Author Topic: World Cup 2022  (Read 8086 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: World Cup 2022
« Reply #275 on: December 03, 2022, 11:01:06 AM »
Why don't we have a good striker?

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 03, 2022, 11:02:37 AM »

Definitely our weakest overall issue.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 03, 2022, 11:17:41 AM »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 04, 2022, 04:49:38 AM »

I don't think our issue is not having a good striker, all three guys on the roster have produced well in their domestic leagues, it's the system doesn't provide service to the strikers, they don't get the chance, which is strange because Berhalter's system, when he was in MLS, was very striker friendly.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 04, 2022, 04:51:40 AM »
The winner of Netherlands Argentina will win the world cup

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 05, 2022, 12:07:10 AM »
Who’s paying these players?

A few days old but just caught up on some reading.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dereksaul/2022/11/30/heres-how-much-us-soccer-players-will-make-from-the-world-cup-based-on-stage-of-elimination/

That still doesn't get me to what I was really wondering, which is what makes this world cup and any other international competition different than all-star exhibition games.  I'm guessing that national teams aren't any of these guys' primary employer, and that the bulk of their play is for their standard professional team in some league with a season schedule of practice and games and team things.  Why isn't that a much bigger priority for both players and fans?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 05, 2022, 04:42:02 PM »

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dereksaul/2022/11/30/heres-how-much-us-soccer-players-will-make-from-the-world-cup-based-on-stage-of-elimination/

That still doesn't get me to what I was really wondering, which is what makes this world cup and any other international competition different than all-star exhibition games.  I'm guessing that national teams aren't any of these guys' primary employer, and that the bulk of their play is for their standard professional team in some league with a season schedule of practice and games and team things.  Why isn't that a much bigger priority for both players and fans?

for many fans/players club is at least an equal priority...

as to why national team matters, it's really just patriotism etc (and for the players, the recognition of being selected for the national team probably helps at the margins for getting a better club contract)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 05, 2022, 04:49:25 PM »

as to why national team matters, it's really just patriotism etc (and for the players, the recognition of being selected for the national team probably helps at the margins for getting a better club contract)

it's also the only tournament where literally the entire world can participate - people follow the top leagues but the best players are spread out across a few leagues and rarely play clubs in other leagues outside of the Champions/Europa Leagues and even then it's a bit limited.

Also the players are more or less on the same team their entire career as opposed to leagues where players change clubs all the time.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 05, 2022, 07:22:21 PM »

it's also the only tournament where literally the entire world can participate - people follow the top leagues but the best players are spread out across a few leagues and rarely play clubs in other leagues outside of the Champions/Europa Leagues and even then it's a bit limited.

Also the players are more or less on the same team their entire career as opposed to leagues where players change clubs all the time.

And not just spread out amongst leagues but also often many times not even on your own continent, it's fun to see your guys come "home" to play for their home country

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: December 06, 2022, 06:12:27 AM »

And not just spread out amongst leagues but also often many times not even on your own continent, it's fun to see your guys come "home" to play for their home country
Yeah I mean just from the US team how many different European leagues are they in? At least 6 off the top of my head

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 06, 2022, 11:47:08 AM »
F yeah morocco. what a team

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 06, 2022, 11:47:49 AM »
4 games played in the world cup. they've only allowed 1 goal and it was an own-goal
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 11:51:31 AM by mocat »

Online Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 06, 2022, 11:49:26 AM »
Wow.  That goalie just had the kind of game he's been dreaming of since he was a little kid.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 06, 2022, 11:52:09 AM »
Wow.  That goalie just had the kind of game he's been dreaming of since he was a little kid.

did you see him talking crap to the spanish player right before blocking his attempt? amazing

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 06, 2022, 11:58:34 AM »

Offline Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 06, 2022, 12:00:45 PM »
Ronaldo has been dropped to the bench today after throwing another tantrum when getting subbed last game  :lol:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 06, 2022, 12:09:32 PM »
Ronaldo has been dropped to the bench today after throwing another tantrum when getting subbed last game  :lol:

just the worst

Offline Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 06, 2022, 04:40:16 PM »
And his replacement goes and bags a hat trick  :love:  I love this game

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 06, 2022, 09:33:27 PM »
Very happy for Morocco, their goalie seems like an absolute stud/freak

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 09, 2022, 11:47:54 AM »
holy crap

Offline Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 09, 2022, 11:48:35 AM »
CROAAAAAATS  :D

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 09, 2022, 11:48:52 AM »
WOW
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #298 on: December 09, 2022, 11:53:34 AM »
Big day for caste sports or whatever that forum was

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile