Author Topic: Learning Piano  (Read 4115 times)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Re: Learning Piano
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2022, 10:55:09 AM »
I play and really enjoy it.  I played as a kid and always kind of played enough to not get super rusty, but didn't really devote much time to it between ages 12-23 or so.  About 10ish years ago I subscribed to https://www.webpianoteacher.com/, which I really really liked and reinvigorated my love for those 88 ebony and ivory keys we all know so well!  My dad (who was more or less in my same boat, proficiency-wise) also swears by it. 

Essentially, it's this guy whose got a bank of hundreds of fairly popular songs (plenty of Joel/Elton) who does vimeo tutorials.  He basically writes the "sheet music" in a way that's really easy to understand, and goes through the entire pieces step by step.  The tutorials range in difficulty, but he's got plenty of stuff for beginners, including some primary lessons on technique and theory.  It was fairly expensive, but much cheaper than a weekly lesson or anything like that.  Highly, highly recommend it. 

One hot pro tip from me (that others may disagree with): if you're going to learn something, plan on going through the extra step of committing it to memory.  Playing a piece of sheet music is fun, but sitting down at any piano anywhere and playing your repertoire is 1000x more satisfying.

Anyway, good for you_33.  It seems like once you turn a certain age, you really have to work to find a creative outlet for yourself, which we humans crave, imo.  So scratching that itch and learning a new skill is very exciting.

I only play from memory. I suck at sight reading. Also, this Joel you speak of. We talkin' 70s Joel, or that putrid 80s Joel?

whoa, hey buddy...you come after billy...i will know precisely why i go to extremes.

cracks knees. will travel.

unrelated, but question for any ITK pianists...whenever i (zero experience on the piano) am playing the air piano (frequently) my go-to move is thumb and ring finger hitting at the same time. What do you think? Am i probably a natural? Should i take up this instrument?
The first and fourth is always a hit!  If you really want to jam, throw the pinky in there too...though that chord is always a little sus.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2022, 12:06:40 PM »
exactly what i was hoping to hear, t-y DQ12

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2022, 01:35:30 PM »
unrelated, but question for any ITK pianists...whenever i (zero experience on the piano) am playing the air piano (frequently) my go-to move is thumb and ring finger hitting at the same time. What do you think? Am i probably a natural? Should i take up this instrument?
The first and fourth is always a hit!  If you really want to jam, throw the pinky in there too...though that chord is always a little sus.

can't believe this wasn't a spracne post

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2022, 01:44:55 PM »
Some photos for Spracne to see the real thing.  The only thing I don't like is how the cords are exposed due to the minimal design, but oh well.

Now here is some audio I recorded this morning.  It it was recorded using my phone which was lying next to me on the bench so not great quality.  In the first I played some scales soft, medium and then loud.  And in the second I played jingle bells soft, then loud.  (I also added my own little flair at the end of the 2nd jingle bells for a little treat)

https://streamable.com/ped70g

https://streamable.com/wi6voi

Thank you for this excellent information. And I loved the flair!

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2022, 01:47:24 PM »
I play and really enjoy it.  I played as a kid and always kind of played enough to not get super rusty, but didn't really devote much time to it between ages 12-23 or so.  About 10ish years ago I subscribed to https://www.webpianoteacher.com/, which I really really liked and reinvigorated my love for those 88 ebony and ivory keys we all know so well!  My dad (who was more or less in my same boat, proficiency-wise) also swears by it. 

Essentially, it's this guy whose got a bank of hundreds of fairly popular songs (plenty of Joel/Elton) who does vimeo tutorials.  He basically writes the "sheet music" in a way that's really easy to understand, and goes through the entire pieces step by step.  The tutorials range in difficulty, but he's got plenty of stuff for beginners, including some primary lessons on technique and theory.  It was fairly expensive, but much cheaper than a weekly lesson or anything like that.  Highly, highly recommend it. 

One hot pro tip from me (that others may disagree with): if you're going to learn something, plan on going through the extra step of committing it to memory.  Playing a piece of sheet music is fun, but sitting down at any piano anywhere and playing your repertoire is 1000x more satisfying.

Anyway, good for you_33.  It seems like once you turn a certain age, you really have to work to find a creative outlet for yourself, which we humans crave, imo.  So scratching that itch and learning a new skill is very exciting.

I only play from memory. I suck at sight reading. Also, this Joel you speak of. We talkin' 70s Joel, or that putrid 80s Joel?

whoa, hey buddy...you come after billy...i will know precisely why i go to extremes.

cracks knees. will travel.

Du calme, mon ami. I can confidently assert I'm the biggest Joel fan here. 70's, 80's, hell, even 90's (River of Dreams). There is no need for violence, especially with a knee cracker, because I've never seen someone lose a fight when they crack a knee right off the bat.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2022, 01:50:31 PM »

can't believe this wasn't a spracne post
TY

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2022, 02:02:44 PM »
i am knuckle deep in embarrassment that I only picked up on 50% of the entendre from DQ back there wow.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2022, 02:13:57 PM »
i am knuckle deep in embarrassment that I only picked up on 50% of the entendre from DQ back there wow.

That's okay, most people's ability to catch a music theory joke will B minor.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2022, 03:58:25 PM »

That's okay, most people's ability to catch a music theory joke will B minor.

;)

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2022, 01:29:56 PM »
Almost 3 weeks in and I've gotten a lot better. (I can play Auld Lang Syne really well) But I'm trying to add the pedal in now and it's incredibly hard.  Like I already have to do different things with each hand which is nearly impossible and now I have to think about what my foot is doing?!  Any pro-tips for resident piano players (pianists) on the pedal would be 'preciated.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2022, 01:39:55 PM »
my pro tip is that the pedal will get much easier and become second nature and eventually you won't really even think about it.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2022, 01:41:29 PM »
my pro tip is that the pedal will get much easier and become second nature and eventually you won't really even think about it.

Yeah, this. I just think of it as tapping my foot to a rhythm.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2022, 01:42:21 PM »
just pedal whenever you want 33, nobody can stop you

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2022, 01:47:50 PM »
Go light on that pedal.  It’s easy to fall into the “wow this sounds awesome MOAR!” trap.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2022, 01:48:35 PM »
Just get one of those bird things that bob up and down and use it to pedal for you.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2022, 01:59:33 PM »
I am not a piano player per se, but it is very much a part of my craft. I lounge lustily across the top of pianos whilst singing, and will frequently plop down beside the piano player on the bench while crooning out a particularly somber piece.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2022, 08:22:06 PM »
I have purchased this. I hope you are a man of your word, _33. We'll find out, either way.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2022, 08:20:33 AM »
I have purchased this. I hope you are a man of your word, _33. We'll find out, either way.

Nice!  FYI: you will need headphones with a 1/4" jack or a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter. (if you plan on utilizing the headphone option)

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2022, 08:29:03 AM »
Spracne is the man(zarek)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2022, 11:26:24 AM »

Nice!  FYI: you will need headphones with a 1/4" jack or a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter. (if you plan on utilizing the headphone option)

Thing is, I know I have an adapter SOMEWHERE. But I'm not even going to try to find it. TO AMAZON!  :cheese:

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2022, 02:20:08 PM »
"Somewhere Over The Rainbow" is absolutely kicking my butt right now.  I'm making progress though. I'll post some sound when I have it mastered.

Also what 'cool' song (I mean not a song from by learning book) should I try to play first?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2022, 02:26:00 PM »
"Somewhere Over The Rainbow" is absolutely kicking my butt right now.  I'm making progress though. I'll post some sound when I have it mastered.

Also what 'cool' song (I mean not a song from by learning book) should I try to play first?

Joel is always a good decision. I found "And So It Goes" and "She's Got a Way" to be pretty easy.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2022, 03:02:55 PM »
Spracne, are you enjoying the piano? Did it live up to your expectations?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2022, 03:06:04 PM »
Spracne, are you enjoying the piano? Did it live up to your expectations?

It's still boxed up because I'm lazy.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2022, 03:12:00 PM »

Try the Gary Jules version of Mad World.  It's not generally considered lively or a banger but will totally convey the concept of staring out the window while contemplating your pathetic existence.  Wait what?