Author Topic: Baylor Game  (Read 8075 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Baylor Game
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2022, 02:39:21 PM »
We don't start our best players, so it's not that surprising.

Really hope you're not referring to Howard not playing over Martinez, because if so, that might be the dumbest thing I've heard in a while.

If not, I apologize and hope you have a great day!  :)

Did you not watch us with Howard? I really don't get how you could watch us with both QBs and conclude that Martinez is better.

Do you know how to read a stat sheet or do you think Howard plays quarterback and linebacker?

Adrian had more passing yards, more completions, more yards per attempt, and more rushing yards. Will had more touchdowns, that's it, and the Texas defense is twice as talented as OSU currently is. I'm also pretty sure that Adrian had more yards against ISU and OU than Will did against OSU.

Watching that game and thinking Will would have definitively done better is an unserious take.

Pretty sure you have to score points to win games. Martinez had a nice second half, but the first half was brutal. The interception before halftime to give them a touchdown and 21 point lead was the difference in the game.

Martinez is a good quarterback, having a nice season. Maybe he can get a win over Baylor. The offense is a whole lot better with Will Howard running it, though. He should be starting.

The inspection before half was the same interception Will threw against TCU. It was a QB throwing a bad pass against 8 players sitting in a zone when there was no threat to run at all.

You can certainly believe your eyes, I'd bet what they're telling you has a lot to do with who you wanted to start that game. However, statically Will didn't pass the ball appreciably better against OSU than Adrian has his last three games. Looking forward to Will playing next year, but having Adrian's legs, particularly against a team who can bring pressure with their line, makes him a better choice to start.

I think it's perfectly rational to say that Will played well enough to remain the starter, I don't subscribe to that line of thinking but it's rational. Saying the coaches aren't playing the best player, as if Will is clearly the better player, is crazy talk.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2022, 02:41:14 PM »
I think Will is better at reading a defense pre-snap and knowing where to go with the football.  I would've gone with Howard vs Texas but I don't think it was an easy decision either way.

Yes, he clearly has a better grasp of the offense but Adrian has gotten much better. He was making the same reads that Will did the week before. A sign that he's starting to get the offense is he's pushing the ball down field a lot more, particularly to Deuce.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
Re: Baylor is good. This will be a very hard game.
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2022, 02:42:28 PM »
Baylor is good but so are we.

This is a game that I think you have to win if your program is a serious contender for a CCG.

In light of OU and OSU tanking, we really don't have a marquee win.

Which is shitty cause it's not like at the time of the game it seemed that way, oh well. Even if we beat Baylor that won't been seen as marquee, "cause 4 losses." And if we beat ku, same crap, we were supposed to.

The only marquee at this point we'd get is getting into the CCG and beating TCU, if that even happens.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2022, 02:43:08 PM »
OSU is still a very good win, them losing to KU with their true freshman backup shouldn't take away from what we did against them. They did beat Texas the game immediately before.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2022, 02:43:11 PM »
I think the team plays harder for will, they just see Adrian as a mercenary and not part of the team  :th_twocents:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Baylor Game
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2022, 02:50:03 PM »
I definitely think it’s not helpful to compare passing stats between a game where we were blowing out the other side vs. where we were getting blown out. I do think Will has shown himself to be a better QB and leader this year at least, but I don’t think it’s a crazy wide margin. Enough margin to maybe lift us past UT though. Pretty easy to argue that turnovers at the end of both halfs cost us that game.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2022, 03:15:18 PM »
I definitely think it’s not helpful to compare passing stats between a game where we were blowing out the other side vs. where we were getting blown out.

His last 3 drives of the game we threw the ball 13 times and ran 8 one of those 8 runs was a scramble by Will on a designed pass. His last two plays of the game, when we were up 41-0 in the fourth quarter, were passes. 1/4 of his passing yards came after we were up 38-0 midway though the 3rd quarter.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2022, 03:29:53 PM »
I think the team plays harder for will, they just see Adrian as a mercenary and not part of the team  :th_twocents:

They do seem to really rally around will.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2022, 03:31:33 PM »
I definitely think it’s not helpful to compare passing stats between a game where we were blowing out the other side vs. where we were getting blown out.

His last 3 drives of the game we threw the ball 13 times and ran 8 one of those 8 runs was a scramble by Will on a designed pass. His last two plays of the game, when we were up 41-0 in the fourth quarter, were passes. 1/4 of his passing yards came after we were up 38-0 midway though the 3rd quarter.
The situation still means there is less reason to try to push the ball downfield, which would result in generally lower passing yards and YPA.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2022, 04:01:44 PM »

The situation still means there is less reason to try to push the ball downfield, which would result in generally lower passing yards and YPA.

You would think so. Apparently Klieman and Klein didn't feel the same way at the time and it was very frustrating in the moment because I wanted Deuce and Will out of that game long before they were.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2022, 04:09:26 PM »
The first half hour or so of today's 3MAW podcast did a great job of exploring both sides of this discussion. Will makes the offense look much more polished and he has a much stronger arm. However, Adrian did have a great job passing the ball and if before the game if someone told you that you would get 24/36 329 yards 2 TDs and 52 rush yards and 1 TD, you'd absolutely take it, from either guy. Adrian has been unsecure with the football in his hands, in the pocket, we've just gotten lucky not to lose more fumbles. Will has had some passes that could have should have been picked, both guys have been lucky not to have more turnovers.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2022, 06:04:10 PM »
i feel like we’re better than 7-5.

We’d be looking at 12-0 if Will started the whole season

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2022, 06:09:31 PM »

When is the last time a KSU QB made it all 12 games? Probably Jake Waters 8 years ago. I don’t think Will could have remained uninjured a full season with how we run the QB.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2022, 06:11:14 PM »

Maybe a bit but I feel like the OU game that changed a lot. You can tell the way Adrian played they balled out with him too. I think the flip side of it I think the team wants to ball out with Will as much as they can because he's been so misaligned for so long and want to how he is also capable, along with having been there for a while.

IDK, trying to determine psychologically how a team truly feels is sometimes hard to truly parse, after all many guys wear the 9AM shirt and speak highly of him. I don't think the team sees him as a mercenary but more a guy trying to start fresh in a new place. An outsider? Sure, but one to not get behind? Eh, doubt it.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2022, 06:12:02 PM »
The first half hour or so of today's 3MAW podcast did a great job of exploring both sides of this discussion. Will makes the offense look much more polished and he has a much stronger arm. However, Adrian did have a great job passing the ball and if before the game if someone told you that you would get 24/36 329 yards 2 TDs and 52 rush yards and 1 TD, you'd absolutely take it, from either guy. Adrian has been unsecure with the football in his hands, in the pocket, we've just gotten lucky not to lose more fumbles. Will has had some passes that could have should have been picked, both guys have been lucky not to have more turnovers.

both very true statements

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2022, 06:45:12 PM »
It's not exactly just us, is there a single big 12 qb1 that hasn't missed a game yet?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2022, 06:47:58 PM »
It's not exactly just us, is there a single big 12 qb1 that hasn't missed a game yet?

Just the ones that haven't played TCU yet.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2022, 06:50:33 PM »

Blake Shapen, Hunter Dekkers, JT Daniels I think.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2022, 08:17:49 PM »

Just the ones that haven't played TCU yet.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2022, 08:30:39 PM »
That is exactly the expression that was on my online face while making that post. Well done!

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2022, 08:31:35 PM »
But seriously, we need to have a discussion about TCU being a dirty team, at some point. The thing speaks for itself.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2022, 08:35:56 PM »
Res ipsa loquitur, such a god-damned lawyer.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2022, 08:39:53 PM »
I intentionally did not use the Latin. Leave me alone. Cowards!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2022, 09:08:05 PM »

When is the last time a KSU QB made it all 12 games? Probably Jake Waters 8 years ago. I don’t think Will could have remained uninjured a full season with how we run the QB.

Since 2010 only Klein in 11 and Waters in 14 finished the season without major injury. I don't count Klein in '12, he had no business playing against Baylor.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2022, 09:37:02 PM »

Maybe a bit but I feel like the OU game that changed a lot. You can tell the way Adrian played they balled out with him too. I think the flip side of it I think the team wants to ball out with Will as much as they can because he's been so misaligned for so long and want to how he is also capable, along with having been there for a while.

IDK, trying to determine psychologically how a team truly feels is sometimes hard to truly parse, after all many guys wear the 9AM shirt and speak highly of him. I don't think the team sees him as a mercenary but more a guy trying to start fresh in a new place. An outsider? Sure, but one to not get behind? Eh, doubt it.
They play hard for both because they are both good people who play hard themselves. There aren't any mind games