Author Topic: Supreme Court Cases Thread  (Read 30290 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Supreme Court Cases Thread
« Reply #750 on: June 28, 2022, 06:22:19 PM »
Texas and Florida are easily the most important GOP states, and they are very much anti-gay.

Offline turnbull

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: June 28, 2022, 07:28:59 PM »
Weird story Texas was more competitive than Minnesota in 2020 at the Presidential Level.

Texas and Florida are easily the most important GOP states, and they are very much anti-gay.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: June 28, 2022, 08:01:10 PM »
Weird story Texas was more competitive than Minnesota in 2020 at the Presidential Level.

That’s because presidential elections aren’t gerrymandered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: June 28, 2022, 09:53:17 PM »
what about Ish Masood, stuck here and unable to transfer?  I don't know his religion for a fact but he could be Muslim based on name.

He is Muslim, Tang has spoken about it. He also could have transferred if he wanted, the NCAA hasn't really declined any waivers.

I don't think anyone addressed my point about this ruling. If they struck down the appellate court ruling they would be restricting his right to pray on the field, the ruling wasn't about coercion of his players. If it was deemed that he or anyone else were forcing players to pray, while working at a public school, then that should be dealt with as a separate issue.
I will point out again, that this ruling allows a Muslim coach to pray, publically, while coaching his team. When this happens, there is no expectation of any player joining the coach. The rights of all practicers of religion shouldn't be punished because the majority of bad actors, in this realm, are evangelicals.

u are buying into the majority's spin on the facts, which is contradicted by photographic evidence(!) in the dissent.  read it.  suffice it to say, a lot more was going on there besides the coach quietly praying on the field.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: June 28, 2022, 10:11:46 PM »
Yeah, I didn't really want to get into that one, but liberal conlaw twitter is absolutely adamant that the conservatives are misconstruing the case. I don't doubt that at all. That case is perfect culture war crap that they love.

Offline turnbull

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: June 28, 2022, 10:42:59 PM »
I know that, what that statement is saying that Texas is getting more competitive. It won’t flip as fast as Georgia or Virginia but it’s something to watch in the future.

That’s because presidential elections aren’t gerrymandered

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: June 29, 2022, 12:09:16 AM »
Can’t believe someone just posted a robert reich tweet

Facts can be hard to read and accept

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: June 29, 2022, 12:12:18 AM »
Robert "Third" Reich

Re-education camps:  Check

Struggle courts:  Check

Dissolve the Electoral College:  Check

A man after every ProgFacists stone cold heart

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: June 29, 2022, 12:20:20 AM »
what about Ish Masood, stuck here and unable to transfer?  I don't know his religion for a fact but he could be Muslim based on name.

He is Muslim, Tang has spoken about it. He also could have transferred if he wanted, the NCAA hasn't really declined any waivers.

I don't think anyone addressed my point about this ruling. If they struck down the appellate court ruling they would be restricting his right to pray on the field, the ruling wasn't about coercion of his players. If it was deemed that he or anyone else were forcing players to pray, while working at a public school, then that should be dealt with as a separate issue.
I will point out again, that this ruling allows a Muslim coach to pray, publically, while coaching his team. When this happens, there is no expectation of any player joining the coach. The rights of all practicers of religion shouldn't be punished because the majority of bad actors, in this realm, are evangelicals.

u are buying into the majority's spin on the facts, which is contradicted by photographic evidence(!) in the dissent.  read it.  suffice it to say, a lot more was going on there besides the coach quietly praying on the field.

I'm not buying any spin, I've yet to read a single quote about this case, before or after the ruling, that contended that this coach mandated prayer for anyone.

Yes, the heart of this issue is conservative culture war bullshit, but once again, telling a public school employee that they can't pray at their place of work would have had ramifications far beyond the religious right. I taught with a teacher who prayed in her classroom during Ramadan, of course no one was there when she did it, but if that ruling wasn't affirmed, she 109% would have lost the opportunity to pray, alone, in her classroom.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: June 29, 2022, 12:23:22 AM »
Some random lib: the sun is hot
dax: no it isn't, Nazi

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: June 29, 2022, 02:14:16 AM »

I'm not buying any spin, I've yet to read a single quote about this case, before or after the ruling, that contended that this coach mandated prayer for anyone.

Yes, the heart of this issue is conservative culture war bullshit, but once again, telling a public school employee that they can't pray at their place of work would have had ramifications far beyond the religious right. I taught with a teacher who prayed in her classroom during Ramadan, of course no one was there when she did it, but if that ruling wasn't affirmed, she 109% would have lost the opportunity to pray, alone, in her classroom.
you are completely misreading it the case.  (or, more likely, not reading the case, just commentary about it.) 
1) there can be inappropriate coercion without an explicit mandate.
2) even the majority admits that even if the coach lost the case, your teacher friend could face no consequences.  (school in this case offered the coach time to pray behind closed doors in private, but that was not good enough for either the coach or the majority)

anyway, it's not that long read it for yourself  https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/21pdf/21-418_i425.pdf

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: June 29, 2022, 09:15:44 AM »

What would your opinion be if the teacher would have prayed out loud to start class off every day and encouraged the rest of the class to join in? Students who weren't interested would be able to stay in their seats, of course.

Online Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: June 29, 2022, 09:31:07 AM »

you are completely misreading it the case.  (or, more likely, not reading the case, just commentary about it.) 
1) there can be inappropriate coercion without an explicit mandate.
2) even the majority admits that even if the coach lost the case, your teacher friend could face no consequences.  (school in this case offered the coach time to pray behind closed doors in private, but that was not good enough for either the coach or the majority)

anyway, it's not that long read it for yourself  https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/21pdf/21-418_i425.pdf
I only got 2 pages in;
"The contested exercise here does not involve
leading prayers with the team; the District disciplined Mr. Kennedy
only for his decision to persist in praying quietly without his students
after three games in October 2015."
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: June 29, 2022, 09:56:20 AM »
I only got 2 pages in;
"The contested exercise here does not involve
leading prayers with the team; the District disciplined Mr. Kennedy
only for his decision to persist in praying quietly without his students
after three games in October 2015."

Isn't this what is said is being misconstrued, though? Lots of smart, reasonable people say that the conservative justices lied about the facts of the case. (The same justices who lied under oath about Roe.)

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Supreme Court Cases Thread
« Reply #764 on: June 29, 2022, 12:24:29 PM »
https://twitter.com/jonshorman/status/1541980613791694850?s=21&t=96W1r51rz5oDJtPH306JFQ

Don’t get raped in Missouri

« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 12:50:38 PM by Cire »

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: June 29, 2022, 12:31:11 PM »
Dead link
:adios:

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: June 29, 2022, 12:49:46 PM »
Saint Luke’s stopped giving plan b pills

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Supreme Court Cases Thread
« Reply #767 on: June 29, 2022, 01:33:03 PM »

WTF. Are even the most hardcore fringe’y anti abortion people against plan B? Seems like this would fall to total ban with no exceptions. Concur DLew?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: June 29, 2022, 01:35:21 PM »

WTF. Are even the most hardcore fringe’y anti abortion people against plan B? Seems like this would fall to total ban with no exceptions. Concur DLew?

A lot of people are completely against post-sex contraception because they believe in making sluts face the consequences.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: June 29, 2022, 01:48:11 PM »
Can’t believe someone just posted a robert reich tweet
Just reminded me of how Rush Limbaugh used to say "Robert Reisssssshhhhh" on his show.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: June 29, 2022, 01:55:20 PM »

Scared of  Missouri’s new law

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: June 29, 2022, 02:35:26 PM »

Well, first, plan B isn't prohibited.  https://missouriindependent.com/2022/06/29/missouri-ag-says-state-abortion-ban-does-not-prohibit-plan-b-or-contraception/

Second, even if it was prohibited, i don't think that would render it "total ban no exception" if an exception exists for "medical emergencies" right there in the text of the statute.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: June 29, 2022, 02:47:55 PM »
Some random lib: the sun is hot
dax: no it isn't, Nazi
Robert “Third” Reich is not some random lib and any ProgLib (or anyone else) who openly lobbies for Pol Potian re-education camps deserves every ounce of ridicule they get. 

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: June 29, 2022, 02:52:09 PM »

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: June 29, 2022, 03:25:48 PM »
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/the-myth-at-the-heart-of-the-praying-bremerton-coach-case/

Pretty good summary of the coach praying case.

So how did this happen? Were these facts not included in the record on appeal? How did SCOTUS mangle the facts so badly? As they say, bad facts make bad law.