Author Topic: What's your K-State FB outlook?  (Read 12014 times)

Offline Purple Derpathy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: What's your K-State FB outlook?
« Reply #175 on: December 31, 2022, 05:33:13 PM »
Definitely need an upgrade at CB and WR. I was surprised how well we held up in the trenches. Usually that's where you see an immediate discrepancy but it was not there today.

We are not exactly the healthiest in our secondary, but we have continuously been exposed when our corners are one on one.

Offline williamthewildcat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 31, 2022, 08:05:27 PM »
Definitely need an upgrade at CB and WR. I was surprised how well we held up in the trenches. Usually that's where you see an immediate discrepancy but it was not there today.

We are not exactly the healthiest in our secondary, but we have continuously been exposed when our corners are one on one.

Klandy puts a LOT of pressure on the CB’s when rushing 3. I’m just not sure you can recruit for any DB, much less 4 or 5 DB’s to hold the line for 4.5/5.0 seconds. The secondary got hit over the top a lot this year. (IMO).

Can definitely recruit better, faster stronger. But that’s just a huge ask to cover that long.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 31, 2022, 08:14:15 PM »
With the positive news with our recruiting and finds from the portal, I feel we are going to get better.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 31, 2022, 11:06:43 PM »
With the positive news with our recruiting and finds from the portal, I feel we are going to get better.

I think it’s possible they’re a better team next year. Maybe my expectations are way too high though.

Major losses will include Deuce (likely), Felix (likely), green, Huggins, top 3 WR, brents, ekow (?)

Obviously some huge losses, especially on offense, but we return a starting qb, sounds like the entire O line returning, grabbed a 4* wr transfer, and I have liked what giddens has done at times this year.

Defense has some stud LBs coming in, guessing duke moves back to DE to replace Felix, probably grab a db or 2 in the portal. Payne and Parrish looked promising.

Hopefully Klein continues to keep the offense innovative and the D continues to improve in the 3-3-5.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 31, 2022, 11:11:44 PM »
We're in good shape

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: January 01, 2023, 12:30:30 AM »
We'll be better next year, just need some receivers out of the portal.  We should be a fairly attractive destination for immediate playing time as a starter.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 01, 2023, 04:57:07 PM »
Now that it is complete, where does this season rank all-time for you Cat football fans? In terms of overall enjoyment. I'd put it behind 1998 and maybe 1997. Maybe a hair behind 2012.

First of all, I don't hold '98 in high regard, at all. The UT and Nebraska games were awesome, other than that we essentially held serve. I feel the similarly about '12. We finished with a championship, unlike '98, but there were no wow moments, nothing groundbreaking. As cool as the UT game was, it wasn't like they were ever a threat to beat us. We were heavy favorites and easily finished them off.

I think this season we had big moments and won a championship. I don't think this team is as good as the '97 and '00 teams but I'd put this season on those levels as far as enjoyability went. Didn't finish the job to make it the clear most enjoyable season ever, but I think it still has a strong argument.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 01, 2023, 05:04:05 PM »
We'll be better next year, just need some receivers out of the portal.  We should be a fairly attractive destination for immediate playing time as a starter.

We nabbed a really good one in Keagan Johnson from Iowa but I think that’s it for influx of transfers at WR.  They have some young guys already on the roster they like and landed the best crop of HS WR’s we have brought in for at least 15 years.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Hurricane Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 01, 2023, 10:36:29 PM »
Now that it is complete, where does this season rank all-time for you Cat football fans? In terms of overall enjoyment. I'd put it behind 1998 and maybe 1997. Maybe a hair behind 2012.

First of all, I don't hold '98 in high regard, at all. The UT and Nebraska games were awesome, other than that we essentially held serve. I feel the similarly about '12. We finished with a championship, unlike '98, but there were no wow moments, nothing groundbreaking. As cool as the UT game was, it wasn't like they were ever a threat to beat us. We were heavy favorites and easily finished them off.

I think this season we had big moments and won a championship. I don't think this team is as good as the '97 and '00 teams but I'd put this season on those levels as far as enjoyability went. Didn't finish the job to make it the clear most enjoyable season ever, but I think it still has a strong argument.

Agree this team is probably not as good / talented / dominating as some of the all time best cat teams, but man this was a surprisingly enjoyable season. . .
So I'm going to go with recency bias and accomplishing 10 wins/ Big12 championship post-Snyder and call this my most enjoyable season.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 02, 2023, 07:56:11 AM »
2011 was easily the most fun season for me. Lots of close games where we came out on top. This season is probably top 4 for me.

I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 02, 2023, 10:02:05 AM »
2011 was underrated as hell

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 02, 2023, 10:20:40 AM »
2011 was easily the most fun season for me. Lots of close games where we came out on top. This season is probably top 4 for me.
Miami / Baylor / KU / aTm were very fun games that season..

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 02, 2023, 10:59:52 AM »
I think 2024-2026 has a chance to have one of the best/fun seasons of our life times. Hard to imagine us ever having a better QB prospect than Avery paired with an OC like Klein.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 02, 2023, 11:09:53 AM »
I'm choosing not to rank seasons and just enjoying it all as it happens. :-)

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 02, 2023, 11:14:00 AM »

I think it would be a lot more fondly remembered if we could have won that shootout at OSU. If memory serves it was on at the same time as bama/LSU which I think the total combined score for that game was like 12. And we could have won but tlbl got his kidney lacerated trying to catch the game winning TD in the back of the endzone

Online cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 02, 2023, 11:55:58 AM »

I think it would be a lot more fondly remembered if we could have won that shootout at OSU. If memory serves it was on at the same time as bama/LSU which I think the total combined score for that game was like 12. And we could have won but tlbl got his kidney lacerated trying to catch the game winning TD in the back of the endzone

Pretty sure he caught a TD being lacerated, it was sometime in the 3rd quarter IIRC
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Online cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 02, 2023, 12:11:04 PM »
In terms of enjoyment of season, I think it was cool to have a year we were a "dark horse" and ended up actually doing it. About a top 5 season for me.

I'd put this season as very similar to 2003, if not almost a perfect analog to it. Biggest difference was TCU was no OU (though I am rooting for them to take it all), and we did worse in the big bowl game. That being said, early questionable loss (albeit to what ended up being a very good Tulane team) a loss to Texas, (no good way to match TCU to OSU loss though), all while having a tiny explosive running back.

I think the biggest difference is unlike 2003 I think next year's team has the ability to either match, and potentially succeed this years team. This feels more like the program is ramping up, not the culmination of something we've sought for a long time.

My general expectation for next year is going to be making it back to the Big 12 Champ game, and 10 wins in the regular season, if we get certain players in the portal or certain guys come back next year, it'll elevate to being big 12 champs, and being in that serious discussion of being the playoffs. If everyone like Felix and Deuce and the entire oline and other crazy crap like that, then eff it, win the whole rough ridin' thing. FFS this is probably Georgia's last hurrah at the top, Bama has to replace Bryce Young, and tOSU is the same with Stroud gone, and Michigan will never fully scare me, same with USC, so why the eff not (if that unlikely scenario plays out).

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 02, 2023, 01:03:03 PM »
I think many of you have WAY TOO HIGH of expectations. I hope you mean HOPES.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 02, 2023, 01:05:39 PM »

Did you watch tOSU QB on Saturday night?

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 02, 2023, 01:15:51 PM »

Yes, lol
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: January 02, 2023, 01:17:23 PM »

You think stefon diggs HOPES to make it to the Superbowl?

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 02, 2023, 02:05:32 PM »

Add 1993. Top-tier season of enjoyment and good times.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 02, 2023, 05:51:02 PM »

Pretty sure he caught a TD being lacerated, it was sometime in the 3rd quarter IIRC

I just moved lacerated kidney higher on my list of things I hope like hell never happen to me.  That sounds terrifying.

Online cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 02, 2023, 07:22:12 PM »

I just moved lacerated kidney higher on my list of things I hope like hell never happen to me.  That sounds terrifying.

Yup, watching it here it isn't great, just got hit in the right spot

https://youtu.be/GUkAOE_8lPg?t=113

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 03, 2023, 09:16:40 AM »

We nabbed a really good one in Keagan Johnson from Iowa but I think that’s it for influx of transfers at WR.  They have some young guys already on the roster they like and landed the best crop of HS WR’s we have brought in for at least 15 years.

Being optimistic here, with the loss of Knowles (725), Brooks (587), Warner (456) and Vaughn (378), we have to replace ~2,100 yards next season to replicate this season. All things considered for this quick math exercise, I'm going to assume that CK7 will find a way to move Deuce's receiving numbers to whatever RB is in the game....hopefully Giddens.

We return Sinnott, RJ Garcia and Seth Porter with '23 recruits Spivey and Davis headed our way. Additionally, we have Keagan Johnson transferring in. Lets not forget baby Lockett will now have the chance to shine as well coming off his RS.

Between the guys we somewhat know: Garcia, Porter, Johnson need to cover 1,750 yards....all of those guys can easily put up close to Warner's numbers from this year and I would hope that Johnson can be our new Knowles. Everyone else's numbers are gravy. This doesn't even account for Spivey, Davis, Lockett, etc.

From the QB perspective, 9AM didn't put up huge passing numbers either early in the season. ~175 yds/game. Howard averaged ~240 yds/game over his stretch, which I would argue was against much better defenses.

All in all, not worried about our receiving corps.