Author Topic: ReCATery (aka Sober Cats,800BETSOFF Cats,Like Chocoholics but for BoozeCats,etc)  (Read 9017 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Once I committed to not drinking, doing things I liked wasn't an issue. I enjoyed them more once I got over the weirdness of not having a drink at that particular activity.

I was anxious October 2020 when I went to the beach. I'd always had a cooler of beer at the beach since 1993. Always. Once I was there a couple of days, it was no big deal. Now, I go to meetings in the morning when I'm there. Found a nice meeting spot in Clearwater. Then grab breakfast with the family.

Dinner, horse track, coworker gatherings... no big deal. Everybody knows that I quit drinking. Everybody is cool about it.

I love waking up in the morning on a trip with others bright and cherry while they're bemoaning their hangovers. :)

nice

another question: How did it impact your work/career? I've worked at companies that "partying" be way to core to the culture (which I didn't like) and I know sales can be pretty booze-heavy too.

I was REALLY worried about this. The short answer is that everything at work got better, I got promotions I never thought I’d get and it’s been great!

However, I had it in my head that you had to be able booze it up with people to get to know them, or to “schmooze and sell,” etc.  That isn’t the case at all. And this was a not just me. I know MANY successful sales people a d professionals who are in recovery who all say the same thing…recovery is our super power. Accepting life on life’s terms and admiring when we are at fault and quickly making amends are great tools for business.  Also, not being hung over is a huge benefit! :lol:  Without even trying my productivity exploded, and I was so much more effective.

I get to work social events a little late, and leave early.  I am there to make my colleagues a d customers feel welcome and comfortable, it’s not about me. Once I have done that, I get the hell out.

love it

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
i've heard people say quitting one addiction (like alcohol) just leads to a different addiction. I think typically in the form of cigarettes although that might just be a cliche on TV. Did either of you find yourself becoming addicted or hyperfixated on some other "vice"?
It’s always a risk, but the point of the caution is that we must learn to live and grow without a crutch. I needed to learn to get past uncomfortable times and grow. I didn’t do that for many, many years. My muscles weren’t built up the way they needed to be.

Now, I do drink too much coffee and I tend to eat too many sweets, etc.  But, so do lots of people.  LOL

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Not everyone in recovery has obsessive tendencies, but many do. I do, but mine are pretty manageable for me. I throw myself into new hobbies and stuff all the time, but for me that’s just fun.

Alcohol probably started that way…as just another neat thing I got into. However, over 20 years it got worse and worse. I was probably predisposed at birth, but an alcoholic at 20 or 21. I quit when I was 40.  It was fun for a long, long time. Then, it was fun with problems, and then it was mostly just problems and the good times were far and few between and it was just a way to get through life, no more joy left in it.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
i've heard people say quitting one addiction (like alcohol) just leads to a different addiction. I think typically in the form of cigarettes although that might just be a cliche on TV. Did either of you find yourself becoming addicted or hyperfixated on some other "vice"?
It’s always a risk, but the point of the caution is that we must learn to live and grow without a crutch. I needed to learn to get past uncomfortable times and grow. I didn’t do that for many, many years. My muscles weren’t built up the way they needed to be.

Now, I do drink too much coffee and I tend to eat too many sweets, etc.  But, so do lots of people.  LOL
My fiance thought was was cross addicting to fitness I was riding my bike so much. Um. No, I just feel better and love to ride.

My sponsor and I talk about endorphins a lot. You don't have to chase them with an addiction. You can do something kind. Give your old friend a call. Clean a toilet. Go for a walk in the park. There are so many things out there that make your brain feel better that aren't drinking.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
interesting stuff, thanks gentlemen! And i'm glad to hear that you are both doing well and wish you continued success!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I mean the consequences of drinking coffee or riding a bike too much kind of pale in comparison to drinking too much

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Thanks for sharing, guys.  Congrats to you both!

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Pete, as a guy who knew you all 20 of those years and definitely drank way too much by your side, I am very fulfilled to see your story.  giving me a little inspiration to 2 the 2 legal drink thing, though I do pretty good at calling it quits at 3. 

On the career thing, I can say my industry is very booze heavy but not so much so as it used to be.  The guys who brought me up used to go hard, but not anymore.  Without knowing everything, I think many of them have had their battles so they are not into the judging game.  Now, you may miss on a few clients who like to really get after it at a Chiefs game or out at Pebble Beach but 99% of clients prefer paying a guy who is sharp and on his game at 8:30 am versus one who closed it down until 3. 

As far as interoffice, it is perfectly acceptable to show up after work, plunk down the firm card, have your 2 "legal drinks", buy one last round and dip.  The vast majority of my interoffice drinking was with the old guard when I came up.  Not anymore.  Let the youngest go hard on their own dime.  No one disrespects. 

Again, congrats on your journey all of you cats.

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Thank you for sharing your stories and glad to hear things are great!  I know I've had ups and downs with booze and would love to taper more.  I think if I actually wrote down how much I spend on booze monthly it would make me want to quit more.
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
great thread. maybe my favorite thread.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
i feel very lucky that booze hasn't ever really been an addiction problem for me.  anymore i just prefer a dr. pepper, even though i'm constantly catching crap for it.

happy for those cats who recognized that something was a problem and then did the extremely hard job of fixing it.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
i feel very lucky that booze hasn't ever really been an addiction problem for me.  anymore i just prefer a dr. pepper, even though i'm constantly catching crap for it.

happy for those cats who recognized that something was a problem and then did the extremely hard job of fixing it.

Don't you at least have a diet DDP?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile

Don't you at least have a diet DDP?
DDPs are for home.  When I go out and am feeling fancy, i go for the real deal baby.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
I'm all about the fancy bubbly water these days. The good stuff is hard to find in Kentucky. Topo Chico has to be damn near bootlegged.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
Thank you for sharing your stories and glad to hear things are great!  I know I've had ups and downs with booze and would love to taper more.  I think if I actually wrote down how much I spend on booze monthly it would make me want to quit more.

Yes, very happy to hear of Pete and IPA's positives from their decisions and that is really, really awesome for them, and definitely a place to get to.

I know for me I am in a decline of usage for a bit, I know probably the whole adage "if you think you might have a problem you do" but realistically at least for me I have found a lot, and I mean a lot of my drinking is driven by basically boredom or stress. I have found as long as I realize that I can (usually) stop the urge, and really it's more my body wants something to "do" and even like a pop or something sweet is just as effective as anything else. It's like when I'm at work, I often go through an entire pack of gum if I have it, chew the piece til it loses it's flavor than start again, it's just a tick that tends to work itself out.

I know for me drinking did not start til literally prom night my senior year of HS, and even still throughout most of college I probably drank (though pretty hard when I did) maybe once a week or every other week, it was a pretty small part of my college experience to be honest, sure plenty of fun parties, but really, it was to weekends, and never on back to back days, and often weeks in between. The pick up in it really took off once I got my house and more or less have lived by myself for the last 5 years, and having a few drinks, not nightly, but more often than once a week, because the way to reward myself for getting chores done, or because I didn't have anything better to do, and I felt safe in doing it at home because well, hey, at least I'm not driving right? Obviously the pandemic just made that even more convenient.

That being said, I am starting some therapy soon anyways, not so much for the drinking but because no matter what I have felt fairly miserable and overburdened, and have been for years (I think the first time any medical professional said I was depressed was senior year of college, a decade ago now) I just need to find better ways at being able to manage that, if that means cutting back more on the hot stuff than so be it, but I think finding better ways of coping will help me out with that too. It really has more felt like I have been running from my problems for too long and haven't taken care of myself at all.

I haven't had a drink in about 10 days right now (I know short) and feel great, but also I slept approximately 50 hours over the 4 days off for Thanksgiving, and didn't touch work once, so that also helped a crap ton too.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
good for you on the therapy cfb

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
good for you on the therapy cfb

thanks man, it's been too long coming, and while I'm trying to temper my expectations, and I know it's going to be work, but just actually having something set up has made me the most hopeful for anything in years.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
Glad you're getting help! I saw a therapist for the first year or so after I stopped drinking. In my experience, I got far more from AA than I did at the therapist.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
And that's is totally awesome, and definitely glad that is the path forward. I am very, amazingly happy you are doing something that works for you.

I just think, at least now for me, my issues stem not from booze, as there are other bad habits (and some not as bad, just poor self management/coping) that I just, right now, don't think AA would work (for me).

Booze has been something to cope for sure, and I don't want it to be that, but the root of the problem IMO stems elsewhere. To pull the curtain back and alluded to in my previous post is a lot of pent up issues with work. It's obviously in terms of scale no where close but if you happen to have watched Chernobyl I went through a catastrophic failure (also during at test!, Though obviously and admittedly much smaller, less dangerous, and not as serious of an event) at a site that basically consumed 9 months of my life, and was predated with a further 5 months before that of issues that while didn't directly cause the problem, were very emblematic of the cause of the problem, namely incompetency, lack of understanding, and egos. Chernobyl actually came out during the 9 month rebuild and it struck me (and still does recently rewatching it more recently) just how similar dealing with a crisis it was.

Once again, not as terrible or terrifying, but still traumatic. I was put in a position not unlike the operators, and/or the scientists in that crisis, and it just was beyond stressful and made even worse knowing that the cause of the problem had alarm bells sounded by myself and others trying to make things not be that way, and then it happened. Everyone knew something was going to happen, then it did. It was disheartening, unfair, and frustrating. Make even worse that the main person that was the cause of the problem was allowed to leave, and me and others had to stay and clean up the mess.

Book end that with barely 6 months after returning home from that ordeal you get thrown through the chaos and panic of the pandemic, the reduction workforce and having to cover for all of that, I never really got time to process what I went through, and now I am working on the next plant that is very similar to the one I was out, very much in an attempt to prevent that from happening again, to prove to myself we can learn from our mistakes, but that pressure is building, and that anxiety is ever present.

You may ask, why stay here, why keep suffering in this job? Why keep working? The fact is for me, it would be worse to tuck tail and run, instead of actually doing what is right. It would be far worse at this point to avoid get away from it, than to face it. I want to prove to myself we (and I) can do this right, and not have idiots trash good work. I'll regret it for the rest of my life. Maybe I'm crazy, maybe I'm foolish, but that's where I am hoping to get out of therapy, determining that, and also in general, learning to better deal with stress.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
For reference, we speak what works for ourselves without necessarily telling you what you should do.

We all have to work our own program.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
Awesome, and understand  :)

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
A couple of months ago my buddy’s wife left him and took the kids 1200 miles away because of his drinking. He recently stayed the weekend with me and would begin drinking vodka as soon as he woke up.  My first inclination was to mock him and that had no effect, obviously.  The next day I tired discussing what I could do to help to get his life in order and he insisted he had it under control. Is there anything I can do to help if he doesn’t want it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile

Yes, very happy to hear of Pete and IPA's positives from their decisions and that is really, really awesome for them, and definitely a place to get to.

I know for me I am in a decline of usage for a bit, I know probably the whole adage "if you think you might have a problem you do" but realistically at least for me I have found a lot, and I mean a lot of my drinking is driven by basically boredom or stress. I have found as long as I realize that I can (usually) stop the urge, and really it's more my body wants something to "do" and even like a pop or something sweet is just as effective as anything else. It's like when I'm at work, I often go through an entire pack of gum if I have it, chew the piece til it loses it's flavor than start again, it's just a tick that tends to work itself out.

I know for me drinking did not start til literally prom night my senior year of HS, and even still throughout most of college I probably drank (though pretty hard when I did) maybe once a week or every other week, it was a pretty small part of my college experience to be honest, sure plenty of fun parties, but really, it was to weekends, and never on back to back days, and often weeks in between. The pick up in it really took off once I got my house and more or less have lived by myself for the last 5 years, and having a few drinks, not nightly, but more often than once a week, because the way to reward myself for getting chores done, or because I didn't have anything better to do, and I felt safe in doing it at home because well, hey, at least I'm not driving right? Obviously the pandemic just made that even more convenient.

That being said, I am starting some therapy soon anyways, not so much for the drinking but because no matter what I have felt fairly miserable and overburdened, and have been for years (I think the first time any medical professional said I was depressed was senior year of college, a decade ago now) I just need to find better ways at being able to manage that, if that means cutting back more on the hot stuff than so be it, but I think finding better ways of coping will help me out with that too. It really has more felt like I have been running from my problems for too long and haven't taken care of myself at all.

I haven't had a drink in about 10 days right now (I know short) and feel great, but also I slept approximately 50 hours over the 4 days off for Thanksgiving, and didn't touch work once, so that also helped a crap ton too.
This is spot on for me. I might drink 3 nights a week. I just need to get offline when I do it, because I get more irritable with people who make me irritable on social media and here, but am super social and nice IRL. I hate that all of my good friends have moved away (so I’m bored a lot. Especially working from home full-time) and many of my off nights are my time, when the kid is in bed and the wife doesn’t want to watch sports. So I pour a Svedka, watch sports, and talk about it online. Yeah, I’ve expressed my own mental health on this blog before, but overall, my life is in the best place it’s ever been (due to taking steps with medicine and counseling every now and then). I’ll calm down my crap posting, but overall, I’m a very happy, positive person, who likes to PAK when my teams play. Sorry, I thought I had to explain this for Mich, since he’s expressed many times I have a problem and I’m sure it comes off that way. Either way, I’m proud of everyone on here taking steps and for those people supporting them as well. Go cats!

PS- I should have taken Clams advice early on and never visited the pit in the offseason years ago.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice

A couple of months ago my buddy’s wife left him and took the kids 1200 miles away because of his drinking. He recently stayed the weekend with me and would begin drinking vodka as soon as he woke up.  My first inclination was to mock him and that had no effect, obviously.  The next day I tired discussing what I could do to help to get his life in order and he insisted he had it under control. Is there anything I can do to help if he doesn’t want it?

Unfortunately, not much until he is ready.  Step 1 is admitting you have a problem. If he doesn't think he has one, then all you can do is encourage him. If he thinks he might be but is unsure, here's a little quiz.

https://www.aa.org/pages/en_us/is-aa-for-you-twelve-questions-only-you-can-answer

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

This is the oldest problem there is, related to any kind of addiction, and heck, with any kind of mental health.  In my experience, the most effective way to help them is to let them know that there are options available for help.

I can vividly remember times when different people tried to communicate to me that I had a problem over the years...those moments made a difference.  It didn't affect change in me immediately, but it did plant a seed, and over time that grew.