Author Topic: Can a centrist party ever exist in America again?  (Read 2026 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Can a centrist party ever exist in America again?
« on: May 13, 2023, 09:23:50 PM »
I'd kill a drifter to have a party that was completely centrist.  I want a party that simply says "what's the lesser evil," and then deals to get that done.  I am willing to give up anything in a deal to get things done that on balance make things better for everyone...gun control, abortion, taxes, defense spending....Make me an offer!  I'll compromise on anything if the net benefit helps humans more.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Can a centrist party ever exist in America again?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2023, 09:29:18 PM »
Again?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2023, 09:29:52 PM »
I think so. The noisy people will claim they suck, but they’ll know inside. Ben Sasse is available I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2023, 09:37:27 PM »
Again?

Fair point.  But the question remains.

Offline turnbull

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2023, 09:45:59 PM »
I'd kill a drifter to have a party that was completely centrist.  I want a party that simply says "what's the lesser evil," and then deals to get that done.  I am willing to give up anything in a deal to get things done that on balance make things better for everyone...gun control, abortion, taxes, defense spending....Make me an offer!  I'll compromise on anything if the net benefit helps humans more.

No it isn't possible...at least not for the time being. Until the fever breaks in MAGA land where we go back to elections where the danger is minor if the opposing party wins (Clinton vs Dole) where no matter what we'll be fine it's not possible. The problem with the 3rd party dream is that you're not pulling off the extremes you are pulling from the people who say they're centrist right now. The MAGA verse will do whatever it takes to get MAGA back...to include celebrating a traitor leaker who is a white supremacist, you have a sitting Senator defending White Nationalists currently.....the danger of that 3rd party is it pulls from Centrist Democrats, or soft independents that would elsewise support the Democrats. So the action here is MAGA (which is a parasite) to which will get 45% of the vote no matter what, Democrat (they may make you mad that is fine but they're not throwing an insurrection because they lost) have a ceiling of their own of about 47%, or 3rd Party, which has about 8% of the population willing to do that vote...This because of the Electoral College insures the MAGA party wins because their people aren't going to defect no matter what.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2023, 09:50:30 PM by turnbull »

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2023, 10:27:19 PM »
Centrist things don’t really draw lots of passionate support. Indifference is arguably a big characteristic of most centrists.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2023, 10:38:55 PM »
Centrist things don’t really draw lots of passionate support. Indifference is arguably a big characteristic of most centrists.
Yeah getting a passionate centrist base is the key and also exactly why this has never happened.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2023, 11:35:29 PM »
Pete, what are a few of the Democrats positions you find the most extreme?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2023, 12:46:49 AM »
It’s not as much that I find any of them so extreme that they put me off, it’s that I find myself unwilling to fight for them.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2023, 04:38:05 AM »

Yeah getting a passionate centrist base is the key and also exactly why this has never happened.

Obama, but he was great at convincing people he wasn't a centrist

And Pete, liberal Democrats who control the party are the centrists

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2023, 07:45:59 AM »
It’s not as much that I find any of them so extreme that they put me off, it’s that I find myself unwilling to fight for them.

I’ve never met you so I don’t know for sure, but wild guess: you’re a white male?
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2023, 08:14:28 AM »
How dare you
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2023, 09:26:11 AM »
 :lol:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2023, 09:34:07 AM »
Not possible. 85 million voted for a sexual predator segregationist racist grifting war monger who is controlled by the weirdest collection of Uber neocons, virtue signaling Wall Street mega banks, far left dark money, fascistic control freaks and neoliberal progressives ever assembled and apparently a substantial portion of the country are all for it.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2023, 10:36:41 AM »

Obama, but he was great at convincing people he wasn't a centrist

And Pete, liberal Democrats who control the party are the centrists
Policy wise I think that’s fair, but Obama didn’t get people horned up over policy.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2023, 11:45:20 AM »
Not possible. 85 million voted for a sexual predator segregationist racist grifting war monger who is controlled by the weirdest collection of Uber neocons, virtue signaling Wall Street mega banks, far left dark money, fascistic control freaks and neoliberal progressives ever assembled and apparently a substantial portion of the country are all for it.

Dax, have you considered cleaning up your writing style? It's just really annoying to read your posts, and I don't want to put you on ignore (that's weak). Focus on short, declarative sentences. Reading Hemingway might help.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2023, 03:41:15 PM »
lol, the democrats are centrist a.f. What policies have the democrats advanced in the last 20 years that are left of the mainstream? List them here

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2023, 03:58:11 PM »
If you define centrist as some sort of average between political parties, then no there will never be a successful centrist party because of math.

Offline turnbull

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2023, 04:53:28 PM »
lol, the democrats are centrist a.f. What policies have the democrats advanced in the last 20 years that are left of the mainstream? List them here

This is also true, the Republicans moved their 40 yard line to somewhere a mile away. Whereas the Democrats are roughly the same party they’ve been since 1992

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2023, 06:55:09 PM »
As someone who considers themselves a staunch centrist, I would be equally comfortable being labeled a staunch competent Democrat. In either case it seems like fantasyland at this point.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2023, 08:54:15 PM »
If you define centrist as some sort of average between political parties, then no there will never be a successful centrist party because of math.
I agree. Upon reflection, I should have said “will we ever have a party that is totally OK with just making compromises and deals to get things done.” As someone pointed out, we might have had that for a while after Nixon, but it didn’t last very long.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2023, 12:46:01 AM »
I agree. Upon reflection, I should have said “will we ever have a party that is totally OK with just making compromises and deals to get things done.” As someone pointed out, we might have had that for a while after Nixon, but it didn’t last very long.

Again, then democrats have been doing this, to their detriment from the start. It's why we have shitty Obamacare instead of single payer health care. He could have pretty easily done that his first two years in office. It's why we have a stacked conservative court. It's also why Roe vs. Wade and the Voter's Rights Act is gone. It's why we don't have any significant gun legislation. The Dems could have done all this and more the first two years of Biden's term, but they didn't because they continue to insist on trying to play ball with the republicans no matter how often they've been burned.

They continue to do these things to get mushed, exclusively to appear to centrist despite their actual platform, and despite republicans continued unwillingness to work with them. Republicans have moved right for electibility, dems have stayed in the middle for the same reason, they want to take advantage of the republicans who have supposedly been left behind. They've tried this since the Reagan Administration.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2023, 07:14:07 AM »
Who doesn’t have the right to vote in the United States?  Besides people that are too young.

Oh wait, being ‘denied’ the right to vote really means being denied the non right to participate in a voting methodology free-for-all crap show with no accountability or rules. NVM

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2023, 07:45:33 AM »

This is also true, the Republicans moved their 40 yard line to somewhere a mile away. Whereas the Democrats are roughly the same party they’ve been since 1992
[/b]

:lol: :lol:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2023, 09:19:56 AM »
I agree that a massive obstacle to progress in this country is that the GOP is chained to a collection of “single issue voters.”  That’s the enormous downside of their big tent approach.