Author Topic: Name Image Likeness Mo Money Mo Problems  (Read 5825 times)

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Name Image Likeness Mo Money Mo Problems
« on: April 28, 2022, 10:26:14 PM »

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Name Image Likeness Mo Money Mo Problems
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2022, 10:36:24 PM »
these players have been held as essentially slave labor as their only path to professionalism for so long they deserve to do whatever is best for themselves.

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2022, 10:37:56 PM »
Welcome to Miami, Nigel. That locker room is going to be a crap show.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2022, 11:02:58 PM »

Not much of a change for him except his new crap show is ran by billionaires and cocaine addicts. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2022, 11:12:02 PM »

Not much of a change for him except his new crap show is ran by billionaires and cocaine addicts.

is there any other rough ridin' cool crap going on?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2022, 08:39:24 AM »
these players have been held as essentially slave labor as their only path to professionalism for so long they deserve to do whatever is best for themselves.
Give me a break. Slave labor? 200K worth of a free ride for everything. 90% of the roster doesn’t do Jack crap for the University. Stop this victim hood crap.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2022, 08:48:17 AM »
Give me a break. Slave labor? 200K worth of a free ride for everything. 90% of the roster doesn’t do Jack crap for the University. Stop this victim hood crap.

The slave labor mindset applies to probably one person on every Division 1 basketball team who could possibly get more $$.  The rest get a free education, tutoring, meals, sweet swag, and a pretty nice place to bunk.  Leaving college debt free is a great head start.  I'm all about an all-american getting paid for what he does for the University from a marketing perspective, but Wacky is right that 90% of the roster doesn't do jack crap.  99% of us can't even list the first and last names of all the guys who don't start.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2022, 08:54:50 AM »
Who cares, if someone wants to pay them good for them

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2022, 08:57:31 AM »
Isaiah Wang was getting $100,000 from life wallet

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2022, 09:08:53 AM »

The slave labor mindset applies to probably one person on every Division 1 basketball team who could possibly get more $$.  The rest get a free education, tutoring, meals, sweet swag, and a pretty nice place to bunk.  Leaving college debt free is a great head start.  I'm all about an all-american getting paid for what he does for the University from a marketing perspective, but Wacky is right that 90% of the roster doesn't do jack crap.  99% of us can't even list the first and last names of all the guys who don't start.
Exactly, and now that person can actually make that money and the rest can continue getting school paid for. Win for everyone.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2022, 09:09:39 AM »
Who cares, if someone wants to pay them good for them
That’s fine. Don’t refer to it as slave labor tho if they don’t get “paid”.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2022, 09:43:31 AM »
There should have been a max payout for NIL. This is going to turn into a crap show of jealousy and greed.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2022, 09:50:31 AM »
Smaller schools will still be left in the dust. Nothing has changed. It’s just public now.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2022, 11:18:05 AM »

that sounds like it rules

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2022, 11:48:00 AM »
Smaller schools will still be left in the dust. Nothing has changed. It’s just public now.
Yea and there's really no way to corral it either without stepping on the decision to originally allow it. I didn't read a lot about the specifics of the court's ruling, but if I understand it correctly the NCAA doesn't have the right to restrict earning potential in this area. It will just come down to who has the highest capability to pay players without getting the return on what the players are actually providing with their name.

I've debated looking into creating a fund where kstate donors can give money and the fund would be used to pay players. The benefit is the fund would earn returns and roughly 10% of the original donation would go to the players each year, but it would pay out that 10% essentially in perpetuity.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2022, 11:49:25 AM »
At the heart of it, I think student-athletes being just that would be the path. The devaluing of free education and all the other perks is sad, as is the fall of amateurism. But you can’t really have that anyway with  college sports becoming huge business and coaches, clothing companies and networks making ungodly amounts of money.

The other side of the coin is how will these athletes been seen going forward? They aren’t just “kids” who have ups and downs and make mistakes. Especially w/ deals like this Miami stuff, these dudes are professional athletes and will have to deal with all of the negatives that come with that as well as the money.

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2022, 11:58:16 AM »
Yea and there's really no way to corral it either without stepping on the decision to originally allow it. I didn't read a lot about the specifics of the court's ruling, but if I understand it correctly the NCAA doesn't have the right to restrict earning potential in this area. It will just come down to who has the highest capability to pay players without getting the return on what the players are actually providing with their name.

I've debated looking into creating a fund where kstate donors can give money and the fund would be used to pay players. The benefit is the fund would earn returns and roughly 10% of the original donation would go to the players each year, but it would pay out that 10% essentially in perpetuity.
Whoa, slow down James Sperman

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2022, 11:59:50 AM »

Whoa, slow down James Sperman
I like to think big and never follow through, sd
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2022, 12:26:50 PM »
Also, who is James Sperman?  :dunno:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2022, 01:01:52 PM »
It’s a ksufans deep cut

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2022, 01:09:38 PM »

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2022, 01:10:55 PM »
At the heart of it, I think student-athletes being just that would be the path. The devaluing of free education and all the other perks is sad, as is the fall of amateurism. But you can’t really have that anyway with  college sports becoming huge business and coaches, clothing companies and networks making ungodly amounts of money.

The other side of the coin is how will these athletes been seen going forward? They aren’t just “kids” who have ups and downs and make mistakes. Especially w/ deals like this Miami stuff, these dudes are professional athletes and will have to deal with all of the negatives that come with that as well as the money.

A higher level of criticism will be brought down on those athletes who have big NIL deals and suck. They lose their "just a kid" defense (because they are young professionals getting paid for doing their job).

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2022, 11:17:39 AM »
 I listened to the Curry Sexton interview on KMan and K state is not going to push the boundaries by offering NIL money as a recruitment incentive. They’re going to do how it was intended and reward players that perform after they’ve signed/played/performed/deserved NIL money.  Typical k state. Always losing but hanging onto that moral high ground that nobody gives a crap about. This is just my opinion, but I wouldn’t count on getting any high profile recruits (Antoine Davis/Shawn Phillips) with the kind of money that’s being thrown around for players before they ever see the court/field.