Author Topic: no common ground, no ground at all.  (Read 2487 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
no common ground, no ground at all.
« on: February 08, 2023, 02:05:49 PM »
started a new thread for stuff with no visible solution in the medium-term (longer is too hard to predict).  public transit definitely fits, and i'd add health care as well.  neither party is doing anything to solve the problems and don't even appear interested in trying.

https://twitter.com/mnolangray/status/1623194977495810048

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: no common ground, no ground at all.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2023, 02:12:50 PM »
With all due respect, wgaf about high speed rail

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2023, 02:17:56 PM »

i do, dumbass.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2023, 02:18:57 PM »
Immigration, police reform, requiring people who take the standard deduction to do their own taxes, and any sort of environmental or major water infrastructure project fall along the same lines. One side doesn't want them at all, the other does want them, but only if they can have them with draconian standards.

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2023, 02:19:19 PM »

i do, dumbass.
You afraid to fly John Madden?

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2023, 02:21:47 PM »
this thread is already a rough ridin' bummer

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2023, 02:26:48 PM »

i do, dumbass.

Well then you’re wasting your time worrying about something that is impractical and unnecessary in the us (especially in the american west)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2023, 02:30:41 PM »
there are suitable corridors on the west coast (including the one currently being built in california).  unfortunately we're failing at building them at a price below their value to society.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2023, 02:38:12 PM »
You afraid to fly John Madden?

i'm very whitepilled on airports.  small footprint, easy to build, endlessly flexible.  probably the transit infrastructure where it's easiest to see a bright future.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2023, 02:40:02 PM »
There are mass transit corridors that make sense pretty much everywhere. It would be great to not need a vehicle.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2023, 02:40:24 PM »
Immigration, police reform, requiring people who take the standard deduction to do their own taxes, and any sort of environmental or major water infrastructure project fall along the same lines. One side doesn't want them at all, the other does want them, but only if they can have them with draconian standards.

to me something like immigration is different.  democrats, by and large, have good ideas on how to improve immigration, they just aren't able to win enough votes to implement them.  that is different than the situation i'm trying to discuss where both parties have bad ideas.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2023, 02:45:20 PM »
There are mass transit corridors that make sense pretty much everywhere. It would be great to not need a vehicle.

That is a false statement

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2023, 02:48:38 PM »

i do, dumbass.

I do too
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2023, 03:01:43 PM »
there are suitable corridors on the west coast (including the one currently being built in california).  unfortunately we're failing at building them at a price below their value to society.

Most long distance travel is completely needless, the American govt doesn’t need to fund high speed rail, its failure to do so is not some sort of travesty of American government.  That’s all I’m saying.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2023, 03:04:08 PM »
imo, this is doubly insidious.  not only are there the structural, unavoidable, inefficiencies, but the people working on the project aren't idiots.  they know that the fact of their employment is considered to be one of the deliverables the public is receiving for their dollar.  imo, that inevitably contributes to a mindset where people understand that a substantial part of their work task is to be employed.

https://twitter.com/YaBoiShagNasty/status/1623386191503433733

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2023, 03:34:35 PM »

Most long distance travel is completely needless, the American govt doesn’t need to fund high speed rail, its failure to do so is not some sort of travesty of American government.  That’s all I’m saying.

it would go a long way in terms of giving people the ability to reside in places that are a lot more affordable (or otherwise desireable) than the places they work. Imagine not having to choose between living in a shithole you can barely afford or having a 2 hour commute to work each way. wow!

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2023, 03:41:46 PM »
I think we can all get behind projects like Gav Newsomes $38 $50, $100, $125, $150, $178 billion dollar fast regular ol train to nowhere

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2023, 03:47:13 PM »

it would go a long way in terms of giving people the ability to reside in places that are a lot more affordable (or otherwise desireable) than the places they work. Imagine not having to choose between living in a shithole you can barely afford or having a 2 hour commute to work each way. wow!

No, it wouldn’t

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2023, 03:50:13 PM »
1. Socialized medicine  - our crap sucks.  Our life expectance is going backward and a bunch of other important markers are awful compared to other developed nations
2. Need to incentivize family.  Child credit or something of the like.  crap is too expensive and a downward pop is going to suck balls for a lot of ppl.
3. Remove ability for PACs and foreign money to participate in elections at any level.  If you aren't a person and a citizen, your money should be no good in our election process.
4. Term limits on house and senate.  2 is all you should get
5. Cap on age to serve as an elected official.  Should have to be 60 or younger to begin your term/s, otherwise, sorry grandpa, but you won't be alive for the world your work will help build and therefore can eff off.
6. We need a recall process for unfaithful elected officials.  See Kyrsten Sinema.
7. We need to start building a bunch of nuclear plants now.  IDGAF that they take 7-10 yrs to build.  Gotta start them sometime.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2023, 03:55:29 PM »
1. Socialized medicine  - our crap sucks.  Our life expectance is going backward and a bunch of other important markers are awful compared to other developed nations
2. Need to incentivize family.  Child credit or something of the like.  crap is too expensive and a downward pop is going to suck balls for a lot of ppl.
3. Remove ability for PACs and foreign money to participate in elections at any level.  If you aren't a person and a citizen, your money should be no good in our election process.
5. Cap on age to serve as an elected official.  Should have to be 60 or younger to begin your term/s, otherwise, sorry grandpa, but you won't be alive for the world your work will help build and therefore can eff off.
6. We need a recall process for unfaithful elected officials.  See Kyrsten Sinema.
7. We need to start building a bunch of nuclear plants now.  IDGAF that they take 7-10 yrs to build.  Gotta start them sometime.

Agree with almost everything, except incentivizing families. Why?

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2023, 03:58:52 PM »

Good god

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2023, 04:10:31 PM »

He literally gave his explanation in the very next sentence.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2023, 04:22:20 PM »
Declining population could be fixed easily enough through immigration policy.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2023, 04:22:49 PM »

He literally gave his explanation in the very next sentence.

I'm asking him to explain further, because I'm not persuaded by his explanation (yet).

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2023, 04:29:58 PM »
Declining population could be fixed easily enough through immigration policy.

Yea if we get the jump on China that’s a great strategy.