Author Topic: Explain fentanyl to me  (Read 4735 times)

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: Explain fentanyl to me
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2023, 09:45:03 AM »
Worth noting that the overwhelming majority of heroin users are not people who just decided one day “hey ya know what? I think I’ll dabble with heroin because why not?” It’s almost always a less potent opioid like oxy, Abe’s in many cases those ppl were not interested in being drug users, their doctors just gave them opioids bc they fell off the ladder when they were hanging their Christmas lights and the doc said “yeah an opioid is appropriate” and then bam they addicted and yes it really can (and does!) happen that way bc of the frighteningly addictive properties of opioids. A then when they can’t get any more refills, it’s not like the addiction just magically goes away, unfortunately

:thumbs:  This fentanyl uproar should serve as a call to action in the medical industry or regulation world as to such prescriptions and not making them or only making them when there's some control involved for avoiding that addiction and having plans for getting those people transitioned out of the prescription.

The good folks at Perdue have assured us that these drugs are perfectly safe and non-addictive

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2023, 09:47:39 AM »
Let's not secure the border (and amend immigration policy) cus Fent doesn't really seem to be all that bad, and it mainly just kills people already addicted to drugs . . . #blueanongE

Thanks Tucker. I am so sick of right wing boogeyman'ing of migrants. The vast majority is coming in through ports of entry. Mostly by cargo ship. Migrants aren't schlepping drugs into this country in any meaningful way.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2023, 09:51:47 AM »
Let's not secure the border (and amend immigration policy) cus Fent doesn't really seem to be all that bad, and it mainly just kills people already addicted to drugs . . . #blueanongE

Thanks Tucker. I am so sick of right wing boogeyman'ing of migrants. The vast majority is coming in through ports of entry. Mostly by cargo ship. Migrants aren't schlepping drugs into this country in any meaningful way.

Who said anything about migrants you giant derp?  The Drug Cartels and the Chinese money launders and "rogue" (likely state sponsored) component suppliers are not migrants. 

Also what part of "amend immigration policy" was confusing to you?

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2023, 09:51:58 AM »
Worth noting that the overwhelming majority of heroin users are not people who just decided one day “hey ya know what? I think I’ll dabble with heroin because why not?” It’s almost always a less potent opioid like oxy, Abe’s in many cases those ppl were not interested in being drug users, their doctors just gave them opioids bc they fell off the ladder when they were hanging their Christmas lights and the doc said “yeah an opioid is appropriate” and then bam they addicted and yes it really can (and does!) happen that way bc of the frighteningly addictive properties of opioids. A then when they can’t get any more refills, it’s not like the addiction just magically goes away, unfortunately

:thumbs:  This fentanyl uproar should serve as a call to action in the medical industry or regulation world as to such prescriptions and not making them or only making them when there's some control involved for avoiding that addiction and having plans for getting those people transitioned out of the prescription.

The good folks at Perdue have assured us that these drugs are perfectly safe and non-addictive
I think a lot of Dr's were duped by the manufacturers. My Dr in no way is a pill pusher. He rarely even gives me antibiotics. When I had my first kidney stone about 15 years ago I had to wait about a week for surgery since it was stuck. He threw a giant bottle of oxy at me for the pain.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2023, 09:54:36 AM »

I think a lot of Dr's were duped by the manufacturers. My Dr in no way is a pill pusher. He rarely even gives me antibiotics. When I had my first kidney stone about 15 years ago I had to wait about a week for surgery since it was stuck. He threw a giant bottle of oxy at me for the pain.

Doctors don't do that now from what I've observed.  Anecdotally it takes substantial, usually orthopedic surgeries to get prescribed opioid based pain killers, and it's tightly monitored.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2023, 09:58:53 AM »

Doctors don't do that now from what I've observed.  Anecdotally it takes substantial, usually orthopedic surgeries to get prescribed opioid based pain killers, and it's tightly monitored.
I got some the other day for some oral surgery but it was only like 5. And they were just Vicodin. When I was in college I had wisdom teeth removed and some other stuff done and the doc gave me 60 (!) Vicodin and I definitely didn’t need that many but man I took them anyway. After a month I ran out and even those “mid” opioids had me fully understanding how people got hooked on this stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2023, 09:59:15 AM »
i had fentanyl via IV in the hospital once and it's rough ridin' amazing

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2023, 10:00:09 AM »

I got some the other day for some oral surgery but it was only like 5. And they were just Vicodin. When I was in college I had wisdom teeth removed and some other stuff done and the doc gave me 60 (!) Vicodin and I definitely didn’t need that many but man I took them anyway. After a month I ran out and even those “mid” opioids had me fully understanding how people got hooked on this stuff.

Hammering home my point about doctors rolling back on this stuff, thanks SD  :thumbsup:

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2023, 10:00:11 AM »

Yeah, I don’t blame doctors (well, not all of them) and I understand the need for them to trust the pharmaceutical reps for giving them the important things to remember about their medications. In reality they do not have the time to independently research and verify all of those claims. It was beyond horrid that the pharma reps lied about the addictiveness of those drugs. Although the docs getting gifted rolex watches and fancy ski trips in the Swiss alps should maybe have been a bit more dubious

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2023, 10:00:42 AM »

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2023, 10:05:22 AM »

I think they're getting the message with some of these 11-figure settlements.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2023, 10:07:23 AM »

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2023, 10:08:36 AM »

I think they're getting the message with some of these 11-figure settlements.

Yeah, I'm sure they are going to lobby congress very aggressively to make themselves immune from future lawsuits so they can keep prescription costs low and continue to research new lifesaving drugs.

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2023, 10:10:36 AM »
This thread is the plot of Dopesick (great show).

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2023, 10:11:14 AM »

Hammering home my point about doctors rolling back on this stuff, thanks SD  :thumbsup:

dax, I realize it's probably just a reflex action at this point but I wasn't attempting to disagree with you at all there. was just providing my experience and confirming the differences you noted.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2023, 10:12:32 AM »
Goddamn, 12 hours, most of them sleeping hours, and I pretty much have all my curiosity satisfied as to what’s gone on with this story and the motivations of all the characters. gE does it again!

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2023, 10:15:21 AM »
Not gE'ing, there was a really good photo essay about fentanyl that I read about 2 mos ago. Cannot find the link now..

Edit: found it. absolutely gut-wrenching.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/interactive/2022/tijuana-mexico-fentanyl-crime/

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2023, 10:22:28 AM »
Goddamn, 12 hours, most of them sleeping hours, and I pretty much have all my curiosity satisfied as to what’s gone on with this story and the motivations of all the characters. gE does it again!

There is one other important thing you need to know. You* cannot OD or even her high from fentanyl by touching it or breathing the air in the immediate vicinity of it. It is physically impossible, that’s not how it works.

*unless you’re a cop. For some reason cops OD a lot when in the vicinity of the stuff. Also worth noting that the cops are legitimately overdosing, just strangely they don’t experience any of the classic symptoms of opioid overdose. In the worst cases their OD symptoms are very similar to having a panic attack.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2023, 10:29:31 AM »

There is one other important thing you need to know. You* cannot OD or even her high from fentanyl by touching it or breathing the air in the immediate vicinity of it. It is physically impossible, that’s not how it works.

*unless you’re a cop. For some reason cops OD a lot when in the vicinity of the stuff. Also worth noting that the cops are legitimately overdosing, just strangely they don’t experience any of the classic symptoms of opioid overdose. In the worst cases their OD symptoms are very similar to having a panic attack.

Yeah, I had a good handle on that.  This is all a complete non-issue for me, unless someone elects to use fentanyl and forcing/sneaking it into me as a means to do bad crap to me.  And it looks like those bad guys are attempting walmart fraud instead.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2023, 10:35:11 AM »
I have a giant bottle of oxy on my kitchen counter right now. After I was released from the hospital for surgery they gave me 14 pills because that is the max they are allowed. My oncologist gave me 120.

If this is the master opiate thread, I have a fun submission. I had to go to the ER in early January because I had a high fever, barfing, and the oxy wasn't working. When they finally got to running all the tests and crap they finally gave me morphine for the pain. So I have a port which is a little plastic reservoir implanted under my skin that has a tube that lays in a vein that terminates at the heart. It's really great if you have frequent iv treatments so they can just tap into the port instead of running an arm iv. Anyway morphine is supposed to be a slow push over a few minutes but this nurse just jammed the whole syringe down. I felt the morphine hit my heart and instantly spread to every corner of my body. Extremely intense experience.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2023, 10:38:39 AM »
I have a giant bottle of oxy on my kitchen counter right now. After I was released from the hospital for surgery they gave me 14 pills because that is the max they are allowed. My oncologist gave me 120.

If this is the master opiate thread, I have a fun submission. I had to go to the ER in early January because I had a high fever, barfing, and the oxy wasn't working. When they finally got to running all the tests and crap they finally gave me morphine for the pain. So I have a port which is a little plastic reservoir implanted under my skin that has a tube that lays in a vein that terminates at the heart. It's really great if you have frequent iv treatments so they can just tap into the port instead of running an arm iv. Anyway morphine is supposed to be a slow push over a few minutes but this nurse just jammed the whole syringe down. I felt the morphine hit my heart and instantly spread to every corner of my body. Extremely intense experience.

I bet that experience provoked some real thought afterward.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2023, 10:42:42 AM »
I literally exclaimed "holy crap!" and the nurse thought something was wrong, I'm like naw I just wasn't ready for that bro.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2023, 11:02:51 AM »
I literally exclaimed "holy crap!" and the nurse thought something was wrong, I'm like naw I just wasn't ready for that bro.
Another trip to the ER for another kidney stone netted me an IV with demerol (basically clinical heroin). When that stuff hit my heart I just melted into the hospital bed. I can easily see how people get addicted. Opioids are bad news as we all know.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2023, 11:03:38 AM »
i heard they mess up your pooping

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2023, 11:08:45 AM »
i heard they mess up your pooping

Shrooms, on the other hand … great for pooping!
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.