Author Topic: Desi Sills is a G  (Read 2423 times)

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
Re: Desi Sills is a G
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2023, 12:41:52 PM »
i haven't watched very much of this season, but he's my favorite player, i think.  i like how he moves.

Same

Although, Lil SF had to mush me a couple of times when he took what looked like some "ill-advised" shots and I would say, "noooooo". Desi would drain them and Lil SF would just look at me and say, "are you sure?". 10 year olds can be such bullies.  :cry:

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2023, 01:51:31 PM »
An idea I’ve been toying around with is abolishing the first half of games. With how streaky bball can be it always seems like the first half barely matters. Make the players run wind sprints for 20 minutes and then turn the cameras on for actual bball in the second half imo.

why not just have a free throw shooting contest since that gets people so horned up

After the first OT, if the game is tied, go to free throws. But instead of just shooting free throws, allow the other team to have a player standing at the 3 point line attempt to run in and swat the ball away. Goaltending is allowed. The defender can start running as soon as the ball leaves the shooter's hands.

Too complicated. Just play KNOCK OUT

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2023, 02:01:01 PM »
An idea I’ve been toying around with is abolishing the first half of games. With how streaky bball can be it always seems like the first half barely matters. Make the players run wind sprints for 20 minutes and then turn the cameras on for actual bball in the second half imo.

why not just have a free throw shooting contest since that gets people so horned up

After the first OT, if the game is tied, go to free throws. But instead of just shooting free throws, allow the other team to have a player standing at the 3 point line attempt to run in and swat the ball away. Goaltending is allowed. The defender can start running as soon as the ball leaves the shooter's hands.

I just finished skimming through "The Story of Basketball" by Dr James A Naismith and I promise you that the current rules vis a vis fouls and foul shots are 100x better now than when the game was in its infancy.

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2023, 02:27:53 PM »
Also stop calling so many fouls. Maybe just auto give the points on a shooting foul
Yes!
NO!

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2023, 02:31:25 PM »

I just finished skimming through "The Story of Basketball" by Dr James A Naismith and I promise you that the current rules vis a vis fouls and foul shots are 100x better now than when the game was in its infancy.

Yeah, the game that Naismith created was terrible. Basketball is a whole lot better without him.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2023, 02:44:54 PM »
Take this crap to another thread. This thread is for the current King JYC/Doberman of our current Cats.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2023, 11:00:25 PM »
:zzz:

2 shot fouls should change to a single shot worth 2 points. Same with one and one - you get one shot for two points. and-1's still worth one point.

what a boring waste of time

YES, RUSTY!!!

I've been pitching this to my friends as a rule change for years. Still have not heard a convincing argument against it.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2023, 08:55:37 AM »
:zzz:

2 shot fouls should change to a single shot worth 2 points. Same with one and one - you get one shot for two points. and-1's still worth one point.

what a boring waste of time

YES, RUSTY!!!

I've been pitching this to my friends as a rule change for years. Still have not heard a convincing argument against it.
The reason you have not heard a convincing argument is because there isn't one.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2023, 08:57:49 AM »
The only people who would argue against it are old guys whose peak athletic achievement was a CYO free throw shooting contest and want to feel in some way superior to true world class athletes

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2023, 09:33:18 AM »
Without free-throw competitions Doub Gottlieb would never have been outed as the deadbeat he is.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2023, 09:34:00 AM »
Free throws make the end of games more interesting. Games that would be over are still worth watching because the team with the lead could miss a couple of free throws and give an extra possession to the losing team.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2023, 09:48:11 AM »
Free throws make the end of games more interesting. Games that would be over are still worth watching because the team with the lead could miss a couple of free throws and give an extra possession to the losing team.
I'm proposing keeping free throws but you shoot one worth 2 points

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2023, 09:53:07 AM »
I'm proposing keeping free throws but you shoot one worth 2 points

Yeah, but that's slightly less interesting. Basketball games only last about 2 hours as it is. No reason to try to shorten them.

Offline konofo

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2023, 09:58:20 AM »
The Elam ending solves this without grinding the action to a halt.  That's the number one rule change I hope to see adopted someday.

Another (far less likely) change I'd love to see would be that any time the ball goes out-of-bounds, possession is awarded to the defense, regardless of who touched it last.  Why reward the offense for getting blocked into the third row, or for making a sloppy pass that gets deflected out?  Imagine never having to watch another frame-by-frame replay searching for a subtle change in ball rotation.

Also, Desi is indeed a G, and I'm happy for him.

kono

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2023, 09:58:32 AM »
watching players shoot free throws is nothing but a bore fest.  :zzz:

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2023, 10:13:39 AM »
The only people who would argue against it are old guys whose peak athletic achievement was a CYO free throw shooting contest and want to feel in some way superior to true world class athletes

:lol:

I know it's incredibly hard for petulant millennials who have an attention span of a fruit fly to sit and watch two free throws.  I mean lord, it takes a whole 15-30 seconds.  Probably even harder for the ones who don't have the late release Ritalin they pop in the morning. 

Your take on the olds needing to feel superior  to "world class athletes" was an incredible one though, I'll give you that.  :lol:. Why should they "world class athletes" have to spend time practicing something that is as inconsequential as free throws?!?  Practice, we're talking about practice....not games....practice.
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2023, 10:46:46 AM »
i haven't watched very much of this season, but he's my favorite player, i think.  i like how he moves.

Same

Although, Lil SF had to mush me a couple of times when he took what looked like some "ill-advised" shots and I would say, "noooooo". Desi would drain them and Lil SF would just look at me and say, "are you sure?". 10 year olds can be such bullies.  :cry:
There was a step back three (in front of the KU bench, I think) where I was about to say "not the shot we were looking for" as the ball ripped thru the nets without drawing a bit of iron.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2023, 12:23:08 PM »

Same

There was a step back three (in front of the KU bench, I think) where I was about to say "not the shot we were looking for" as the ball ripped thru the nets without drawing a bit of iron.

Lil SF destroyed me on that one. Gave me the, "in your face dad". It was brutal.