Author Topic: Name Image Likeness Mo Money Mo Problems  (Read 5822 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Name Image Likeness Mo Money Mo Problems
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2022, 12:37:23 PM »
I don't think that's particularly true with regards to using NIL as a recruitment tool. First of all, it's worth noting that using NIL as a recruitment tool is really the only thing that's explicitly banned by the NCAA. Sure, there's the question about enforceability, but an attorney isn't going to verbally flaunt NCAA rules on a radio interview. He stopped short of doing what Iowa State's single collective said, they were explicit about not using NIL to pay incoming players. Secondly, I do think using NIL to attract incoming players will be very rare for all schools. The reason the Pack/LifeWallet deal was so noteworthy was because of how rare it is. Trying to outbid schools for transfers will get very expensive very quickly and I don't know how many collectives are willing and able to do that. It's pretty simple, would you rather spend $400,000 on Antoine Davis or Deuce?

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2022, 01:27:03 PM »
I hope you’re right. I was initially pretty pumped about our name image likeness efforts. But unless “big-time“ recruits can be enticed by showing them examples of what previous student athletes have received and a promise to talk after they sign or show up on campus, I’m starting to get a bad feeling about the way name image likeness is moving.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2022, 02:16:27 PM »
No doubt that the direction of NIL isn't great and far from it's intent, however it's really a math issue. If every basketball program has to replace 5-7 players every year and every football program has to replace 25 players a year, there isn't enough money for all of these guys to put their services up for bid. Yeah, they'll be some but trying to buy every new player you're trying to put on scholarship isn't sustainable, for everyone.

It even seems as if LifeWallet shot their load with Pack. I'm guessing if you asked Miami fans two weeks ago would they rather have Pack or Wing, they're picking Wong. LifeWallet doesn't want to commit the means to retaining the leader on the team that got them to their first elite 8.

I'm willing to bet that Pack deal was less about Pack and more about John Ruiz. The problem with that is did he possibly set a baseline expectation for a lot of Miami's prospective athletes? He'll be broke by September.

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2022, 10:11:56 AM »
nah, i looked on their board and they are telling Wong to eff off lol

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2022, 01:38:07 PM »
nah, i looked on their board and they are telling Wong to eff off lol
well of course they are now, that's why I said two weeks ago. We're not expecting college sports fans to be tolerant of college athletes essentially making themselves free agents, are we?

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2022, 09:52:00 PM »
"Where we erred was focusing on educating our athletes about NIL and not just collecting cash and paying kids to come to Wichita State," Boatright said in a previous interview. "We were told all along this was not pay-for-play, but now it appears the NCAA has no problems with that, so why not?"

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/33856428/wichita-state-shockers-fire-athletic-director-darron-boatright-amid-criticism-school-compete-nil-market

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2022, 12:07:45 AM »
"Where we erred was focusing on educating our athletes about NIL and not just collecting cash and paying kids to come to Wichita State," Boatright said in a previous interview. "We were told all along this was not pay-for-play, but now it appears the NCAA has no problems with that, so why not?"

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/33856428/wichita-state-shockers-fire-athletic-director-darron-boatright-amid-criticism-school-compete-nil-market

came here to post this too, pretty crazy reason for a firing imo...

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2022, 12:07:31 PM »

came here to post this too, pretty crazy reason for a firing imo...

:lol:

https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article261096362.html

Remember what I said about fans and Jerome Tang? One of the reasons the fans wanted this dude fired is because of Isaac Brown. That dude won a conference championship his first year, only the second WSU coach to do so, and a very vocal component of their fan base already want him fired. There were literally 2 players on the roster when he took the job and that team he built immediately won a conference championship. He is in real jeopardy of getting fired in year 3 if he doesn't make the tournament, it's insane.

And lol at those idiots blaming the AD for them not having no NIL money, that isn't on the AD, it's on them. It is not surprising at all to any Wichitans or former Wichitans that they don't have any NIL money. Wichita businesses have no interest in even contributing to the betterment of their community, build a rough ridin' park, they sure in the eff aren't going to give money to black boys to dribble a ball. Imagine crying about not having NIL money while buying billboards to call for an AD firing, pathetic. They should just focus on firing university presidents for not being woke enough, they do that very well.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2022, 12:34:46 PM »
It is not surprising at all to any Wichitans or former Wichitans that they don't have any NIL money. Wichita businesses have no interest in even contributing to the betterment of their community, build a rough ridin' park, they sure in the eff aren't going to give money to black boys to dribble a ball.

It’s a little surprising to me in the sense that some local individuals and businesses were way too in to wsu basketball and baseball than they should be for having no connection to the school other than it being a business located in the same city as them. Like, no, nurse handling my ball radiation, that this is taking place 4 miles from where that campus is does not mean I have any thought on them winning a basketball tournament game.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2022, 12:37:02 PM »
It is not surprising at all to any Wichitans or former Wichitans that they don't have any NIL money. Wichita businesses have no interest in even contributing to the betterment of their community, build a rough ridin' park, they sure in the eff aren't going to give money to black boys to dribble a ball.

It’s a little surprising to me in the sense that some local individuals and businesses were way too in to wsu basketball and baseball than they should be for having no connection to the school other than it being a business located in the same city as them. Like, no, nurse handling my ball radiation, that this is taking place 4 miles from where that campus is does not mean I have any thought on them winning a basketball tournament game.

brokies tho

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2022, 01:15:07 PM »

brokies tho

Thought there’d be intrust bank debit cards with player faces on them and autograph signings of $12.99 shirts at dillons.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2022, 01:18:42 PM »

brokies tho

Thought there’d be intrust bank debit cards with player faces on them and autograph signings of $12.99 shirts at dillons.

That'd be lit, the debit card part, I couldn't imagine, as a college student having to sit at the south Broadway Dillons signing shirts, woof. I just saw a rough ridin' fantastic NIL deal that I'm going to post in one of the other 8 NIL threads.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2022, 01:52:24 PM »
Welp, guess I'm putting it here. Anyway, this is a great NIL deal and exactly how it should work. Good for Bacot.
https://twitter.com/RossMartin_IC/status/1521886461733310467

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2022, 02:13:23 PM »
Welp, guess I'm putting it here. Anyway, this is a great NIL deal and exactly how it should work. Good for Bacot.
[tweet]1521886461733310467[/tweet]
Thanks, Raindrops, I am very passionate about thread integrity. You might call it my personal obsession.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2022, 02:39:56 PM »
I'm looking forward to these Bacot bits.

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2022, 01:31:27 PM »
 :confused:

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2022, 01:38:12 PM »
any NIL that's not briggs auto or kanequip probably isn't a good thing for us here

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2022, 01:39:51 PM »
https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1523730731192578049?s=20&t=xmoR0xQZHdUgWLx7YjyTSQ

Where do the Chinese want him to play?

Goodman deleted the Maryland or BYU tweet right after he posted this. I'm guessing someone from Davis' camp fed him the glowballs tip in exchange of him taking the previous tweet down.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2022, 01:41:17 PM »
any NIL that's not briggs auto or kanequip probably isn't a good thing for us here
hur hur hur
Y'all don't get tired of the same cornball crap?

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2022, 01:43:46 PM »
it's kanequip or cry

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2022, 01:45:46 PM »
it's kanequip or cry

I'm certain you're trolling but in case you're not you should probably check the NIL deals our athletes have signed. The only local one is that maga car dealer that let Nijel drive their car.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile