Author Topic: Portaling  (Read 57516 times)

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Portaling
« Reply #425 on: April 29, 2022, 07:36:19 PM »
How can they(the athletic depts)  maintain status of non profit org in that situation?

Huh? Non-profits can have paid employees, they just can't have profits.  Pretty sure we pay out coaches, AD and a whole bunch of other people.  If they are all volunteers then I take back anything bad I have ever said about any coach or admin ever.

The NCAA has been able to maintain Non Profit status because they are furthering the education of college athletes. Athletes negotiating as a union for what amounts to wages essentially turns it into a minor league. At least that would be the argument.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: April 30, 2022, 04:30:01 PM »
the tax exempt status of p5 athletic departments will be tough to keep when the players become employees instead of students

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: April 30, 2022, 08:29:37 PM »
the tax exempt status of p5 athletic departments will be tough to keep when the players become employees instead of students

Im guessing there's some grey area here when the universities aren't the ones actually paying the athletes? 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: April 30, 2022, 11:33:41 PM »
How can they(the athletic depts)  maintain status of non profit org in that situation?

Huh? Non-profits can have paid employees, they just can't have profits.  Pretty sure we pay out coaches, AD and a whole bunch of other people.  If they are all volunteers then I take back anything bad I have ever said about any coach or admin ever.

The NCAA has been able to maintain Non Profit status because they are furthering the education of college athletes. Athletes negotiating as a union for what amounts to wages essentially turns it into a minor league. At least that would be the argument.

The type of business has nothing to do with not-for-profit status.

Again, as houstoncat stated with nfp status, tax exemption has nothing to do with having paid employees. Literally every single tax exempt BUSINESS has paid employees some hundreds, thousands.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: May 01, 2022, 12:13:32 PM »
can confirm, I work in the non-profit sector and do get paid.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: May 01, 2022, 12:39:44 PM »
Pro sports leagues are tax exempt

Online Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: May 01, 2022, 01:56:02 PM »
Pro sports leagues are tax exempt

The NFL is not as of 2015.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: May 01, 2022, 02:41:55 PM »
The more I read about this the less likely it seems the IRS or any govt organization will eff with the Tax Exempt status of the NCAA.    The threshold to reverse their status is pretty damn high.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: May 01, 2022, 04:05:17 PM »
Are you supposed to be providing some sort of charity for tax-exempt status, or is the threshold simply that you don't make money? Because if you have to provide some sort of charitable benefit, I can see how your employees being the beneficiaries might be problematic. If it's just that you don't make money, then university athletics are probably going to be just fine, as laughable as that is.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: May 01, 2022, 04:08:49 PM »
Are you supposed to be providing some sort of charity for tax-exempt status, or is the threshold simply that you don't make money? Because if you have to provide some sort of charitable benefit, I can see how your employees being the beneficiaries might be problematic. If it's just that you don't make money, then university athletics are probably going to be just fine, as laughable as that is.

Depends what you mean by "charitable benefit." Under the IRS Code, a broad range of organizations qualify.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Portaling
« Reply #435 on: May 01, 2022, 07:23:41 PM »
You can be a non-profit without being a charity. The biggest difference I think is that contributions/donations to charities give tax benefits to the donor (i.e., they are incentivized), whereas those to other non-profits do not.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: May 02, 2022, 09:49:56 AM »
The exempt purposes set forth in section 501(c)(3) are charitable, religious, educational, scientific, literary, testing for public safety, fostering national or international amateur sports competition, and preventing cruelty to children or animals. The term charitable is used in its generally accepted legal sense and includes relief of the poor, the distressed, or the underprivileged; advancement of religion; advancement of education or science; erecting or maintaining public buildings, monuments, or works; lessening the burdens of government; lessening neighborhood tensions; eliminating prejudice and discrimination; defending human and civil rights secured by law; and combating community deterioration and juvenile delinquency.

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/charitable-organizations/exempt-purposes-internal-revenue-code-section-501c3

This is the high-level requirements for non-profits.  As long as you can tie the athletes to an educational purpose then you fall under these requirements.  In my experience, the IRS is very loose on interpreting these standards.  You could probably argue that the stadiums are public buildings but would need a lawyer to check that one.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: May 02, 2022, 01:32:58 PM »
The exempt purposes set forth in section 501(c)(3) are charitable, religious, educational, scientific, literary, testing for public safety, fostering national or international amateur sports competition, and preventing cruelty to children or animals. The term charitable is used in its generally accepted legal sense and includes relief of the poor, the distressed, or the underprivileged; advancement of religion; advancement of education or science; erecting or maintaining public buildings, monuments, or works; lessening the burdens of government; lessening neighborhood tensions; eliminating prejudice and discrimination; defending human and civil rights secured by law; and combating community deterioration and juvenile delinquency.

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/charitable-organizations/exempt-purposes-internal-revenue-code-section-501c3

This is the high-level requirements for non-profits.  As long as you can tie the athletes to an educational purpose then you fall under these requirements.  In my experience, the IRS is very loose on interpreting these standards.  You could probably argue that the stadiums are public buildings but would need a lawyer to check that one.

I mean, there's also that sports competition part, but what do I know? (not much)

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 02, 2022, 01:54:43 PM »

I mean, there's also that sports competition part, but what do I know? (not much)

amateur sports competition

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 02, 2022, 02:50:06 PM »

amateur sports competition

Amateur seems like a squishy word, here.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: May 02, 2022, 02:56:14 PM »
It's definitely a word that is being squished.

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: May 03, 2022, 12:35:33 PM »

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: May 04, 2022, 01:40:23 PM »
come home, Dexter

[instagram]https://www.instagram.com/p/CdJV3wWl1SK/[/instagram]

Offline WildcatNation

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 04, 2022, 03:05:20 PM »
Someone tell me how to feel about that dude. Stats didn't look very great for a bad Wichita State team.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile

Offline Church Creeper

• Fan
  • Help me get rid of it by sniffing it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: May 05, 2022, 10:08:22 AM »
Someone tell me how to feel about that dude. Stats didn't look very great for a bad Wichita State team.

Defensive stopper and DPOY in the AAC. Offensive liability.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: May 05, 2022, 11:16:30 AM »

Defensive stopper and DPOY in the AAC. Offensive liability.

Yea, scrappy defender, not going to pick pockets often, but he makes life miserable for his man. Before this year he was a good for a few clutch 3’s a game, but this year was pretty bad from 3. Would be a good defensive compliment to someone like Davis, but I don’t think it’s ruining our plans if he doesn’t come here.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: May 05, 2022, 05:24:44 PM »

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: May 05, 2022, 05:37:22 PM »
Getting a feeling that we’re really not getting dudes and we’re going to have to win by trying hard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: May 05, 2022, 07:07:29 PM »
But that’s my least favorite way to win.