Author Topic: Adrian Martinez…. American hero and soon to be NFL quarterback  (Read 12666 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: Adrian Martinez…. American hero and soon to be NFL quarterback
« Reply #125 on: September 28, 2022, 10:57:55 PM »

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 28, 2022, 10:58:37 PM »
Martinez has definitely gotten a ton of hype. Media loves a good comeback story.
actually this story has less to do with martinez and everything to do with the national media hating nebraska and wanting to rub their face in their former qb’s success
Interesting take. Would the national media go so far as to give their Heisman vote to Adrian Martinez just to really stick it to the Cornhuskers?  I don’t know. But if Manti Te’o can win it, anything is possible.
Are you aware that Manti Teo didn’t win it? (I Googled.)
Yes, but I like Manti Te’o better than Johnny football. Johnny football didn’t wear a wreath of banana palm leaves around his neck at the award ceremony. I honestly felt sorry for Collin Klein finishing in third place behind those two buffoons. What a mockery of the Heisman Trophy

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 28, 2022, 11:06:57 PM »
Martinez has definitely gotten a ton of hype. Media loves a good comeback story.
actually this story has less to do with martinez and everything to do with the national media hating nebraska and wanting to rub their face in their former qb’s success
Interesting take. Would the national media go so far as to give their Heisman vote to Adrian Martinez just to really stick it to the Cornhuskers?  I don’t know. But if Manti Te’o can win it, anything is possible.

Are you aware the Heisman is voted on by the past Heisman winners, and not the media.

:dunno:

You forgot these voters.  Heisman Trophy voting consists of 870 media members, 57 living Heisman winners and one vote from the fans.  I wasn't aware media also voted, thx. Pete.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 28, 2022, 11:07:40 PM »
If 9AMs fake catfish girlfriend dies unexpectedly late in the season then he might have a shot

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 28, 2022, 11:10:54 PM »
If 9AMs fake catfish girlfriend dies unexpectedly late in the season then he might have a shot

Wasn't "she" actually a male?
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline bananaeater

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 29, 2022, 01:25:50 AM »

Wasn't "she" actually a male?

He was then but she isn't now.

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 29, 2022, 07:11:19 AM »
What goes into making a legitimate Heisman trophy candidate?
#1 National brand or championship level team.
#2 Player résumé.
#3 National media hype.

Who were our last “legitimate” Heisman Trophy candidates?

Michael Bishop
championship level team?check
K state was ranked #1 in the nation at one time.
Player résumé? check
coming off 1997 season success with big Fiesta Bowl win
National media hype? playboy magazine preseason #1, Sports Illustrated cover. lost out to Ricky Williams who had all of that plus played on a national brand team with more media hype

Collin Klein
championship level team?check
K state was ranked #1 in the nation at one time. Big 12 Champ
Player résumé? check
coming off 2010 season success
National media hype? Sports Illustrated cover. lost out to Johnnie Football who had all of that plus played on a national brand team with more media hype & Manti Te’o wtf?

Darren Sproles
Received votes

Ell Roberson
Wasn’t even a blip on the radar to the best of my knowledge.

Adrian Martinez
championship level team? In progress. Arlington is still on the table
Player résumé? check
Only active player in the nation with 9,000 passing yards and 2,000 rushing yards in a career. Has a chance to build his résumé for this year on a potential championship level team. Will we see more OU game type performance? I would say the chances are pretty good. The switch seems to have been flipped.

National media hype? I was surprised at the amount of national media attention that Adrian got after the win at Oklahoma. Skyler Thompson beat Oklahoma twice and never got that kind of national pub. Adrian Martinez was the #1 trending topic on twitter for 2 hrs sat night. it was probably the most attention k-state football has had since 2012. Media loves a good comeback story. 9 AM’s 4 years at Nebraska/Big 10 received a lot of scrutiny and national attention from the media. There is the added media narrative of 9 AM’s redemption and being able to rub their former QB’s success in Nebraska’s face.

Like I said, he would be a long shot to win the actual Heisman Trophy, a lot of things would have to fall just right over the next three months. But he does have a legitimate shot at being one of the top vote getters and attending the award ceremony in New York. Just my IMHO

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 29, 2022, 08:21:31 AM »
In this thread, HugeCat is learning about the Heisman Trophy for the first time. Fascinating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 29, 2022, 08:31:53 AM »
9AM isn't in the top 20 of heisman contenders right now.  He had been pretty disappointing with the exception of one game.  Outkick isn't about sports so don't take what they do with any seriousness.

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 29, 2022, 08:48:31 AM »
Yeah, I'm still not 100% sold on Adrian, but I really appreciate his efforts on Saturday. Go cats! Just make the Big 12 Championship game this year and I'll be a happy man.

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 29, 2022, 09:14:39 AM »
I have to lol out loud at the rubes in this thread that get butthurt because I posted a Dan Dakich interview of the big Fox sideline cheesecake reporter.  Y’all need to broaden your horizons instead of just listening to KFRM 550 AM, the 5000 watt voice of the plains out of Cloud County, KS, while driving around all day in your turnip trucks.  Hope I didn’t cause a vapor lock in your group think echo chamber

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 29, 2022, 09:27:48 AM »
I think we will look back at this as 9AM’s Heisman moment.
https://twitter.com/steveberklund/status/1574766172796510208?s=20&t=Rl2A2e5yqSvoi01aWPcFlw

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 29, 2022, 09:29:03 AM »
Listen to what you want but I don't think that Aggrieved White Guy Sports is a barometer of Heisman hype for a guy sitting at +4000 in the sports books.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 29, 2022, 09:32:51 AM »
The university needs to put up an AM 4 Heisman billboard in Times Square. Time to get our crap together.

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 29, 2022, 10:00:55 AM »
Listen to what you want but I don't think that Aggrieved White Guy Sports is a barometer of Heisman hype for a guy sitting at +4000 in the sports books.
Thanks for your permission. It was one Datapoint used to support the argument that there was a lot of national media hype around Adrian Martinez performance Saturday. You have such ideological tunnel vision that you can’t even recognize it for what it is.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 29, 2022, 10:07:28 AM »
https://twitter.com/steveberklund/status/1574766172796510208?s=20&t=Rl2A2e5yqSvoi01aWPcFlw
I remember when we started that drive I said I’d feel good if we just got two first downs, and this was the second!

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 29, 2022, 10:14:27 AM »
I really don't want to make this a politics thread.  If you want to talk about the seriousness of outkick, we can find a spot on the Joe Monty board to discuss Hooter Shania's big announcement. 

Back to 9AM, he's 10 out of 10 in a 10 team league in passing numbers.  He was trending because he had a big game and it's fun to dunk on Nebraska. I would love for him to win the Heisman, but for him to have a chance, K-State would need to sweep the B12 slate.  With this happening as early in the season as it did, and for a smaller school, he will need more performances like this against top competition as well.  On the plus side, I think there is a national interest in dunking on Nebraska.

The 3rd and 16 run was amazing.

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 29, 2022, 10:25:31 AM »

If he was truly Heisman worthy, wouldn't he have scored a t.d. on that run?  Just asking.
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 29, 2022, 10:39:44 AM »
No, sliding inbounds was better than giving them the ball with more than 2 minutes.

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 29, 2022, 10:45:42 AM »
No, sliding inbounds was better than giving them the ball with more than 2 minutes.

Oh I get it but just think about him cutting it back right between those three and doing a somersault after he dives in for the t.d.  Would have been pretty badass imo and then he's a lock for the trophy. :Woot:
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 29, 2022, 10:57:25 AM »
I have to lol out loud at the rubes in this thread that get butthurt because I posted a Dan Dakich interview of the big Fox sideline cheesecake reporter.  Y’all need to broaden your horizons instead of just listening to KFRM 550 AM, the 5000 watt voice of the plains out of Cloud County, KS, while driving around all day in your turnip trucks.  Hope I didn’t cause a vapor lock in your group think echo chamber
Clay Travis cuts his checks, bud.

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 29, 2022, 10:58:35 AM »
I really don't want to make this a politics thread.  If you want to talk about the seriousness of outkick, we can find a spot on the Joe Monty board to discuss Hooter Shania's big announcement. 

Back to 9AM, he's 10 out of 10 in a 10 team league in passing numbers.  He was trending because he had a big game and it's fun to dunk on Nebraska. I would love for him to win the Heisman, but for him to have a chance, K-State would need to sweep the B12 slate.  With this happening as early in the season as it did, and for a smaller school, he will need more performances like this against top competition as well.  On the plus side, I think there is a national interest in dunking on Nebraska.

The 3rd and 16 run was amazing.
Good call

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 29, 2022, 11:08:03 AM »
Clay Travis cuts his checks, bud.
lol. I don’t even know what that means, but it sounds funny.