Ban?

Yes
4 (13.3%)
No
18 (60%)
Only ban purplewood
8 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Do you want to ban posters who have different political views than you?  (Read 2092 times)

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Purplewood is extremely sensitive that people want to ban him for being conservative. Is this paranoia founded in reality or just part of the normal conservative persecution complex?

Results will be interesting either way.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
I am also a conservative. I do not want to ban people for having different political views than I do and also don't think anyone here wants to ban anyone for having different political views than they do.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
can we define "political views"?

I mean, some folks here believe most things are tied up in one conspiracy or the other and are only 1d or 2d of chess away from some other conspiracy.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Just don't be a dickhole all the time. It's not that complicated. Political disagreements though? Absolutely not.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I voted 'yes' only because if everyone with differing views was banned there would be no reason to have The Pit anymore and we could burn it to the ground and go back to happier times.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
I voted 'yes' only because if everyone with differing views was banned there would be no reason to have The Pit anymore and we could burn it to the ground and go back to happier times.

Bro, the pit didn't ruin the run. 

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
I'd love to get rid of the pit, but if we did we'd have to start deleting posts and then the whining would be even worse. People can't help themselves.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Imagine if this was a political blog and the pit board was full of posts about cow farms and b's&g's

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Purplewood is extremely sensitive that people want to ban him for being conservative. Is this paranoia founded in reality or just part of the normal conservative persecution complex?

It doesn't have anything to do with being sensitive their chief.  All it had to do with is curiosity more than anything but I can see how you would get confused.  I can get riled up when it comes to people being complete bigoted aholes and I think that has been confirmed.  Hypocrisy can also touch a nerve I guess?  And you being a total dope.

Carry on. :gocho:
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

It doesn't have anything to do with being sensitive their chief.  All it had to do with is curiosity more than anything but I can see how you would get confused.  I can get riled up when it comes to people being complete bigoted aholes and I think that has been confirmed.  Hypocrisy can also touch a nerve I guess?  And you being a total dope.

I concur, seven is being a smarmy little twit with this poll.
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
I'd love to get rid of the pit, but if we did we'd have to start deleting posts and then the whining would be even worse. People can't help themselves.

When you like being a victim, the whole world are victimizers

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I know star seed to not be a smarmy little twit, so I disagree. I think he's trying to make a point. A good one, at that.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
No, mostly being a smarmy little twit, but all in good fun  :)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Well, then I retract my statement, you smarmy little rat.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
i voted yes, but it's just the one poster.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Yes this is probably correct. I’m too excited about current fball recruiting and fball stuff being built to really notice but I’m guessing the pit and people putting is pretty bad/annoying and needs to be put somewhere.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Unfortunately the poll does not include the one poster who needs to banned who exhibits the highest level of regurgitation/parroting/Captain Obvious

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I want to ban the intellectually lazy and/or challenged serial BOTH SIDES posters.

They're nihilists, man. They keep saying they believe in nothing.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I voted yes to keep the poll looking like a middle finger
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
I want to ban the intellectually lazy and/or challenged serial BOTH SIDES posters.

They're nihilists, man. They keep saying they believe in nothing.

Is this a dumb Chum post?  Do we actually have anyone that does that?
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
I voted yes to keep the poll looking like a middle finger

You will always be one of my favorite people on this board.. 

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

I know star seed to not be a smarmy little twit, so I disagree. I think he's trying to make a point. A good one, at that.

He tries way too hard to be funny but can make a decent joke on occasion I suppose?  And...He made a good point if you have the mental capacity of a twelve year old?

I guess you also have the innate ability to tell the tone/emotion on a post?  I would love that ability.

Fedor needs to post more.  :Woot:

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

He tries way too hard to be funny but can make a decent joke on occasion I suppose?  And...He made a good point if you have the mental capacity of a twelve year old?

I guess you also have the innate ability to tell the tone/emotion on a post?  I would love that ability.

Fedor needs to post more.  :Woot:

I do have that ability, thank you.

If I could offer one piece of advice to myself and every other poster here, it's that you're not nearly as smart as you think you are. Just hug your buds.

Offline turnbull

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
The Pit is a  cesspool but it comes with a warning label even though seeing some of the responses makes you wonder if it's worthwhile to even be here occasionally. A previous poster saying maybe the Pit should go away may be onto something actually but it is what it is.

I think there is a difference between banning someone, just tuning them out, or hearing them out as they speak their mind. I live by a rule of thumb if someone is just outright lying or willing to engage in the conspiracy theory thinking such as a Tucker Carlson who in McDougal vs Fox News his own employer said no reasonable person should believe him...or by his own admission "i'll just lie" they should be banned. Throwing in Alex Jones on this too as even he has argued in court no reasonable person should believe him...allowing them to continue is harmful as it's dangerous to public discourse/information.
Tuning people out (like I've done that to a poster on this board because it's nothing conspiracy theories and 7D chess about why the last conspiracy theory didn't work out with a new conspiracy theory) is okay because sometimes people are not overall a detriment to society just putting the "you're ignoring this user" works.

While letting people who operate in good faith are fine to hear from with different opinions, like how to run a government  which is totally in bounds to be heard even if it is something you disagree with, Supply Side vs FDR Tax policy,  putting out prevailing and consensus historical records totally fair as sometimes historically what looked good at the time (Woodrow Wilson  vs Harry Truman for example) Wilson was widely popular during his presidency but as time went on not so much, and the inverse like Harry Truman who not popular at the time but historically looks like one of the better Presidents the US has ever had as he established the Post WW2 order,  hearing new evidence  is necessary when it's available regardless of what side of the aisle it comes from. ( Though huge disclaimer here ONLY if it's in good faith obviously if someone is just willing to lie, outright whataboutism, or do the dreaded Both Sides despite the evidence they fall into the Tune Out/Ban part of the spectrum) .
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 07:00:07 AM by turnbull »

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
My omniscience is a heavy enough burden to carry, lighten my load and BAN ‘EM!