Author Topic: What’s the Joe Rogan thing?  (Read 11006 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: What’s the Joe Rogan thing?
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2022, 08:35:56 PM »
I can assure you no one relies on Rogan for anything other than entertainment value.  He lets Alex Jones on to get high and talk about aliens. I’ll never understand people who want to censor other people for their content.

a) I think you are overestimating the intelligence of an absolute huge percentage of his listerers/our population.
b) nobody is censor'ing anyone. and if spotify decides to cut him or do anything else they won't be either. they will be making a business decision which this absolute trash stock price demands they make. and he is free to still talk moron talk to other morons anywhere else this giant capitalist planet will allow.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2022, 08:43:43 PM »
Yeah ww you'll still be able to listen to Joe uncensored it just might not be on Spotify. But it probably still will be.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2022, 08:45:02 PM »
Yeah ww you'll still be able to listen to Joe uncensored it just might not be on Spotify. But it probably still will be.
good post good poster michigancat

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2022, 09:02:04 PM »
I can assure you no one relies on Rogan for anything other than entertainment value.  He lets Alex Jones on to get high and talk about aliens. I’ll never understand people who want to censor other people for their content.

a) I think you are overestimating the intelligence of an absolute huge percentage of his listerers/our population.
b) nobody is censor'ing anyone. and if spotify decides to cut him or do anything else they won't be either. they will be making a business decision which this absolute trash stock price demands they make. and he is free to still talk moron talk to other morons anywhere else this giant capitalist planet will allow.

The musicians are absolutely trying to censor him by leveraging their economics.  It looks like they probably won’t be successful, which ironically is what I think Joe wants to happen.   He has basically abandoned what made him popular and has leaned into the covid stuff  which has predictably landed him in the crosshairs.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2022, 09:05:50 PM »

Why even try to remove his platform? Just have Dr Malone on whatever other format people trust and let him state his case.  If his ideas are false/dumb/whatever people take issue with then it will become evident and people can decide for themselves.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2022, 09:07:09 PM »
Free market

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2022, 09:11:39 PM »

The musicians are absolutely trying to censor him by leveraging their economics.  It looks like they probably won’t be successful, which ironically is what I think Joe wants to happen.   He has basically abandoned what made him popular and has leaned into the covid stuff  which has predictably landed him in the crosshairs.

First of all, are you crazy? Lots of people not only take Joe Rogan for gospel, but they are the most likely to rub him in someone else's face like he's the final word on everything he says.

Secondly, what the musicians are doing isn't censorship they're trying to deplatform him and there's a difference. If he were on his own network they'd treat him like Alex Jones and that's ignore the eff out of him. They don't want to share a platform with him and that's their right. If I knew someone I despised, like that racist I have purple wood, sat in the same restaurant as me, I'd ask someone to make him leave. If they did, awesome, if they didn't I'd have to, because I wouldn't want to look at his hood or smell the sulfur coming off of his body. My hope is that they would say, sorry Mr Rain, don't leave we'll get him to go, but they very well may not then I'd have to go somewhere else for my tomahawk steak.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2022, 09:15:46 PM »

Why even try to remove his platform? Just have Dr Malone on whatever other format people trust and let him state his case.  If his ideas are false/dumb/whatever people take issue with then it will become evident and people can decide for themselves.

I mean I don't really give a crap, I'm all about survival of the fittest, but people are dying because of COVID and vaccine misinformation. He has one of the biggest platforms for this disinformation. He's not lying about investment advise, his advice may have very likely gotten some people killed. Joni Mitchell cares more about saving these people than they care about saving themselves.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2022, 09:17:20 PM »

I am not trying to remove his platform but I think those who are take issue with the opinions he amplifies that absolutely lead to more unvaccinated dipshits and make it harder for society to get back to normal. The people who take issue with it also profit from his platform and can rightfully choose to not do business with an organization they think is harming society  with someone they feel is dangerous to society.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2022, 09:29:39 PM »

I am not trying to remove his platform but I think those who are take issue with the opinions he amplifies that absolutely lead to more unvaccinated dipshits and make it harder for society to get back to normal. The people who take issue with it also profit from his platform and can rightfully choose to not do business with an organization they think is harming society  with someone they feel is dangerous to society.

I agree they can freely leverage their economics to influence who they share a platform with.  Their intent is to make what he and his guests have to say less accessible which I’m not a proponent of philosophically.   

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2022, 09:51:58 PM »
If you own a store and a great customer starts coming and just yells the craziest crap you can imagine…

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2022, 09:58:51 PM »

I agree they can freely leverage their economics to influence who they share a platform with.  Their intent is to make what he and his guests have to say less accessible which I’m not a proponent of philosophically.

I bet you have a limit to what content you would choose to both profit from and support.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2022, 10:00:48 PM »
You have to understand that these artists have skin in the game. It is their platform as much as it is Rogan's.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2022, 10:08:20 PM »
You have to understand that these artists have skin in the game. It is their platform as much as it is Rogan's.

Are you suggesting these artists are worried they will make less money if they continue to offer their product on the same platform as Joe Rogan?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2022, 10:17:58 PM »

Are you suggesting these artists are worried they will make less money if they continue to offer their product on the same platform as Joe Rogan?
No but they can get a windfall from libs who will buy their music because of this

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2022, 10:19:48 PM »

No, I'm suggesting they don't want to profit from what Rogan brings to Spotify and don't want to bring listeners to Rogan by having their music on Spotify. This will probably be an overall money loser for anyone that takes their content off Spotify.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2022, 10:35:02 PM »

No, I'm suggesting they don't want to profit from what Rogan brings to Spotify and don't want to bring listeners to Rogan by having their music on Spotify. This will probably be an overall money loser for anyone that takes their content off Spotify.

Oh yea they will be shooting their dick off financially for sure.  But maybe as Cire suggests it will be the catalyst for a different platform free of things these artists don’t want to be associated with. But mostly I agree with SD that Spotify needs to squash the beef and continue whipping ass.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2022, 02:11:33 AM »
They are losing a very small cut by leaving Spotify. They get $4 per thousand plays, $4000 per million plays. Joni Mitchell or Neil Young can do one solitary concert and make more on that than they would make on Spotify for their lives.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2022, 06:31:48 AM »
You don't have to listen to Joe. Why get your undies knotted?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2022, 06:39:16 AM »

I don't listen, but the artists are effectively supporting Rogan by staying on Spotify. Which is a bit different than you or me just ignoring him.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2022, 06:45:02 AM »

I don't listen, but the artists are effectively supporting Rogan by staying on Spotify. Which is a bit different than you or me just ignoring him.
I'm talking about the rest of you.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2022, 06:49:18 AM »
Well I also think it's valid for Spotify premium subscribers to not want their money to go to Joe Rogan. Even if they don't listen, they're contributing.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2022, 07:03:16 AM »
They are losing a very small cut by leaving Spotify. They get $4 per thousand plays, $4000 per million plays. Joni Mitchell or Neil Young can do one solitary concert and make more on that than they would make on Spotify for their lives.

Man Spotify out here robbing folks, damn.  These artists should get together and make their own app and make a larger piece of that pie. 

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2022, 07:19:59 AM »
I'd have no idea JRE existed if it wasn't for the whining. I have Spotify premium. So I hadn't heard any commercials nor had his show suggested as I don't listen to that style of show.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2022, 07:27:08 AM »
This is trending in the direction where they are going to have to say or do something. They need the rich musicians more than the rich musicians need them. If these artists keep pulling out it's going to become a real problem.

But what about Rogan's First Amendment rights, huh? (Still think they'll choose Rogan)
He has something like 13 million listeners. Seems like a lot.

He has the #1 podcast but most Spotify listeners aren't there for that podcast, it's a relatively minute part of their business.
https://twitter.com/btsloyalist/status/1487496948672311300
Man, I am very out of touch with what the kids are listening to these days. No idea who Bad Bunny or J Balvin are.
Bad Bunny is a professional wrestler
:adios: