Author Topic: Race for the 2022-23 Reg Season Phillips 66 Crown Thread  (Read 5320 times)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Race for the 2022-23 Reg Season Phillips 66 Crown Thread
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2023, 08:33:26 AM »
I'm an advanced stats n00b but I'm noticing a couple of things from these charts:
1. 1/3 of the conference season is in the books.
2. There are a lot of tough games left to play.

https://twitter.com/ksu_FAN/status/1616116290875260928?s=20&t=2YLXUjYNUPxbnxxa7OJkww

These stats — and our sterling record in close/OT games — lead me to believe we’ve been very fortunate.

Probably yes, to a degree. But I also think since this team is so new to each other that they have a higher ceiling than some other teams that have been together longer. And good teams win close games. That said, I don't think we'll win the conference and I'm ok with that.

Having three bucket finders and good free throw shooters DOES bode well for us tho!

Yeah, I don't think 4-0 in OT games is totally sustainable but we have one of the best assist guys in the nation, a guy who can create his own shot, a coach that is great out of timeouts, and strong FT shooting.  Our record in close games involves some luck but we should keep winning those at a higher clip than we lose.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2023, 08:38:05 AM »
I'm an advanced stats n00b but I'm noticing a couple of things from these charts:

https://twitter.com/ksu_FAN/status/1616116290875260928?s=20&t=2YLXUjYNUPxbnxxa7OJkww

These stats — and our sterling record in close/OT games — lead me to believe we’ve been very fortunate.

Probably yes, to a degree. But I also think since this team is so new to each other that they have a higher ceiling than some other teams that have been together longer. And good teams win close games. That said, I don't think we'll win the conference and I'm ok with that.

Having three bucket finders and good free throw shooters DOES bode well for us tho!

Yeah, I don't think 4-0 in OT games is totally sustainable but we have one of the best assist guys in the nation, a guy who can create his own shot, a coach that is great out of timeouts, and strong FT shooting.  Our record in close games involves some luck but we should keep winning those at a higher clip than we lose.
I'm pretty low BBIQ but this seems like a great recipe for success / fun basketball in March.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2023, 08:56:24 AM »

I'm pretty low BBIQ but this seems like a great recipe for success / fun basketball in March.

I think this team's Achilles heal for a deep tourney run is the defense. So far our offense has been able to overcome holes on the defense but that will get much tougher to do in the tournament.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2023, 09:53:58 AM »

Agree

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Race for the 2022-23 Reg Season Phillips 66 Crown Thread
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2023, 09:55:25 AM »

I think this team's Achilles heal for a deep tourney run is the defense. So far our offense has been able to overcome holes on the defense but that will get much tougher to do in the tournament.
Clams says defensive rebounding in particular. Clams’ intramural team was almost All U, so he knows what’s what.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2023, 09:57:19 AM »
Basketball ‘clams engaging in basketball convos on this board is one of the best things ever
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2023, 10:03:55 AM »

Clams says defensive rebounding in particular. Clams’ intramural team was almost All U, so he knows what’s what.

Oh man, we didn’t call him piss “box out" clams for nothin. The drills were absolute hell but I'll be gosh darned if it didn't make us (arguably) the most fundy-sound squad of roundballers this institution has ever seen (at the intramural level)

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2023, 10:05:57 AM »
yes, defensive rebounding % is ranked #241 out of 330 teams in ncaa.
also defensive fouling % is ranked #305, although i doubt we see many games like the KU game

defense is good at eFG% (#68) and TO% (#38)

offensively the only thing slowing them down is TO%. they are good at shooting, oboarding, and drawing fouls

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2023, 10:20:48 AM »
Key is turning it over more than 3 times a game :blindfold:

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2023, 12:33:43 PM »

Oh man, we didn’t call him piss “box out" clams for nothin. The drills were absolute hell but I'll be gosh darned if it didn't make us (arguably) the most fundy-sound squad of roundballers this institution has ever seen (at the intramural level)

One of my favorite things about watching basketball is when you get a player/kid who absolutely loves physically manhandling his opponent on a box out, especially in youth/middle school/hs games. This is especially so on free throws. It’s too much fun.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2023, 01:22:39 PM »

I officiated several All-U championship games, Clams is not wrong.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2023, 07:48:29 PM »
7/18's of the way thru the conference schedule, the Cats lead everyone by one game. Huge opportunity coming up against Flood Aggie this week.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2023, 09:39:57 PM »
7/18's of the way thru the conference schedule, the Cats lead everyone by one game. Huge opportunity coming up against Flood Aggie this week.

10000%

This game is massive in that if, if we win. That game puts us in a spot to wrestle statically the best conference in the last decade into a lead that is hard to overcome.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2023, 02:11:50 PM »
Texas has a very tough final stretch of games. I suspect it is likely that they will lose 2 more, taking them to at least 5 total losses.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2023, 02:14:21 PM »
What do you foresee for the cats Pete

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2023, 03:12:38 PM »
The Cats are still right in the middle of this thing.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2023, 03:31:55 PM »
One Peggy po is that the clones can’t seem to win on the road.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2023, 03:40:58 PM »
I really like our chances against them on 2/18 in the OOD. We have to be careful not to stub our toes against the Texas Techs of the world between now and then.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2023, 03:52:40 PM »
Eers and pokes are kinda peaking and that could be a buzzsaw. Tech we could crap our pants if we aren't careful but otherwise a game we should win if we stay focused

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2023, 03:58:11 PM »
I really like our chances against them on 2/18 in the OOD. We have to be careful not to stub our toes against the Texas Techs of the world between now and then.

I got a call today from an actual person in the ticket office just to tell me the ISU game was moved up to 1pm.  That's the only reason they called.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2023, 03:59:16 PM »

Game got moved to 1PM which makes me think it will be less DOOMy

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2023, 04:33:38 PM »
I was gonna go to Clones game but can't make a 1p tip.

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G (2022) using Tapatalk

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2023, 09:04:49 PM »

I really do think 5 losses ties for the conference championship this year.  I like our chances at only dropping one more (or zero).

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2023, 08:22:52 AM »

I really do think 5 losses ties for the conference championship this year.  I like our chances at only dropping one more (or zero).

http://bball.notnothing.net/big12.php?sport=mbb

I have been messing with mred's simulator and in most of the scenarios I put in there the champs end up with 5 losses.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2023, 10:16:23 AM »

http://bball.notnothing.net/big12.php?sport=mbb

I have been messing with mred's simulator and in most of the scenarios I put in there the champs end up with 5 losses.

I wasn't even that optimistic

1. Kansas St (12 - 6) Defeated Kansas and Texas based on winning percentage against #4 teams [Baylor, Iowa St, and TCU] (4-2).
2. Texas (12 - 6) With Kansas, lost to Kansas St based on winning percentage against #4 teams [Baylor, Iowa St, and TCU] (3-3). Defeated Kansas based on winning percentage against #7 teams [Okla St] (2-0).
3. Kansas (12 - 6) With Texas, lost to Kansas St based on winning percentage against #4 teams [Baylor, Iowa St, and TCU] (3-3). Lost to Texas based on winning percentage against #7 teams [Okla St] (1-1).
4. Iowa St (11 - 7) Defeated TCU and Baylor based on round-robin record (3-1).
5. TCU (11 - 7) Defeated Baylor and lost to Iowa St based on round-robin record (2-2).
6. Baylor (11 - 7) Lost to Iowa St and TCU based on round-robin record (1-3).
7. Okla St (8 - 10)
8. W Virginia (7 - 11)
9. Oklahoma (3 - 15) Defeated Texas Tech based on head-to-head wins (2-0).
10. Texas Tech (3 - 15) Lost to Oklahoma based on head-to-head wins (0-2).