Author Topic: competitive little kid sports  (Read 33762 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: competitive little kid sports
« Reply #975 on: March 21, 2024, 08:49:26 AM »
Currently laid out and charging in my house for the scrimmage dry run tonight:

not pictured:
cover for camera that attaches to fence
rats nest of cables
burner phone to run gamechanger feed all season
giant camera backpack to carry all the crap
wagon
actual baseball gear

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: March 21, 2024, 10:49:31 AM »
Looks cool. Now you get to add video editing and production to your list of duties!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: March 21, 2024, 11:21:39 AM »
Looks cool. Now you get to add video editing and production to your list of duties!
Nope, just streaming games. Did it last season as well. Gamechanger really is an incredible software.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: March 21, 2024, 11:32:14 AM »
Working baseball games there is a direct correlation between the amount of extra crap a team has (cameras, radar guns, speakers for walk up music) and how Kareny the moms are.

Oh they have TWO cameras attached to the fence and a team branded shade tent? Yeah prepare for a Karenfest pal.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: March 21, 2024, 12:39:38 PM »
Finally, we are in the home stretch for competitive little kid sports in my household. Going to California this weekend for a USA Water Polo event, Texas in April, then back to California in June and July.

Then maybe water polo in college? Depends on where she gets accepted but a couple schools have indicated spots on the varsity teams if admitted. Miserable stuff, just send your kids to KU or K-State and do not try to get recruited in an obscure sport or go to a school with competitive admissions.

Ha, I know at least 3-4 dudes from college that played football right out of high school, but ended up at KSU after a year. Just couldn't give up the dream which I totally get, but they were apparently pretty jealous of their HS buds partying and hanging out while they were back to being a nobody on a college team.

my daughter only considered schools that she would consider w/o polo. Although some she eliminated when she realized there wouldn't be a spot for her on the team and/or they brought on girls she hated. (I mean these girls are awful)

My son was in a fairly similar position, but in men's soccer. There are clearly more men's soccer programs than women's water polo programs, but it's still pretty tough. 

For context, despite being an incredibly deep area for soccer talent, Texas has only four D1 men's soccer schools, and three of them are places most kids I know don't want to go (Houston Christian, Incarnate Word, and UT Rio Grande Valley, with SMU being the "good one"). The D2 and D3 options in Texas and the surrounding states are slim as well. The Venn diagram of schools with the right academics, geography, and athletics that fit your kid can be very small. Coaches that my kid was contacting were more or less not getting back to him, and schools that reached out to him were schools that he had no interest in for one reason or another.

As of 6 months ago, I thought my kid was going to end up at a big public school, as he had pretty much given up on the recruiting process. But before a a national showcase that he attended last October he contacted one school that he was interested in attending, just to see. They had a coach come out to watch him, and he liked what he saw, and things went really fast from there.

My kid got admitted, started talking to one of the assistants regularly, went on a visit where he stayed with some of the players and went to a camp, and then got an offer.

He knows a fair number of guys that have gone on to play college soccer, some have hated it, and some have loved it. I'm clearly hoping he falls into the latter category.

contacting coaches is the worst. Like, you're a teenage girl emailing a middle aged guy who will either ignore you or tell you that you aren't good enough at the thing you love most. On top of other college rejections. She was in communication with coaches at her top choice academic school and they were very communicative and supportive but wouldn't commit to admission support and she ended up applying early and getting rejected, but one of her best friends in water polo got admitted. It really shitty! I will say though that one coach that reached out to her separately tried to recruit her but she wasn't interested and he offered to refer her to other coaches because he liked her and he was a nice guy! And he did! Still uncommitted and waiting on a few more admissions decisions.

The weekend my son made his visit, he was one of 7 kids that got there a few days before a one day camp that had 30 kids show up. One of the other 7 kids was a friend of his from his club team. That kid was in the same spot as my son, either this situation was going to work out, or he wasn't going to play soccer in college. My son got the offer, but that kid didn't. So even getting the offer that he wanted wasn't without mixed emotions.

It is so incredibly tough, with so much heartache along the way. The good news is that it only takes one school for it to work out. I really hope it works out for your daughter.
that’s awesome. your son should rub that crap into his buddy’s face for the rest of eternity.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: March 21, 2024, 02:11:13 PM »
Working baseball games there is a direct correlation between the amount of extra crap a team has (cameras, radar guns, speakers for walk up music) and how Kareny the moms are.

Oh they have TWO cameras attached to the fence and a team branded shade tent? Yeah prepare for a Karenfest pal.

I've found this to be 100% fact. Plus, many of the dads are even worse.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: March 22, 2024, 01:46:35 PM »
good news everyone, we cancelled our double header for this saturday because the weather is crap. bad news everyone, we replaced it with 3 hours of indoor practice. HAVE A GREAT "WEEKEND"!

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: March 22, 2024, 01:58:48 PM »
good news everyone, we cancelled our double header for this saturday because the weather is crap. bad news everyone, we replaced it with 3 hours of indoor practice. HAVE A GREAT "WEEKEND"!

I thought you were in charge? If you are in charge, I say this on behalf of all of your kids teammates and parents, YOU SUCK!!!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: March 22, 2024, 03:41:43 PM »

I thought you were in charge? If you are in charge, I say this on behalf of all of your kids teammates and parents, YOU SUCK!!!

https://twitter.com/coachcasey13u/status/1742705437240381837

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: March 23, 2024, 10:04:37 AM »
no rest for steve dave and karen dave this weekend