Author Topic: Rank the new Big 12  (Read 9445 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: Rank the new Big 12
« Reply #125 on: October 16, 2023, 07:41:26 AM »
Can you elaborate on ranking OSU below both KSU and KU?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 16, 2023, 07:44:40 AM »
At this point, I’d bet on Bedlam Part 2 as the Big 12 championship game. 

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 16, 2023, 08:04:17 AM »
Can you elaborate on ranking OSU below both KSU and KU?
I don't believe in them still and neither team got destroyed by South Alabama. But we'll see.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 16, 2023, 08:08:53 AM »
I do acknowledge that ranking the best teams is different than ranking the odds for the conference championship game, but to me OSU’s remaining schedule appears to be setup perfectly.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 16, 2023, 08:24:29 AM »
I do acknowledge that ranking the best teams is different than ranking the odds for the conference championship game, but to me OSU’s remaining schedule appears to be setup perfectly.

So you think OSU goes 8-1 with a loss in bedlam 1.0 and UT goes 7-2 or worse and misses out?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 22, 2023, 10:12:12 AM »
Week 8 overreactions.

S tier (will be in Jerry World)
OU, still top, but UCF was coming hard, they are lucky
Tejas, still second, but Houston was coming hard as well, they are lucky

A tier (still good and could be there)
Okie State, ok, they proved me very wrong, and that's fine. Definitely got the mullet off any hot seat talk
K-State, the best quarter of football ever played, the rest of the game was still fairly good but stepped off the accelerator. Houston will still not great is now playing well.

B tier (looked good but still iffy long term)
KU, sleepyhawk.gif, don't get to rise just cause of a bye. They could easily if they beat OU
Iowa State, sleepyclone.gif, they got a chance to get themselves into the A, which is kinda crazy

C tier (either better than I thought or worse than I thought)
BYU, rising a bit, a win vs a faltering TT will do that, see what happens vs Tejas

D tier (going to be a long season)
WVU, Okie State has completely turned around, and so has WVU, in the wrong direction
TCU, I get it was a freshman QB, but that was an abysmal defense.
Houston, not moving down even with the loss, they played Texas very tough, and had a chance, not ass (for now)
Baylor, a win keeps you off dat ass

F tier (complete ass)
Texas Tech, they ass, sorry
Cincy, keep dat ass going
UCF, hard to keep them as ass with that performance vs OU, but you also don't get to rise so there's that
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 10:16:46 AM by cfbandyman »
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 22, 2023, 07:08:05 PM »

So you think OSU goes 8-1 with a loss in bedlam 1.0 and UT goes 7-2 or worse and misses out?
No, I think OSU beats OU in Stillwater. Does it come down to rankings if OSU, OU, and UT all have one loss?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 22, 2023, 07:08:20 PM »
Houston, most definitely is, was, and will be ass for the conceivable future

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 23, 2023, 10:01:00 AM »

So you think Texas just isn't that good, or played down to their competition?

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 23, 2023, 10:08:24 AM »
Week 8 overreactions.

S tier (will be in Jerry World)
OU, still top, but UCF was coming hard, they are lucky
Tejas, still second, but Houston was coming hard as well, they are lucky

A tier (still good and could be there)
Okie State, ok, they proved me very wrong, and that's fine. Definitely got the mullet off any hot seat talk
K-State, the best quarter of football ever played, the rest of the game was still fairly good but stepped off the accelerator. Houston will still not great is now playing well.

B tier (looked good but still iffy long term)
KU, sleepyhawk.gif, don't get to rise just cause of a bye. They could easily if they beat OU
Iowa State, sleepyclone.gif, they got a chance to get themselves into the A, which is kinda crazy

C tier (either better than I thought or worse than I thought)
BYU, rising a bit, a win vs a faltering TT will do that, see what happens vs Tejas

D tier (going to be a long season)
WVU, Okie State has completely turned around, and so has WVU, in the wrong direction
TCU, I get it was a freshman QB, but that was an abysmal defense.
Houston, not moving down even with the loss, they played Texas very tough, and had a chance, not ass (for now)
Baylor, a win keeps you off dat ass

F tier (complete ass)
Texas Tech, they ass, sorry
Cincy, keep dat ass going
UCF, hard to keep them as ass with that performance vs OU, but you also don't get to rise so there's that

I would argue the beat quarter of football ever played was the 1Q against bama, but otherwise I find this assessment mostly agreeable

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 23, 2023, 10:52:27 AM »

No, I think OSU beats OU in Stillwater. Does it come down to rankings if OSU, OU, and UT all have one loss?

Tiebreaker is head-to-head game outcome?

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 23, 2023, 11:01:06 AM »
UT would be on the outside looking in for that scenario I believe.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 23, 2023, 11:26:34 AM »

Multiple-Team Ties

In the event of a tie between more than two teams, the following procedures will be used. After one team has an advantage and is “seeded”, all remaining teams in the multiple-team tiebreaker will repeat the multiple-team tie-breaking procedure. If at any point the multiple-team tie is reduced to two teams, the two-team tie-breaking procedure will be applied.

1. Head-to-head (best cumulative win percentage in games among the tied teams). If not, every tied team has played each other, go to step 2.

2. Record against the next highest placed common opponent in the standings (based on record in all games played within the conference), proceeding through the standings.
    1.When arriving at another group of tied teams while comparing records, use each team’s win percentage against the collective tied teams as a group (prior to that group’s own tie-breaking procedure) rather than the performance against individual tied teams.

3. Win percentage against all common conference opponents (must be common among all teams involved in the tie).

4. Combined win percentage in conference games of conference opponents (ie, strength of conference schedule).

5. Total number of wins in a 12-game season. The following conditions will apply to the calculation of the total number of wins:
    1. Only one win against a team from the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision or lower division will be counted annually.
    2. Any games that are exempted from counting against the annual maximum number of football contests per NCAA rules. (current Bylaw 17.10.5.2.1) shall not be included.

6. Highest ranking by SportSource Analytics (team Rating Score metric) following the last weekend of regular-season games.

7. Coin toss

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 23, 2023, 04:36:35 PM »

Multiple-Team Ties

In the event of a tie between more than two teams, the following procedures will be used. After one team has an advantage and is “seeded”, all remaining teams in the multiple-team tiebreaker will repeat the multiple-team tie-breaking procedure. If at any point the multiple-team tie is reduced to two teams, the two-team tie-breaking procedure will be applied.

1. Head-to-head (best cumulative win percentage in games among the tied teams). If not, every tied team has played each other, go to step 2.

2. Record against the next highest placed common opponent in the standings (based on record in all games played within the conference), proceeding through the standings.
    1.When arriving at another group of tied teams while comparing records, use each team’s win percentage against the collective tied teams as a group (prior to that group’s own tie-breaking procedure) rather than the performance against individual tied teams.

3. Win percentage against all common conference opponents (must be common among all teams involved in the tie).

4. Combined win percentage in conference games of conference opponents (ie, strength of conference schedule).

5. Total number of wins in a 12-game season. The following conditions will apply to the calculation of the total number of wins:
    1. Only one win against a team from the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision or lower division will be counted annually.
    2. Any games that are exempted from counting against the annual maximum number of football contests per NCAA rules. (current Bylaw 17.10.5.2.1) shall not be included.

6. Highest ranking by SportSource Analytics (team Rating Score metric) following the last weekend of regular-season games.

7. Coin toss
Assuming OSU, OU, UT win out (except for Bedlam), and all finish at 8-1 (which is very unlikely), I think OSU is getting left out because of their loss to ISU under Multi-Team Tiebreaker Rule 2.  In this scenario, OU and UT would have played and beat ISU, and OSU lost to ISU.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 23, 2023, 04:41:54 PM »

So you think Texas just isn't that good, or played down to their competition?

super bowl/blind squirrel, nut

even after the Texas game their team efficiencies are in the 60s, by far the least efficient FBS team we've played, damn near 20 points lower than Troy.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 24, 2023, 07:05:35 AM »
Yeah if Houston isn’t the worst team in the league they’re darn close.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 24, 2023, 07:17:33 AM »
guess we're just going to have to beat texas

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 24, 2023, 08:46:35 AM »
guess we're just going to have to beat texas

Yep, that game will be do or die for both teams. Win that one, and the winner has a good chance of winning on out and making Arlington. Lose, and you're almost surely eliminated from the race.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 24, 2023, 09:29:47 AM »
I think they have quite a few key players injured, might be catching them at just the right time

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 24, 2023, 09:38:20 AM »
OSU could be ranked anywhere from #2-12 completely depending on the availability of Ollie Gordon. If he plays, they're one of the best teams in the conference.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 25, 2023, 11:07:05 AM »
OSU could be ranked anywhere from #2-12 completely depending on the availability of Ollie Gordon. If he plays, they're one of the best teams in the conference.

I don't do as good a job on keeping up on other teams/players any more, and had no idea who this guy was or is, but you're right. He's performing like an all conference 1st teamer. OSU is a solid team with him playing significant snaps.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 25, 2023, 02:19:04 PM »

I don't do as good a job on keeping up on other teams/players any more, and had no idea who this guy was or is, but you're right. He's performing like an all conference 1st teamer. OSU is a solid team with him playing significant snaps.

I have heard that he rode the bench in the beging of the season.  Seems the Mullet and the OC didn't know what they had.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.