Author Topic: The official goEMAW Swimming Pool thread.  (Read 5888 times)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: The official goEMAW Swimming Pool thread.
« Reply #100 on: May 25, 2023, 09:51:01 PM »
For sure

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 26, 2023, 01:50:14 AM »
My weiner is VSF
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 26, 2023, 09:34:53 AM »
So I think I have the explosion cause  pinpointed now.  This pool/spa has an old school plumbing set up. The spa is only 1/2” raised from the pool.  When it is like that, there is no need to plumb a spa overflow line during construction.  A spa overflow is utilized in systems where the attached spa is elevated as there needs to be a mechanical check valve in place on such systems in order from gravity taking over when the pump/waterflow turns off.  This is because in those systems, the spa will drain into the pool every night via the plumbing until the 2 connected but separate bodies of water equal a balanced state.  This results in water loss out the pool overflow drain.  The next day the pump turns on, the spa is filled by pulling water out of the pool, more water is added and water loss and chemical dilution occurs over and over and over againn.

So with this system, water is constantly going through the spa returns.  His system also had someone install dual salt cells on it last summer.  Salt cells constantly off gas sodium hydrochloride, hydrochlourus acid, and HYDROGEN.  The hydrogen gas over time made its way past the spa venturi plumbing and was just sitting in the air blower line waiting for a way to escape.  Well, there was no way to escape unless someone new this was happening and they as able to purge the line.  Not the case.  Me testing the air blower was the first opportunity the hydrogen had and it was via an ignition source.

So yeah, all signs point towards a hydrogen gas explosion that I got to experience yesterday.  Ad bad as it was, I am pretty sure it would have been much much worse later.  rough ridin' hell man.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 26, 2023, 10:00:22 AM »
So I think I have the explosion cause  pinpointed now.  This pool/spa has an old school plumbing set up. The spa is only 1/2” raised from the pool.  When it is like that, there is no need to plumb a spa overflow line during construction.  A spa overflow is utilized in systems where the attached spa is elevated as there needs to be a mechanical check valve in place on such systems in order from gravity taking over when the pump/waterflow turns off.  This is because in those systems, the spa will drain into the pool every night via the plumbing until the 2 connected but separate bodies of water equal a balanced state.  This results in water loss out the pool overflow drain.  The next day the pump turns on, the spa is filled by pulling water out of the pool, more water is added and water loss and chemical dilution occurs over and over and over againn.

So with this system, water is constantly going through the spa returns.  His system also had someone install dual salt cells on it last summer.  Salt cells constantly off gas sodium hydrochloride, hydrochlourus acid, and HYDROGEN.  The hydrogen gas over time made its way past the spa venturi plumbing and was just sitting in the air blower line waiting for a way to escape.  Well, there was no way to escape unless someone new this was happening and they as able to purge the line.  Not the case.  Me testing the air blower was the first opportunity the hydrogen had and it was via an ignition source.

So yeah, all signs point towards a hydrogen gas explosion that I got to experience yesterday.  Ad bad as it was, I am pretty sure it would have been much much worse later.  rough ridin' hell man.
AST out here doing gods work, maybe charge hazard pay if you have been tasked with playing bomb squad in the future.
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 26, 2023, 10:13:52 AM »
a hydrogen gas explosion

OH THE POOLMANITY!

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 26, 2023, 10:14:24 AM »
Glad you are ok AST, that is some scary crap.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 26, 2023, 10:49:41 AM »
a hydrogen gas explosion

OH THE POOLMANITY!

I risk my life ever day on the front lines of Pool War III and I and my fellow poolttiots to not appreciate this level of casual dismissal of the heroic and absolutely necessary risks we take for society!  I patiently await your apology.  Good day.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 26, 2023, 10:58:49 AM »
a hydrogen gas explosion

OH THE POOLMANITY!

I risk my life ever day on the front lines of Pool War III and I and my fellow poolttiots to not appreciate this level of casual dismissal of the heroic and absolutely necessary risks we take for society!  I patiently await your apology.  Good day.

if i apologized i'd be lion, mane

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 26, 2023, 10:59:39 AM »
but fr are you not familiar with the hindenburg audio?

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 26, 2023, 11:10:24 AM »
 :impatient:
but fr are you not familiar with the hindenburg audio?

Yes,  I was working in more pool related humor!  I truly appreciated the joke and why I attempted to reply in kind. 

I thought pooltriot was stellar enough to overshadow the Pool War III which I knew was week but rolled with in anyways. I will do better next time.  Or effort to.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 26, 2023, 11:23:49 AM »

But for real, are the homeowners pissed that you blew up their hot tub?

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 26, 2023, 12:01:37 PM »

Nah, they are cool.  It was either me doing it when I was there or them doing it while they were there with their kids.  This property is north of $10mil so they have the money to address it and no for a fact that there is nothing I did that caused this.  I was just the unfortunate person there that got to witness it play out.

1. Glad I was not hurt.
2. Anxious to find out why to prevent it from happening again with even possible worse results. 

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 26, 2023, 01:04:24 PM »

Nah, they are cool.  It was either me doing it when I was there or them doing it while they were there with their kids.  This property is north of $10mil so they have the money to address it and no for a fact that there is nothing I did that caused this.  I was just the unfortunate person there that got to witness it play out.

1. Glad I was not hurt.
2. Anxious to find out why to prevent it from happening again with even possible worse results.

If it wasn't you who did the salt cell thing, you should tell that customer to file a claim against salt cell guy's insurance.  Sounds like he mumped up and is lucky he didn't kill a pool full of kids.  His insurance should certainly pay for the putting back together of things.  You might also need to have your ringing ears checked and see if you should file a claim on said dood.  This is exactly why Commercial Liability Insurance exists and why folks should make sure their contractors have it.

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 26, 2023, 01:39:50 PM »

1. Glad I was not hurt.

If it wasn't you who did the salt cell thing, you should tell that customer to file a claim against salt cell guy's insurance.  Sounds like he mumped up and is lucky he didn't kill a pool full of kids.  His insurance should certainly pay for the putting back together of things.  You might also need to have your ringing ears checked and see if you should file a claim on said dood.  This is exactly why Commercial Liability Insurance exists and why folks should make sure their contractors have it.

Unfortunately it is not that cut and dry.  Salt cells are installed on spa only systems all the time that feature venturis and air blower lines.  The manufacturer engineers are getting all the pictures and info this evening and are going to start sorting through it all and crunch numbers and see if there is any possible way, including a series of unfortunate failures, that could definitely be pinpointed as the cause of this.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 26, 2023, 02:11:42 PM »
I'd like to see all pool-related disputes settled via chicken fight.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 26, 2023, 02:20:55 PM »
I'd like to see all pool-related disputes settled via chicken fight.

Biggest splash contest

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 27, 2023, 04:22:22 PM »
I am also in the sd camp of considering maybe considering a pool at my home.  I am also definitely having a completely new fence put in to replace the currently very gross fence.  I should probably have the pool put in after the demo of the current fence and before the new fence is erected, right?

who’s your fence guy

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 27, 2023, 07:41:42 PM »
Currently sitting poolside at an indoor hotel pool.its 185 degrees in this mother rough rider and its full of screaming urchins.  Thank God for alcohol.

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 27, 2023, 07:44:45 PM »
GE friend Steve Dave needs to hurry up and build that pool so on next year's Omaha excursion I can just bring young Schredsette and her friend over there and they can freeze their asses off in an outdoor pool while I crush brews in comfort.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 27, 2023, 07:52:08 PM »
Currently sitting poolside at an indoor hotel pool.its 185 degrees in this mother rough rider and its full of screaming urchins.  Thank God for alcohol.
The rough ridin' worst

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 31, 2023, 08:43:46 AM »
Fun hotel fact: 95% of hotel pools are absolutely gross and nobody on staff knows how to maintain them properly

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 31, 2023, 09:31:17 AM »
Fun hotel fact: 95% of hotel pools are absolutely gross and nobody on staff knows how to maintain them properly

wild animals have diarrhea in lakes and the oceans and rivers all day every day

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 31, 2023, 09:36:40 AM »

wild animals have diarrhea in lakes and the oceans and rivers all day every day

Apt comparison

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 31, 2023, 10:45:51 AM »
I believe AST's advice in this situation is to give it the ol' eyeball test and the ol' smell test.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 31, 2023, 11:23:36 AM »
It's really about 50% have a shitty pool in particular and 95% have super gross pool rooms where the humidity isn't dealt with properly.