Solid addition in my opinion and will fit in nicely.
7. TCU, they were in the right place at the right time, but have been able to pull their own weight.

8. Cincy, Beginning of the four ambivalent schools.  I think ultimately will also benefit from the jump up, and will I think in due time get their footing and will be a valuable asset. Has played in the CFP so that's good for the conference too.
9. WVU. No hate, also not a lot of care. Morgantown is fun though.
10. Zona. Great for basketball, w/e for football.
11. Central Florida, I think the school that will benefit the most about going to P5. I'll have to see if they were a worthwhile addition to the conference.

12. BYU About to discover things are much more difficult than the WAC or Mountain West.
13. Arizona State. They just seem gross, don't seem to really wanna be here. Giant party/large school overall but feels just as commuter school as UCF but not going to help us that much football.
14. Houston, probably cause the city is dirty and we've got enough Texas stuff already. This was more of a numbers game and I don't think they bring much.

16. Baylor They don't belong in a Power-anything conference. They scammed their way into the original Big XII, they've raped, murdered, and cheated their way through the years, and it finally payed off for them. They are the dirtiest athletic department in the conference and bring nothing of worth to any of the other members. eff these guys.
[/quote]

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2023, 08:34:34 AM »
After the first week time to overreact and tier these teams

S tier (will be in Jerry World)
Oklahoma
K-State

A tier (still good and could be there)
Texas

B tier (looked good but still iffy long term)
UCF
Cincy
KU
TCU (even with the loss, left a lot of points out there)

C tier (either better than I thought or worse than I thought)
Okie State worse
West Virginia better
Iowa State better
Texas Tech worse

D tier (going to be a long season)
BYU
Houston

F tier (complete ass)
Baylor

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2023, 11:35:34 AM »
I'd move UCF up next to Texas. Probably move OSU down.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 03, 2023, 12:00:40 PM »
I didn’t watch UCF, were they pretty good?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 03, 2023, 12:05:23 PM »

Not sure how bad Kent State is, but after watching Baylor, OSU, and Tech, the 50 point win seems pretty good.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 03, 2023, 12:29:57 PM »
Just from an interest perspective all of the western teams are intriguing to me for various reasons. I have a hard time thinking much about the eastern additions. Maybe that will change in time. Dunno. Just feels like BYU and the 4 corners “feel” B12. Kind of Houston too, but not as much.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 03, 2023, 12:49:20 PM »
I think that's probably also cause those schools are coming from P5 or were independent. It's hard for me to source UCF and Cincy into my brain about them being in the Big12. Houston being in Texas just feels like it was a when not if scenario.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2023, 12:59:26 PM »
I feel pretty confident, looking at the schedule.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2023, 01:04:03 PM »
As of right now UCF and @Texas are the potentially most difficult games. Based entirely on watching one week of football.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 03, 2023, 01:17:39 PM »
This game against Troy might be the third toughest. Easiest schedule we have had in a very long time.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 03, 2023, 01:31:24 PM »
I am not sure UCF will be a challenge.  They played a perennial bottom-feeder and I was not really impressed.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 04, 2023, 06:36:22 PM »
This game against Troy might be the third toughest. Easiest schedule we have had in a very long time.

oh no

Offline bshea85

• B.S. Esq.
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 05, 2023, 09:48:10 AM »

We'll find out in a couple of weeks.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2023, 10:28:25 AM »
After week two overactions. Baylor and TT wins could've made this a banner weekend for the Big 12.

Tejas (beating Bama at Bama is an accomplishment no matter what, even if Bama is probably going to lose a game or two more)
K-State (no change, we still look solid despite the second quarter scary)

OU (SMU isn't shitty, but that seemed pedestrian by OU)
Cincy (they get a nod as beating Pitt on the road is a solid accomplishment, and I think they've proven to me that while they probably won't go to Jerry world, they will probably win 8-9 games)

UCF (I'd bump them up, but a last second win at Boise St is a lil concerning TBH for them)
KU (They did a good job vs Illinois, but kinda let them back in, they're definitely solid though)
TCU (decent bounce back, but lil worried for them)

Okie State (win on the road is solid, but it's Arizona St, not a believer)
West Virginia (holding pat, they are the definition of "ok")
Iowa State (had a decent comeback vs Iowa, they are weirdly an ok team to me)
Texas Tech (despite being 0-2, that was solid performance, the wins will start coming)
BYU (maybe not as bad as I thought, but they need to prove they are to stay in C tier)

Baylor (what moving up with a loss? yes, Utah is decent and Baylor let it go, but they aren't ass)

F tier (complete ass)
Houston (lol, even with the comeback, you shouldn't need to come back vs Rice, to only lose in OT)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2023, 10:38:26 AM »
I agree that OU doesn’t belong in the A group yet.

Regarding OU vs SMU

“We got beat 28-11, give them credit, but I think we all know the game is a lot closer than that," SMU coach Rhett Lashlee said. "Give them credit. In the last 12 minutes, they beat us 14 to nothing. So they deserved that part. But for three and a half quarters, it was pretty much evenly matched.”

https://www.espn.com/college-football/recap/_/gameId/401525830

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 10, 2023, 10:43:48 AM »
UCF is interesting to me.  They deserve a lot of credit winning on the road at a decent program, two time zones away, at 2000 feet more elevation, on weird blue turf. 

BUT, they couldn’t score many points, and just the week before Washington crushed Boise.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 10, 2023, 12:55:55 PM »
I know Illinois is ass but KU should probably get equal credit as Cincinnati

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 10, 2023, 02:37:06 PM »
i think ucf is pretty good, like 20-25 good

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 10, 2023, 03:37:52 PM »
I know Illinois is ass but KU should probably get equal credit as Cincinnati

Road vs home is my difference in my mind. Like same reason I was going to bump up UCF had that been less of a nail bitter for them. Like ku could rise if they whip up on @ Nevada, but it has to be a whippin since Nevada is complete ass, way worse that Illinois is. If Nevada keeps it closer than they did against Idaho it's hard for me to raise ku to A tier, yet. Plus I think Pitt is better than Illinois.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 18, 2023, 08:04:02 PM »
Week 3 overreactions. Cats first loss has them slip. Overall a pretty mixed week for the Big 12

Tejas,  the forerunner, Wyoming wasn't great but still 3-0 is 3-0
OU, Tulsa sucks but that was an ass whipping and they get the nod

K-State, didn't do enough for the win despite a lot of chances. Going to need to pick it up especially with UCF coming
KU, Nevada is garbage but a win on the road and 3-0 gets them the bump
UCF, 3-0 and now we'll see how they do against easily their hardest game to date.
BYU, huge movers with the win of the week at Arkansas and are 3-0, proving me wrong

Cincy, maybe their wtf game? Still losing to Miami Ohio is pretty bleh
TCU, it's still a conference win, but Houston. No change for now.

West Virginia, solid win in a rivalry game. Definitely on watch to rise.
Texas Tech, it's Tarleton, so not going up. But maybe more wins to come?

Baylor, still solidly sucky but not ass
Iowa State, maybe they deserve ass, but it was on the road and only by 3, that is reserved for some other school

F tier (complete ass)
Houston, keep dat ass going
Oklahoma State, wow. It's one thing to lose to a lesser school. That's bad. It's another to completely be demolished by them, at home no less. Probably time for the mullet to hang it up.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 24, 2023, 08:44:07 AM »
Week 4 overreactions. Big 12 play underway

Tejas,  no movement, still the pace car, their ultimate kryptonite is on deck (KU)
OU, Cincy ain't great, but a 2 TD win is a 2 TD win, I do expect a few loses for them eventually

K-State, was not so great at times, and then really great in other, a complete game needs to happen at some point
KU, solid win vs a solid team, now Tejas is on deck.

TCU, no movement up yet, but a solid win vs SMU, another win they are A tier (or if WV wins they make A tier)
UCF, a decent performance, but just don't have the depth/defense to compete in the league I feel
BYU, too many mistakes to allow them to win, but they will win plenty
West Virginia, welcome to the B tier, and Neal is making that seat not warm at all. Only loss to good Penn State team and they did ok in that? Good for them

Cincy, don't have the horses for this yet
Iowa State, win and you're up, even if Okie State is ass.

Texas Tech, I have to drop them, 1-3 is unacceptable for a "dark horse" team. Very disappointing, another loss they are ass, especially if that loss is to Houston

F tier (complete ass)
Baylor, I get Tejas is good, but they are ass
Houston, keep dat ass going, at least they are champions of an ass city (Houston)
Oklahoma State, keep dat ass going, ISU ain't great, but Okie State is ass