Author Topic: Huggins goes the way of most couches in WV  (Read 11137 times)

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
Re: Huggins goes the way of most couches in WV
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2023, 01:07:52 PM »
Did he not think he was live? Or just really pak'd?

my hunch is pak'd

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2023, 01:59:15 PM »
yeah, pak'd

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2023, 02:17:31 PM »
I’m not sure Huggins BAC is ever 0
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2023, 02:28:03 PM »
I'm guessing:

Suspended by the school for the first 3 or 4 games
Has to take some inclusivity training thing

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2023, 03:08:04 PM »
should make him coach the first 3 or 4 games in drag

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2023, 03:27:11 PM »
Raise and extension.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2023, 03:31:20 PM »
They really should require rehab. Functional alcoholics are only functional until they aren't.

Offline ELL3

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2023, 11:08:01 PM »
They play UMass this season, Frank and Bob, oh boy

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2023, 11:36:44 PM »
should make him coach the first 3 or 4 games in drag

literal LOL/snort

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2023, 10:49:57 AM »
They play UMass this season, Frank and Bob, oh boy

I was going to say WVU should get the firing going now, but goddamn if that won’t be good content. I hope they wait until after that game to fire him.

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1656308271349637122
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2023, 01:03:43 PM »
early suspension, 1 million pay cut and classes

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2023, 02:31:18 PM »
Million dollar fine is wild.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2023, 02:44:48 PM »
That’s a lot of bourbon
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2023, 06:33:34 PM »
That’s a lot of bourbon

still plenty of $ left tho...question is how far will he have to downgrade
https://www.beamdistilling.com/our-brands/old-crow-bourbon

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2023, 06:59:34 PM »
bob huggins is a 70 year old man who happens to be intolerant towards people different than him, and who also is good at coaching basketball.  the $1m probably means very little to him.  nothing about this “punishment” is going to have any effect on this man.

i wonder what his thoughts would be on black dudes had he not climbed to his perch on their backs.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2023, 10:50:36 AM »
bob huggins is a 70 year old man who happens to be intolerant towards people different than him, and who also is good at coaching basketball.  the $1m probably means very little to him.  nothing about this “punishment” is going to have any effect on this man.

i wonder what his thoughts would be on black dudes had he not climbed to his perch on their backs.

I'm not that cynical. "Sensitivity training" is pretty nebulous but if done comprehensively and in conjunction with LGBTQ groups, it has the ability to be transformative and that should be the point. I really hope there's a public component of this, like some PSAs or speeches involved. I'm not interested in careers ending, I'm much more interested in people's minds being changed and more people seeing the LGBTQ community as humans. I think Huggins is powerful enough in West Virginia to change some minds, if his is changed. Will any of this happens, doubtful, but I hope it does.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2023, 11:09:49 AM »
I have a feeling that WVU saw an opportunity for a win/win for the uni.  Win #1 is that they get a fantastic coach with a great transfer class on fire sale.  Win #2 is that they didn't want to fire Bob because of this(I am guessing) and now they don't have to change anything and get to keep their incoming class. 

If they really wanted to make a statement, they would be using that mil for something LGBTQ related.  The initial issue was all Bob.  The reaction and outcome is all about WVU and they have chosen to get a coach on sale and make him say sorry, neither of which is anything but positive to the university. 

I don't think training is going to do anything for someone who is as casual about it as bob.  I haven't taken the time to dive into it, but I would be willing to bet that this kind of training doesn't statistically move the needle.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2023, 01:46:30 PM »
I have a feeling that WVU saw an opportunity for a win/win for the uni.  Win #1 is that they get a fantastic coach with a great transfer class on fire sale.  Win #2 is that they didn't want to fire Bob because of this(I am guessing) and now they don't have to change anything and get to keep their incoming class. 

If they really wanted to make a statement, they would be using that mil for something LGBTQ related.  The initial issue was all Bob.  The reaction and outcome is all about WVU and they have chosen to get a coach on sale and make him say sorry, neither of which is anything but positive to the university. 

I don't think training is going to do anything for someone who is as casual about it as bob.  I haven't taken the time to dive into it, but I would be willing to bet that this kind of training doesn't statistically move the needle.

The money is going to LTGBQ+ causes on campus and in West Virginia.
https://wvusports.com/news/2023/5/10/mens-basketball-statement-from-president-e-gordon-gee-and-director-of-athletics-wren-baker.aspx
The annual compensation of Coach Huggins will be reduced by $1 million. Those dollars will be used to directly support WVU's LGBTQ+ Center, the Carruth Center and other state and national organizations that support marginalized communities. University leadership will seek input from these organizations to determine how to best utilize those funds.
They're appearing to be saying the right things and have intent to do the right things, let's see how the follow up goes
Next, according to the Williams Institute, West Virginia has the highest percentage of transgender youth in the nation. To address the concerns of our West Virginia youth, Coach Huggins will be required to meet with LGBTQ+ leaders from across West Virginia with guidance from the leadership of WVU's LGBTQ+ Center. We want to partner with ACLU-WV, Fairness WV, Morgantown Pride and other organizations to elevate the conversation regarding the issues that affect our state. Through those conversations, we expect Coach Huggins, in accordance with these partners, to engage in additional opportunities to show support for the LGBTQ+ community.
I am looking forward to working with WVU's LGBTQ+ Center and other state organizations to learn more about the issues facing the community. As a leader, I am eager to use my platform to take what I learn and share it with a broader audience.

I also regret my comments regarding Xavier University. I am hopeful that my personal donation to the university to support its Center for Faith and Justice and its Center for Diversity and Inclusion will further the work it does and the impact it has on its students.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2023, 04:09:23 PM »
Glad to hear they are using the money that way.  Good on them.

I would have never guessed that about the transgender pop in WV.  That kinda blows my mind tbh. 

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2023, 06:05:27 PM »
I wonder if they require him to take a breathalyzer before those inclusivity sessions.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2023, 07:17:30 PM »
I really hope they address the drinking, I'm sure they won't.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2023, 08:19:11 PM »
I wouldn’t discount the impact that some immersion therapy can have. Like sitting in a room face to face with people, heartbroken and despondent bc a very vocal swath of society hates you for existing and is doing everything they can to snuff you out or at least make your life even more miserable. Actually having to look that person in the eye and see their pain can be very transformative

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2023, 10:43:51 PM »
I wouldn’t discount the impact that some immersion therapy can have. Like sitting in a room face to face with people, heartbroken and despondent bc a very vocal swath of society hates you for existing and is doing everything they can to snuff you out or at least make your life even more miserable. Actually having to look that person in the eye and see their pain can be very transformative

Worked with Tim Hardaway

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2023, 12:33:18 AM »

With Huggins, it's more like faced to face.

Offline Hurricane Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2023, 02:23:50 PM »

I'm not that cynical. "Sensitivity training" is pretty nebulous but if done comprehensively and in conjunction with LGBTQ groups, it has the ability to be transformative and that should be the point. I really hope there's a public component of this, like some PSAs or speeches involved. I'm not interested in careers ending, I'm much more interested in people's minds being changed and more people seeing the LGBTQ community as humans. I think Huggins is powerful enough in West Virginia to change some minds, if his is changed. Will any of this happens, doubtful, but I hope it does.

Well said and  :crossfingers: