Author Topic: sd white/non-white midwestern thread topic of the day (garden)  (Read 88912 times)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Re: sd white/non-white midwestern thread topic of the day (garden)
« Reply #725 on: May 13, 2022, 01:13:51 PM »
it's raised bed szn. basically trying to become self sufficient in veggies at least half the year.

growing 24 types of chiles in galvanized beds (including like 4-5 superhots) with a fuckton of herbs, primrose/cosmos/zinnias/borage, and garlic interspersed between pepper rows as companion/pollination plants. hot sauce/salsas incoming in july/august bayBEE

putting in two 8 x 4 wooden raised beds this weekend for onions, watermelons, lettuce, cantaloupes, and like 15 different types of tomatoes. tilling the ground here is a [redacted] but necessary because the soil's got no aeration or organic matter

direct sow on everything bc i was lazy and didn't feel like starting seeds inside back in march. also growing conditions in ABQ are far from elite kansas standards so i'd rather the seedlings just get established and sink or swim rather than have to harden them off and potentially watch them go to crap later because of some random 50 mph winds. adding drip irrigation when i'm done sowing bc we haven't had any rain in 50 years

growing crimson queen sunflowers on the western edge of the garden for afternoon shade so my plants don't get scalded to eff by the sun here. also on the northern edge for privacy from the adjacent road. growing cucumbers, taters, and squash in pots too.

Pics or it didnt happen

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: May 13, 2022, 01:18:12 PM »
I've got lettuce and assorted greens (kale/mustard/bok choi) for days. Just planted some peppers and maters.

Planning on growing some green beans and cukes once I harvest all the lettuce.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: May 22, 2022, 08:53:30 PM »
Spiderworts are popping.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: June 07, 2022, 12:22:28 PM »
it's raised bed szn. basically trying to become self sufficient in veggies at least half the year.

growing 24 types of chiles in galvanized beds (including like 4-5 superhots) with a fuckton of herbs, primrose/cosmos/zinnias/borage, and garlic interspersed between pepper rows as companion/pollination plants. hot sauce/salsas incoming in july/august bayBEE

putting in two 8 x 4 wooden raised beds this weekend for onions, watermelons, lettuce, cantaloupes, and like 15 different types of tomatoes. tilling the ground here is a [redacted] but necessary because the soil's got no aeration or organic matter

direct sow on everything bc i was lazy and didn't feel like starting seeds inside back in march. also growing conditions in ABQ are far from elite kansas standards so i'd rather the seedlings just get established and sink or swim rather than have to harden them off and potentially watch them go to crap later because of some random 50 mph winds. adding drip irrigation when i'm done sowing bc we haven't had any rain in 50 years

growing crimson queen sunflowers on the western edge of the garden for afternoon shade so my plants don't get scalded to eff by the sun here. also on the northern edge for privacy from the adjacent road. growing cucumbers, taters, and squash in pots too.

Pics or it didnt happen

Yard's mumped, I know, I'm working on it. All but 1 of my 24 pepper plants has germinated and that last one got planted late so it should be coming up any day now. We've got a decently long growing season so even though I planted late I'll probably have veggies ready for picking starting around August and should have stuff going through late September.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: June 07, 2022, 12:36:07 PM »
Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: June 07, 2022, 03:38:09 PM »
bad person bunnies are whipping my ass this year. That and ground squirrels. I'm trying to not deal with shitty netting around my raised beds this year. Its always a PITA and i'm pretty sure the little bastards get in anyway. was planning on a better and more permanent option this year, but i'm being lazy. they have munched my jalapeño and red pepper plants so much i'm not sure if they will recover. i've been spraying some pepper based repellent on them and they are coming back a bit.

may need to get a cat. didn't have this prob a few years ago when Kitty was alive.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: June 07, 2022, 04:00:30 PM »
bad person bunnies are whipping my ass this year. That and ground squirrels. I'm trying to not deal with shitty netting around my raised beds this year. Its always a PITA and i'm pretty sure the little bastards get in anyway. was planning on a better and more permanent option this year, but i'm being lazy. they have munched my jalapeño and red pepper plants so much i'm not sure if they will recover. i've been spraying some pepper based repellent on them and they are coming back a bit.

may need to get a cat. didn't have this prob a few years ago when Kitty was alive.

Have you considered an AR-15?
@mikec2w

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: June 07, 2022, 04:08:34 PM »

Have you considered an AR-15?

heh. Fitz, I've got a cat who seems like an absolute murderer. I'm willing to give her to you, free of charge.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: June 07, 2022, 09:16:22 PM »

Just get a dog (or an ar-15)

Online Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: June 08, 2022, 09:15:39 AM »

Have a dog. Chases the crap out of every animal all day every day. It is her life's goal to catch a bunny or squirrel. They apparently come out at night and munch.

I'm not a gun person. Can I set the gun up to just fire at things that move near the garden at night? This seems better than getting a cat.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: June 08, 2022, 01:26:46 PM »

Have a dog. Chases the crap out of every animal all day every day. It is her life's goal to catch a bunny or squirrel. They apparently come out at night and munch.

I'm not a gun person. Can I set the gun up to just fire at things that move near the garden at night? This seems better than getting a cat.

Be careful. Spring-guns and mantraps can lead to some troubs.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: June 22, 2022, 03:25:23 PM »
goddamn. left for oregon for like a week and a half after installing my drip irrigation system and the stuff i planted between the chiles is already going nuts.

The tomatillos (top middle) blew the eff up and the borage (top left) is looking great. Basil, cosmos and dill all are doing great on the bottom. Chiles have all sprouted and most are doing solid but I'm a little worried their roots might get crowded out by the herbs. I think I'll put the herbs at the top in future years to give the chiles some afternoon shade.

Zinnia on the left is already looking great, just hoping it won't crowd out the superhots. Amaranth is going nuts on the right. Think I'm gonna make a salad out of the amaranth leaves later this week so that the chiles don't get overwhelmed.

Everything's already sprouted in the wooden raised beds (tomatoes, melons, herbs, onions, carrots) and I've done a bunch of thinning. I'm not sure if my drip irrigation system has a leak or if it's just natural flow from the soil, I'll check on that later. But everything is getting the water it needs, it's been rainy the past few days but all the plants survived/germinated and grew during 100+ temps for all of last week.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: June 25, 2022, 09:21:54 PM »
I'm incredibly bad at growing carrots but I keep trying every year.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: June 25, 2022, 09:22:44 PM »
Mocat approves.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: June 26, 2022, 07:38:32 AM »
what is the point of the raised beds

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: June 26, 2022, 09:04:33 AM »

Less bending over and a lil easier to keep things like those waskily wabbits out of
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: June 26, 2022, 09:08:11 AM »
I'm incredibly bad at growing carrots but I keep trying every year.

I like how the one on the end is dabbing

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: June 27, 2022, 10:22:23 AM »

The soil where I live is crap and raised beds are pretty much the only way to grow anything successfully. Helps ensure good drainage, provides room for the roots to spread out, etc.