Author Topic: Possible oscar Weber Replacements Thread  (Read 33975 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Possible oscar Weber Replacements Thread
« Reply #350 on: March 10, 2022, 05:08:29 PM »
If I was Gene Taylor this is what I would do

1. Casually call up Brad and mention the job is his if he wants it. If he doesn't say yes right away you follow him 24/7/365 talking about how great it would be to "Come Home" until he says yes or files a restraining order.

2. Call that North Texas guy McCashland and tell him to pack his bags because he's got a 1 way direct flight from DFW to MHK.

3. If that doesn't work maybe ask someone else who is also a good candidate but not a SLTH.

4. If all else fails hit Southwell with a "U up?" Text on March 30th.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 10, 2022, 05:10:02 PM »
Grumblings on KSO that the money is there to get Brad here. It will be up to him to decide if KSU is really his dream job.

Yeah, it's there, it's always been there. It's just convincing the money guys to pony up, then convincing the guy you're throwing it at to take the job.

Offline WildcatNation

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 10, 2022, 05:10:37 PM »
If it’s not Underwood it’s gotta be 2a) McCasland or 2b) Tang. Also, think of the potential Tang jokes.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 10, 2022, 05:11:17 PM »
Brad is about to make Illinois pay him 6 million a year lmao, what amazing ride that dude has been on. Was making 400k at SFA six years ago.

If this happens we know he didn't want to come back and will never.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 10, 2022, 05:18:25 PM »
are we really going to pay him more than klieman though?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: March 10, 2022, 05:22:08 PM »
If that's what it takes we absolutely should. Way easier to build a winner in basketball. In basketball it's 100% about the head coach and advantages by blue bloods can be overcome, neither of those are true in football. Baylor has overtaken KU and Tech has pulled even with them, all due to having the right guy. The portal makes it even easier to build and win quickly.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 10, 2022, 05:35:13 PM »
are we really going to pay him more than klieman though?

My opinion matters 0% as no one is calling me for money to make this happen, but I have no problem paying Brad more than CK. Ck was completely unproven as a FBS coach, and is making 10x what he did at NDSU.

CK is due 3.5m in '22, and 4.3m '23-26.
Brad's making 4.1m at Illinois raising to 4.5 in '26.

No clue what it would take to get Brad to come here, assuming it'd have to be a decent more than he's making now. Maybe start at 4.5m now up to 4.9 or something. Still don't think it's all that unreasonable.

All this is pointless though bc Brad's not leaving Illinois.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: March 10, 2022, 05:37:44 PM »
Brad is about to make Illinois pay him 6 million a year lmao, what amazing ride that dude has been on. Was making 400k at SFA six years ago.

Will be a tough pill to swallow for some
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 10, 2022, 05:42:00 PM »

Meh, could mean that timing was bad bc he has a program rolling in a more lucrative and more stable conference. Even if we offer more $ it may not be the best career move for that reason alone.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #359 on: March 10, 2022, 05:48:56 PM »
I think the real question is does jrake think there is a better fit out there for KSU (football), or does he just want to be a negative nancy?

between FBS and FCS, there are roughly 260 head football coaches, 520 offensive and defensive coordinators, dozens of NFL coordinators, assistant head coaches, out-of-work former coaches, etc.

last year at KSO, someone in mid-october - username mobcat - suggested k-state hire seth LittreLL. he cited LittreLL's promising turnaround at UNT and his win-loss record, among other reasons (Big 12 ties, youth, offensive system, etc). others seemed intrigued by LittreLL, and he has been a constant potential candidate by fans in the many months since.

earlier this week, snyder officially announced his retirement. a national search for his replacement officially began (although it was surely already underway). and gene taylor's first choice is apparently ... seth LittreLL!

jon wefald/tim weiser embarked on a national search to find ron prince, and they did the same to get bob huggins (and also "moved heaven and earth" in trying to get him to stay).

gene taylor's first big search? eh, he came up with the same guy that mobcat did.

lol are we really going to do this again? is gene taylor's search firm going to once again land on another north texas coach, the same north texas coach that KSO identified as replacement #1 for the program?  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: March 10, 2022, 05:52:11 PM »

Meh, could mean that timing was bad bc he has a program rolling in a more lucrative and more stable conference. Even if we offer more $ it may not be the best career move for that reason alone.

If he's a good coach his program will always be rolling, we wouldn't want to hire him if it weren't. As far as the conference stuff, this isn't football. The conference doesn't matter a single damn bit, but if it did the Big 12 is the best basketball conference in America and will stay in the top 3 for the foreseeable future. The three most decorated programs the last 5 years are Villanova, Baylor, and Gonzaga. You can win anywhere with the right guy.

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 10, 2022, 05:55:00 PM »
I think the real question is does jrake think there is a better fit out there for KSU (football), or does he just want to be a negative nancy?

between FBS and FCS, there are roughly 260 head football coaches, 520 offensive and defensive coordinators, dozens of NFL coordinators, assistant head coaches, out-of-work former coaches, etc.

last year at KSO, someone in mid-october - username mobcat - suggested k-state hire seth LittreLL. he cited LittreLL's promising turnaround at UNT and his win-loss record, among other reasons (Big 12 ties, youth, offensive system, etc). others seemed intrigued by LittreLL, and he has been a constant potential candidate by fans in the many months since.

earlier this week, snyder officially announced his retirement. a national search for his replacement officially began (although it was surely already underway). and gene taylor's first choice is apparently ... seth LittreLL!

jon wefald/tim weiser embarked on a national search to find ron prince, and they did the same to get bob huggins (and also "moved heaven and earth" in trying to get him to stay).

gene taylor's first big search? eh, he came up with the same guy that mobcat did.

lol are we really going to do this again? is gene taylor's search firm going to once again land on another north texas coach, the same north texas coach that KSO identified as replacement #1 for the program?  :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm terrified the GT search firm pegs Henderson of South Dakota State. I've seen his name touted by some fans reluctantly parting with Oscar.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 10, 2022, 05:56:01 PM »

If he's a good coach his program will always be rolling, we wouldn't want to hire him if it weren't. As far as the conference stuff, this isn't football. The conference doesn't matter a single damn bit, but if it did the Big 12 is the best basketball conference in America and will stay in the top 3 for the foreseeable future. The three most decorated programs the last 5 years are Villanova, Baylor, and Gonzaga. You can win anywhere with the right guy.

It matters bc Kstate is pretty much mumped financially if the B12 goes under.

Power conferences are not as important as far as bball goes, but kstate will still need money to pay whatever salary he's making.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 10, 2022, 05:58:35 PM »
This will tell us if, despite the changes in people, whether the mentality of the ultimate KSU decision-makers has changed at all since 2012.

You're going to believe what you want to believe regardless.

I can already write the script for your segment of the fan base.
1. Have a really narrow group of acceptable hires, in this case it's Kim English and Brad Underwood.
2. Bitch and whine about K-State athletics and Amy Button Renz when you don't get your way.
3. Voilà!

I've seen the script a thousand times, it's not K-State that needs to determine whether or not it's changed, I hate to tell you bud, but it's you.

Has there been anyone relevant or difference-making?

I personally don't know nearly enough about college basketball anymore to have any opinion on who would be good to hire.

Let's see what's prioritized in the hiring process/efforts.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 10, 2022, 06:10:43 PM »
I might be in the market of buying out a part owner of this board, who’s hated #Kstate from day 1 after Frank left, and graduated from KU law school and still has a chip on his shoulder. I will literally give you guys dumb $ to move on from him and revive this board. Let me know. Go cats!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 10, 2022, 06:11:11 PM »

I'm terrified the GT search firm pegs Henderson of South Dakota State. I've seen his name touted by some fans reluctantly parting with Oscar.

He's been really good, I have no idea why this would terrify you more than any other young coach from a one bid league, he's probably the most accomplished one out there. Are you really wigging out over the literal word Dakota?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 10, 2022, 06:14:31 PM »

It matters bc Kstate is pretty much mumped financially if the B12 goes under.

Power conferences are not as important as far as bball goes, but kstate will still need money to pay whatever salary he's making.

The Big 12 isn't "going under" I don't even know how to address that, it's a nonstarter.

The entire conversation is contingent upon whether or not our donors are willing to, or if it's practical to meet his price because everyone has one.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 10, 2022, 06:19:38 PM »
This will tell us if, despite the changes in people, whether the mentality of the ultimate KSU decision-makers has changed at all since 2012.

1. Have a really narrow group of acceptable hires, in this case it's Kim English and Brad Underwood.
2. Bitch and whine about K-State athletics and Amy Button Renz when you don't get your way.
3. Voilà!

I've seen the script a thousand times, it's not K-State that needs to determine whether or not it's changed, I hate to tell you bud, but it's you.

I personally don't know nearly enough about college basketball anymore to have any opinion on who would be good to hire.

Since oscar was hired we've hired at least one coach in every sport but volleyball and track, we've hired an athletic director, and two different university presidents. I think General Myers was the Doug Gottlieb of university presidents and it most definitely didn't work out. The new guy was definitely a traditional hire.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 10, 2022, 06:23:36 PM »
MIR, can we be friends on this side from the board (non pit)? I think your fandom aligns a lot with me, but you’re smarter than me. Keep going!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 06:29:12 PM by 420seriouscat69 »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 10, 2022, 06:31:22 PM »
I'm an eternal optimist about the teams I cheer for, I legitimately don't get the point otherwise. Sports have made me sad, never pessimistic or miserable. If I felt I could no longer enjoy the teams I'd root for, I'd just quit and I wouldn't hang around to try to find company in my misery, I'd just remove the source of the misery.

It takes all kinds though, and as much as I talk crap to Pete, Trim, and sys on the sports boards, I don't think their outlook makes them bad people, I just don't get it but I don't have to either.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 10, 2022, 06:35:18 PM »

3. Voilà!

Since oscar was hired we've hired at least one coach in every sport but volleyball and track, we've hired an athletic director, and two different university presidents. I think General Myers was the Doug Gottlieb of university presidents and it most definitely didn't work out. The new guy was definitely a traditional hire.

I guess that was an inapplicable question because it's almost impossible to hire anyone relevant or difference-making (to me) in anything but football and mbb.

The last time anyone non-emaw/kansan talked to me about anything emaw was an uber driver in like 2015, and he thought we still had that basketball coach with the "crazy eyes."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 10, 2022, 06:46:07 PM »

3. Voilà!

I guess that was an inapplicable question because it's almost impossible to hire anyone relevant or difference-making (to me) in anything but football and mbb.

The last time anyone non-emaw/kansan talked to me about anything emaw was an uber driver in like 2015, and he thought we still had that basketball coach with the "crazy eyes."

See the problem here is you're already cast your judgment on the football coach, you followed the exact formula I laid out. Klieman is looking like he's a SLTH and LittreLL would have been a disaster. You're already playing the wait it out game and instead of saying "yeah I was probably wrong about Klieman v. LittreLL" you'll just wait out the clock until he, like 95% of all coaches, gets fired then act like we didn't see what we saw.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 10, 2022, 06:52:31 PM »

3. Voilà!

See the problem here is you're already cast your judgment on the football coach, you followed the exact formula I laid out. Klieman is looking like he's a SLTH and LittreLL would have been a disaster. You're already playing the wait it out game and instead of saying "yeah I was probably wrong about Klieman v. LittreLL" you'll just wait out the clock until he, like 95% of all coaches, gets fired then act like we didn't see what we saw.

Lol at LittreLL. That was just funny and posted loudly about because of Pete and the squat racks. I wanted Saban or Dabo.  ;)

Anyway, Nets-Sixers time.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: March 10, 2022, 06:59:36 PM »
Lol :facepalm:

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 10, 2022, 07:07:08 PM »
If we get Brad I’m going to get season tickets.  I may only go to 4 games a year but eff it.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best