Author Topic: RIP Ron Franklin  (Read 1426 times)

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
RIP Ron Franklin
« on: January 19, 2022, 02:52:06 PM »
Ron called a lot of great cats games and always seemed like a good human. RIP

https://www.si.com/media/2022/01/19/ron-franklin-espn-announcer-dies-79

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Ron Franklin
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 02:59:14 PM »
EDIT: I DIDN'T KNOW HE WAS FIRED IN 2011

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 03:05:36 PM »
My first thought was Ron Anderson which would have been sad

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 03:23:22 PM »
I got to chat with him a lot when I was working at the student station and doing games. He was at a lot of them. Really cool guy and super nice.

Online WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 05:01:39 PM »
EDIT: I DIDN'T KNOW HE WAS FIRED IN 2011

LOL yeah i was waiting for people to mention it but was pleasantly surprised.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 05:08:17 PM »
Dang.  He had a good voice and called a ton of big games over the years.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 05:24:14 PM »
Rest in peace. One of my all-time faves. Right up there with Mus.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2022, 06:08:26 PM »
He and Gottfried were really good on ESPN Saturday night prime time.  But sadly they called on one of the most frustrating Katate games ever, at least for me.  The CU game in ‘94.   

Never understood his beef with Holly Rowe and also another ESPN female reporter as I recall.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2022, 06:11:37 PM »
He and Gottfried were really good on ESPN Saturday night prime time.  But sadly they called on one of the most frustrating Katate games ever, at least for me.  The CU game in ‘94.   

Never understood his beef with Holly Rowe and also another ESPN female reporter as I recall.

Rachel Nichols?

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2022, 06:21:37 PM »

They were a great team. ESPN’s prime time teams from those days were really, really good.

Franklin and Gottfried for CFB
Mike Patrick and Theismann for NFL

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2022, 07:50:31 PM »

Rachel Nichols?

Guys, it's literally in the article that's linked and listed as why he was fired.
In 2011, ESPN fired Franklin due to an exchange with reporter Jeannine Edwards, allegedly referring to her as “sweet baby” and using a derogatory term after she objected to his remark.
https://youtu.be/n57DEeSscbA?t=31

Here's his incident with Holly. I loved listening to the dude call games too but it's clear he was a sexist shitbag.
https://youtu.be/il35MoMrUxM

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2022, 07:56:33 PM »
It's weird how much his voice resonates with college football for me and how I didn't notice him being gone at all for ten years

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2022, 08:52:53 PM »

Rachel Nichols?

Guys, it's literally in the article that's linked and listed as why he was fired.
In 2011, ESPN fired Franklin due to an exchange with reporter Jeannine Edwards, allegedly referring to her as “sweet baby” and using a derogatory term after she objected to his remark.

Here's his incident with Holly. I loved listening to the dude call games too but it's clear he was a sexist shitbag.
Was this game in the 90’s? Not giving him a pass for being a dick, but this kinda makes sense, with the times.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2022, 09:08:37 PM »

Rachel Nichols?

Was this game in the 90’s? Not giving him a pass for being a dick, but this kinda makes sense, with the times.

It was 2005

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2022, 09:13:36 PM »
My first thought was Ron Anderson which would have been sad

Same.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2022, 09:52:13 PM »

Rachel Nichols?

It was 2005
Checks out then.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2022, 10:47:58 PM »
It was a condescending remark to call her sweetheart.  If she was a male sideline reporter, sweetheart would have been really funny!