Author Topic: Explain fentanyl to me  (Read 4650 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Explain fentanyl to me
« on: March 01, 2023, 09:33:47 PM »
I see lots of freakouts about fentanyl, a lot of it appearing to be some crap said to justify border walls or whatever.

Is fentanyl a drug that drug users seek out?  Looks more like it’s getting mixed into other drugs. Why? For whose gain? Do drug dealers or someone further up the chain do that because it’s cheaper and they can sell an amount of supposedly some drug at full price when it’s actually some part other drug and other part fentanyl. Is it that, from the perspective of the druggie, that sort of product will get them more mumped up and they’ll prefer that over regular illegal drugs? Does that still make economic sense when you will end up killing off those customers quicker?

Does any of this create any danger to me if I already don’t do any drugs? I’m aware that there might be more/worse zombies around, but if they OD quicker, does it even out?

Basically, I want to know 1) within the drug world, how the economics of this works, and 2) does any of this matter to regular persons?

T-Y.

Asking here on gE because https://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=43574.0

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Explain fentanyl to me
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2023, 10:05:32 PM »
I think it gets cut in to make watered down opiates more potent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2023, 10:14:29 PM »

For who’s benefit?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2023, 10:18:49 PM »

For who’s benefit?
My guess is it's cheaper than like heroin or whatever. But if it's really easy for your customers to OD on that doesn't seem like the best business move but what do I know.

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2023, 10:55:09 PM »
It is synthetic heroin. I don’t know the mechanism for how it works but for whatever reason it hits that sweet spot of being cheaper than heroin but something like 10x the potency. So when dealers cut their heroin with fentanyl it’s not uncommon for users to O.D.

And there does not appear to be any heroin that is immune to being cut with fentanyl. See: the artist formerly known as Prince.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2023, 11:13:24 PM »
So let’s walk through the business plan of a heroin producer/dealer who has the option of substituting in part heroin and part fentanyl, or even entirely fentanyl, considering that those customers are much more likely to die.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2023, 11:29:50 PM »
I'd imagine if you're doing heroin you're playing with death.

My thoughts was more on Cires/it's a substitute opioid after you've been hooked on opioid painkillers and your scripts ran out and still need to dull the pain.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2023, 12:26:59 AM »
Listen carefully, I'm going to tell you a secret that big pharm doesn't want the masses to know.  Through pharmaceutical company reps, Doctors were given lots of money(sales bonus) to prescribe this crap in place of less harmful opioids, which were less effective to relieve pain and more costly. About 10 years ago the FDA grew some balls and started investigating this scheme.  They found out that it was widespread throughout the USA.  Many doctors and drug reps. ending up in jail and/or losing their jobs, or medical licenses.  Of course, now it's really hard to get fentanyl prescribed by medical doctors.  This is why it is a mostly black-market drug.  It's easy and cheap to make and is a stronger opioid than poppy, coke, morphine, or heroin.  People in pain love this crap, but dumb fucks that sell it don't know what the right strength/amount is for a customer to take.  Less than one gram can kill, BTW.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2023, 06:23:42 AM »
So let’s walk through the business plan of a heroin producer/dealer who has the option of substituting in part heroin and part fentanyl, or even entirely fentanyl, considering that those customers are much more likely to die.

Same business plan that Cigarette and Booze companies have. More customers are born everyday.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2023, 06:31:12 AM »

Yes it’s a calculated risk for sure, I can only assume the pool of customers is still large enough that even a bunch of them dying isn’t going to impact demand. But I would imagine the market will eventually self correct

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2023, 06:32:33 AM »

Same business plan that Cigarette and Booze companies have. More customers are born everyday.
The vast majority of booze and alcohol users consume decades' worth of product before they die from the product. To be fair I don't really know how fentanyl impacts opiate death rates but it seems like it has a pretty significant impact.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2023, 06:50:27 AM »

The vast majority of booze and alcoholusers consume decades' worth of product before they die from the product. To be fair I don't really know how fentanyl impacts opiate death rates but it seems like it has a pretty significant impact.

I’m really starting to be concerned with how often you do this now :frown:
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2023, 07:48:50 AM »
I think the real heroin (from poppies) is much harder to make and smuggle.  The synthetic stuff can be made in mexico in a lab with zero poppies.  So, might as well cut the expensive poppies derived stuff with the lab stuff fulfill consumer demand of the poppies stuff (not telling them, of course)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2023, 07:50:22 AM »
Then, there are people who just straight up want Fentanyl.  The danger there is that the dudes in the lab in mexico probably are not ISO and 6 sigma quality guys, and there is some variance from batch to batch and pill to pill in the dosage.  So, you are cruising along with your normal 10 fentanyl pills a day addiction or whatever, and then boom the next batch was a bit stronger and you OD.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2023, 07:50:52 AM »
Also, stay off opiates, kids.  Just don't do it.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2023, 08:32:37 AM »
Also, stay off opiates, kids.  Just don't do it.

Ultimately, that’s the takeaway I get from every fentanyl story. Not that border policies are killing us or that you’re gonna die eating halloween candy, but that it’s now even more dangerous to do those drugs. Kind of seems like a good thing all around?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2023, 08:38:02 AM »
How does china get involved then?

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2023, 08:40:29 AM »
Nearly all of the fentanyl raw material is produced in China.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2023, 08:45:57 AM »
Nearly all of the fentanyl raw material is produced in China.

why?  Seems like this is a low profit venture

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2023, 08:55:59 AM »
When I was waiting in the ER a few weeks ago I overheard a woman talking about how her grandson died from a fentanyl laced blunt
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2023, 09:05:07 AM »
When I was waiting in the ER a few weeks ago I overheard a woman talking about how her grandson died from a fentanyl laced blunt
Reason #3245 why most drugs need to be legalized.

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2023, 09:32:12 AM »
Worth noting that the overwhelming majority of heroin users are not people who just decided one day “hey ya know what? I think I’ll dabble with heroin because why not?” It’s almost always a less potent opioid like oxy, Abe’s in many cases those ppl were not interested in being drug users, their doctors just gave them opioids bc they fell off the ladder when they were hanging their Christmas lights and the doc said “yeah an opioid is appropriate” and then bam they addicted and yes it really can (and does!) happen that way bc of the frighteningly addictive properties of opioids. A then when they can’t get any more refills, it’s not like the addiction just magically goes away, unfortunately

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2023, 09:35:29 AM »
Let's not secure the border (and amend immigration policy) cus Fent doesn't really seem to be all that bad, and it mainly just kills people already addicted to drugs . . . #blueanongE

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2023, 09:40:26 AM »
Big pharma, still gross.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2023, 09:42:25 AM »
Worth noting that the overwhelming majority of heroin users are not people who just decided one day “hey ya know what? I think I’ll dabble with heroin because why not?” It’s almost always a less potent opioid like oxy, Abe’s in many cases those ppl were not interested in being drug users, their doctors just gave them opioids bc they fell off the ladder when they were hanging their Christmas lights and the doc said “yeah an opioid is appropriate” and then bam they addicted and yes it really can (and does!) happen that way bc of the frighteningly addictive properties of opioids. A then when they can’t get any more refills, it’s not like the addiction just magically goes away, unfortunately

:thumbs:  This fentanyl uproar should serve as a call to action in the medical industry or regulation world as to such prescriptions and not making them or only making them when there's some control involved for avoiding that addiction and having plans for getting those people transitioned out of the prescription.