Author Topic: The official goEMAW Swimming Pool thread.  (Read 5722 times)

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
Re: The official goEMAW Swimming Pool thread.
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2023, 12:16:29 PM »
Anyone thinking of getting a pool should just read the last couple of pages of this thread.

Glad your face didn't get blown off AST. You should prob get your earballs checked out at some point though.

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2023, 12:21:22 PM »
Anyone thinking of getting a pool should just read the last couple of pages of this thread.

Glad your face didn't get blown off AST. You should prob get your earballs checked out at some point though.

Thanks man.  I just went through the past 1 year of invoices the customer sent me from the previous repair company and there was no mention of any work done to the air blower or plumbing associated with it.  So it is possible that someone did work but did not invoice for it but that is not likely.  I know I charge for all work that I do or I do not due it.  And the customer says they know for a fact the air blower was used occasionally this past fall and winter.

So the really scary part is there is still not explanation for what highly combustive material/fumes were in the plumbing and additionally how they got there.  Fun stuff!

So the scary part is

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2023, 12:32:48 PM »
How you managed to avoid serious injury astonishes me.

Also, seems like an awfully awkward situation from a client management perspective.

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2023, 01:56:44 PM »
How you managed to avoid serious injury astonishes me.

Also, seems like an awfully awkward situation from a client management perspective.

Yes, very.  “Hey customer, when I pushed a button there was a pretty significant explosion that easily could have resulted in me being in the hospital or worse.  Yeah, have no clue how it happened nor do many of my trusted professionals that have been in the industry for 40+ years.”

The current working theory is that there was a buildup of methane gas in the line from rotting living plant or animal debris.  But for in order for that to happen, there would need to be plenty of debris blocking the line and significant time.  That is pretty directly contradictory to the customer’s almost 100% certainty that they have used the air blower multiple times since purchasing the house a little over a year ago.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 02:00:58 PM by AST »

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2023, 02:21:31 PM »
Shitter was full, clark

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2023, 03:36:18 PM »
Damn dude that’s crazy. Glad you’re ok.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2023, 04:19:10 PM »

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 25, 2023, 07:09:34 PM »
My pump is not variable speed and hogs electricity like Tang and transfers. Would like to swap it out for a variable speed one with a timer. It looks like I could just disconnect fittings on both sides and swap them out, plug the new one in, set timer, and high five my wife. Is there anything else to worry about? 

What pump should I buy?  Pool is just under 20,000gal.

Most pumps do not simply line up with other pumps irt unions on the pump inlet and outlet unless the pump you currently have has a vs model you can swap it out with.  So plumbing will probably be required.

Additionally, switching to a vs pump may require you to upgrade your electrical circuit supplying the pump.  VS pumps generally are rated at higher amps than single speed pumps.  You can program them to draw less electricity but the circuit has to be able to withhold  the max amps that the equipment on it draws.

Send me pics of equipment, pump, motor rating plate on pump, and pool.  We can point you in the right direction.
Sorry for taking so long to get back to this. current pump is a Jandy FloPro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 25, 2023, 07:11:09 PM »
Scariest moment in my pool career just unfolded this morning. Customer having a big party this weekend and I was asked over to fix a pump leak and check all the equipment. So I am checking everything. The last thing I check is the air blower for spa. The instant I press the button on the automation to engage the relay for the air blower and explosion occurred. Momentary fireball, noise concussion so loud that I could not hear anything other than ringing, landscaping pebbles from the ground cover raining down, jagged pvc shrapnel everywhere with a piece even knocking my hat off. All while I am trying to figure out what the eff just happened and if I am still in danger.

About 5 minutes later I could finally hear again and there is still a slight ringing in my ears 1.5 hours later. I have always known that you can not do any sort of plumbing repairs on an air blower line without giving ample time for the pvc glue & cleaner fumes time to vent. That is why I always return the next day to reinstall the blower on the plumbing. But there was no plumbing done today, or by anyone recently on the property. Briefly spoke with the customer and she said they use the blower occasionally.

I have spoken with several trusted industry veterans and the general conclusion is this. Someway somehow something highly combustive had found its way into the blower line. When and how is beyond any possible scenario that any of us can come up with. This is just not rough ridin' normal. So the moment the blower motor engaged either a spark or the change in pressure caused the explosion.

Still shaking. I would call it a day but these customers need the pump replaced for their party.

Oh crap!  You were IN the potato gun!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 25, 2023, 07:17:10 PM »
thinkin' about putting in a pool again.....

local ad activity would lead me to believe they are now cheaper and people need work doing them. would have put one in during covid if I could have found anyone to do it. Now I'M IN CHARGE!

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 25, 2023, 07:19:03 PM »
just move

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 25, 2023, 07:25:02 PM »
Did they make you quit pounding Miller Lites at the HOA pool?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2023, 07:31:24 PM »
Did they make you quit pounding Miller Lites at the HOA pool?

absolutely not. but it's like 100 yards away and they'll let anyone in there (maximum two guests). I want my own one so the only urine in it is mine and my families.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2023, 07:31:45 PM »
and like birds probably

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2023, 07:31:58 PM »
but that's fine

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2023, 07:50:47 PM »
My pump is not variable speed and hogs electricity like Tang and transfers. Would like to swap it out for a variable speed one with a timer. It looks like I could just disconnect fittings on both sides and swap them out, plug the new one in, set timer, and high five my wife. Is there anything else to worry about? 

Most pumps do not simply line up with other pumps irt unions on the pump inlet and outlet unless the pump you currently have has a vs model you can swap it out with.  So plumbing will probably be required.

Additionally, switching to a vs pump may require you to upgrade your electrical circuit supplying the pump.  VS pumps generally are rated at higher amps than single speed pumps.  You can program them to draw less electricity but the circuit has to be able to withhold  the max amps that the equipment on it draws.

Send me pics of equipment, pump, motor rating plate on pump, and pool.  We can point you in the right direction.

So Jandy makes that model of pump in a VS version.

https://www.jandy.com/en/products/pool-pumps/vs-flopro-1-hp

If you have Jandy automation then just buying the pump will suffice.  Connecting the low boltage communication from the pump to the computer will allow you to program and operate the pump seamlessly.  There are older Aqualink automation PCBs that do not support variable speed pumps but if the computer is recent and/or has the iAqualink phone controls it will.

If you have mechanical controls or a Pentair automation system (not sure about Hayward’s capabilities) then you will need to buy the accompanying mountable controller to program pump.

As far as plumbing, that pump will be a direct coupler swap-out.  Meaning that you will only need a large pair of channel locks to swap out the pump on the plumbing.

As far as electrical, you will need a 20amp service for that pump.  If that is what you currently have and no other equipment is on the circuit, you will be fine.  If their is any other electrical equipment on that circuit and you have a 20amp then you will want to speak with your electrician on if your breaker/service meets your requirements.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2023, 07:55:22 PM »

in my experience you would be much happier if you instead plant a few orange trees in the part of the lawn you're thinking of giving over to a pool.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2023, 07:58:01 PM »

in my experience you would be much happier if you instead plant a few orange trees in the part of the lawn you're thinking of giving over to a pool.

oranges are basically free and I buy them at the grocery store for zero dollars. no need to get a tree. pools.....now there's a commodity with scarcity.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 25, 2023, 07:58:31 PM »

If you have Jandy automation then just buying the pump will suffice.  Connecting the low boltage communication from the pump to the computer will allow you to program and operate the pump seamlessly.  There are older Aqualink automation PCBs that do not support variable speed pumps but if the computer is recent and/or has the iAqualink phone controls it will.

If you have mechanical controls or a Pentair automation system (not sure about Hayward’s capabilities) then you will need to buy the accompanying mountable controller to program pump.

As far as plumbing, that pump will be a direct coupler swap-out.  Meaning that you will only need a large pair of channel locks to swap out the pump on the plumbing.

As far as electrical, you will need a 20amp service for that pump.  If that is what you currently have and no other equipment is on the circuit, you will be fine.  If their is any other electrical equipment on that circuit and you have a 20amp then you will want to speak with your electrician on if your breaker/service meets your requirements.

Nice.

So, there are no controls. They literally have me turning the breaker on/off to control the pump. It’s a 40a circuit with nothing else on it.  With this, it sounds like I also need to buy a controller with the Jandy VS. I really want to prog/control with my phone and not use the breaker like a switch.

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 25, 2023, 08:02:31 PM »
I second the move to a house with a pool idea unless you have money that you never really want to see a return on.  I mean fun will be had for sure with a pool but pools don’t really add much value to a property.  Just makes the property more or less desirable to certain different people.

But, if you are going to be in the house forever and/or think a pool will be something you will enjoy, go for it Steve Dave. 

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 25, 2023, 08:07:29 PM »

Nice.

So, there are no controls. They literally have me turning the breaker on/off to control the pump. It’s a 40a circuit with nothing else on it.  With this, it sounds like I also need to buy a controller with the Jandy VS. I really want to prog/control with my phone and not use the breaker like a switch.

The link I provided has the information for the controller on it. That controller though is a dumb controller and is just a direct communication link to the pump only.  No external/phone capabilities.

This link though is what you would need instead of the direct control interface.

https://www.jandy.com/en/products/pool-pumps/iqpump01

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 25, 2023, 08:10:15 PM »
I appreciate it. Will check that out.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 25, 2023, 08:31:29 PM »
Does the "VS" in Janky VS stand for "Very Special"?

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 25, 2023, 08:37:23 PM »
Does the "VS" in Janky VS stand for "Very Special"?

VS = Variable Speed

VSF = Variable Speed & Flow.  Same concept but allows you to program pump by flow rate instead of motor rpm.  Used for systems that require very specific flow rates due to features and other hydraulic requirements.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 25, 2023, 09:41:06 PM »
I am also in the sd camp of considering maybe considering a pool at my home.  I am also definitely having a completely new fence put in to replace the currently very gross fence.  I should probably have the pool put in after the demo of the current fence and before the new fence is erected, right?