Author Topic: ReCATery (aka Sober Cats,800BETSOFF Cats,Like Chocoholics but for BoozeCats,etc)  (Read 9008 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
this is recovery related so it seems like the best thread for this...I have a family member who we all think is chemically imbalanced, making them act very irrational, paranoid, and deceitful, and they now seem to be medicating through booze and marijuana. I know this person has been prescribed medication for mental health in the past, which helped, but has since stopped.

the opinion of most people close to them is they need psychiatric help now, but this person denies any problem we're all worried how they will react to the idea of it. Are there any good resources out there for how to approach getting someone help? (for mental health or substance abuse or otherwise)

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
If they aren’t actively psychotic, homicidal or suicidal, it is hard to compel them to get treatment. Would they make an appointment with a physician to talk about general medical issues (eg pain) that are adjacent to their mental health issues? Can be hard to get help when someone doesn’t acknowledge they have a problem. Hope your loved one is able to get to a healthier place.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I don’t know crap about crap, I’m pretty life dumb and I’m pakd rn. But imo sounds like their ego is very strong about not having a problem.  Like being even semi confrontational is definitely going to make them double down. So what sandstone said would most likely happen. Would have to slowly ease them into convincing them they’re making a bad decision. Maybe stuff like “I could be wrong but you’re really not acting like your old self”. They have to realize themselves there’s a problem

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
this is recovery related so it seems like the best thread for this...I have a family member who we all think is chemically imbalanced, making them act very irrational, paranoid, and deceitful, and they now seem to be medicating through booze and marijuana. I know this person has been prescribed medication for mental health in the past, which helped, but has since stopped.

the opinion of most people close to them is they need psychiatric help now, but this person denies any problem we're all worried how they will react to the idea of it. Are there any good resources out there for how to approach getting someone help? (for mental health or substance abuse or otherwise)

There isn't a person associated to your friend that could talk about the benefits they've received from seeing psychiatrist?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile

I reacted pretty poorly the first time someone (my dad and mom) suggested I had a problem.  About 10 years later I was required to go to a counselor and therapy etc.  Then, about 3 after that I quit drinking and started therapy and a recovery program and junk.

So, I think planting those seeds is a good idea, but would temper your expectations about how quickly it will grow.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

There isn't a person associated to your friend that could talk about the benefits they've received from seeing psychiatrist?

there are, but this person has been fighting with family and not really listening to people.

I think seeds have been planted? My wife thinks an "intervention" is needed but I don't think that will work too well.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
Moving to Louisiana pine country next weekend. There are five meetings all week in the entire county. This makes me nervous. Not every meeting is a fit for everybody. I loathe online meetings. My alcoholic brain is in a tizzy. I won't drink over it but it is making me restless.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
Moving to Louisiana pine country next weekend. There are five meetings all week in the entire county. This makes me nervous. Not every meeting is a fit for everybody. I loathe online meetings. My alcoholic brain is in a tizzy. I won't drink over it but it is making me restless.

Stay strong and healthy.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Do you have a good sponsor from your current location? Regular Phone calls checking in can be helpful from what I have seen, both for the sponsor and the other person in recovery.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Why are you moving? I thought you had a decent amount of land in Kentucky?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I changed groups last year, due to a lot of changes in my prior group that I had no control over. I was used to my cadre of old timers that cheered me up. I had to change my mindset to be that I go to the new meetings to add something for others and not to get anything out of it.  Actually ends up being even better that way (most of the time) for me….I end up getting even more out of it.  That mindset change was a big deal for me.

Volunteer to lead one, or to add a meeting to the existing place’s current list of meetings.

Lastly, ask around about “where are good meetings” and if it means that you need to drive one county over once a week, whatever. Get some shopping done or grab a bite to eat after it and make it an outing once week to mix it up.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice

Do you have a good sponsor from your current location? Regular Phone calls checking in can be helpful from what I have seen, both for the sponsor and the other person in recovery.

I do. Unfortunately he's stage four lung cancer and pretty damn weak these days. I do have friends in the program that I can call if I get too spun.

Why are you moving? I thought you had a decent amount of land in Kentucky?

Liquidated. Moving to Louisiana to care for my parents.

I changed groups last year, due to a lot of changes in my prior group that I had no control over. I was used to my cadre of old timers that cheered me up. I had to change my mindset to be that I go to the new meetings to add something for others and not to get anything out of it.  Actually ends up being even better that way (most of the time) for me….I end up getting even more out of it.  That mindset change was a big deal for me.

Volunteer to lead one, or to add a meeting to the existing place’s current list of meetings.

Lastly, ask around about “where are good meetings” and if it means that you need to drive one county over once a week, whatever. Get some shopping done or grab a bite to eat after it and make it an outing once week to mix it up.

My sponsor suggested starting a meeting if I didn't find one that works for me. I'm a morning person. Every meeting in the county is at lunch or 8p. So there is opportunity to fill a need for others and myself. I like the mindset rewire and traveling idea.

Thanks gang. Putting things out there always helps, too!

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I think you will be fine, IPA.

Also, somewhat like what IPA said, next summer (and hopefully every summer thereafter) I am spending several months in rural northern Minnesota and there are not a ton of meetings. My current group in Joco has probably double the meetings than the entire county in MN has in a week.

I visit up there frequently, and have checked out different groups and have a plan on how to stay active. A couple I will hit just because they are close and convenient, and there is one about 45 minutes away that is really big and a great community and I plan to hit that one on a weekend morning regularly each week.  I will  shoot for 2-3 per week, with the weekended being the “can’t miss” and the others being some I work in and try out new ones and stuff during the week in the evenings.

At this point for me the “not drinking” is way easier than it was in the early years.  For me it’s so much more about staying spiritually fit, being loving and tolerant in my conduct with others, and letting go of resentments. Man, I just want to be reasonably happy in this life, and not-drinking and actively working a behavior modification program is the key for me.  But yeah, above all, I need to not drink.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
IPA, I’d get an additional sponsor or two. It’s not “cheating on them” to ask another.  Always key to have a local sponsor as well.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Also, somewhat like what IPA said, next summer (and hopefully every summer thereafter) I am spending several months in rural northern Minnesota and there are not a ton of meetings. My current group in Joco has probably double the meetings than the entire county in MN has in a week.

I visit up there frequently, and have checked out different groups and have a plan on how to stay active. A couple I will hit just because they are close and convenient, and there is one about 45 minutes away that is really big and a great community and I plan to hit that one on a weekend morning regularly each week.  I will  shoot for 2-3 per week, with the weekended being the “can’t miss” and the others being some I work in and try out new ones and stuff during the week in the evenings.

At this point for me the “not drinking” is way easier than it was in the early years.  For me it’s so much more about staying spiritually fit, being loving and tolerant in my conduct with others, and letting go of resentments. Man, I just want to be reasonably happy in this life, and not-drinking and actively working a behavior modification program is the key for me.  But yeah, above all, I need to not drink.

Let's do lunch!

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Let's do lunch!
You moved?!?! Or just a summer gig? Where will you be?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Let's do lunch!

I'm now here every May-September, Brainerd Lakes Region

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Let's do lunch!

Holy crap, I’m right between Backus and Hackensack. I will give you a shout!

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
You guys are making those town/lake names up. Can’t be real.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
You guys are making those town/lake names up. Can’t be real.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those are very upper Midwest names and I imagine them being pronounced with a Fargo accent.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Let's do lunch!

Holy crap, I’m right between Backus and Hackensack. I will give you a shout!

Meet in Pine River! Have you had A-Pine in Jenkins? It's aight but definitely overrated.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
To continue the meds discussion, how does one go about getting back on an anti-depressant prescription? I don't have a regular doctor or anything. In the past I've had family friends available to write the script, but that's not an option now. The last time I went through Lafene when I was in school 7 years ago or so. This particular med was the first of probably 6 prior that I felt did anything beyond noticeable side effects. I was broke at the time and it was something like $250 a month without insurance so I stopped after 4 months or so. I'd like to give it a try again now that I have insurance and am not broke.

I would suggest scheduling a regular health checkup with a general practitioner and mentioning all of this in detail. They may write you a prescription or refer you to a psychiatrist.

Psychotherapy may also be an option but I've found it's really difficult to find in-network therapists these days. May be different in KC.

My wife had really good luck with betterhelp.com doing virtual therapy. Out of network but relatively cheap and she likes it more than in-person therapists she's met with.

Well, it's two years later but today I had my first primary care appointment since I was in high school and got a script for the meds I wanted. Never give up on your goals.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
To continue the meds discussion, how does one go about getting back on an anti-depressant prescription? I don't have a regular doctor or anything. In the past I've had family friends available to write the script, but that's not an option now. The last time I went through Lafene when I was in school 7 years ago or so. This particular med was the first of probably 6 prior that I felt did anything beyond noticeable side effects. I was broke at the time and it was something like $250 a month without insurance so I stopped after 4 months or so. I'd like to give it a try again now that I have insurance and am not broke.

I would suggest scheduling a regular health checkup with a general practitioner and mentioning all of this in detail. They may write you a prescription or refer you to a psychiatrist.

Psychotherapy may also be an option but I've found it's really difficult to find in-network therapists these days. May be different in KC.

My wife had really good luck with betterhelp.com doing virtual therapy. Out of network but relatively cheap and she likes it more than in-person therapists she's met with.

Well, it's two years later but today I had my first primary care appointment since I was in high school and got a script for the meds I wanted. Never give up on your goals.
Eye of the tiger

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Nice. Also better help eventually sucked and it was revealed as pretty problematic

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
Was his official name Dr. Drug Peddler or Dr. I Get Paid to Peddle This crap; anyway if you got insurance, money, or preferably both.  I got Hyper-ttension from one of these SOBs about 25 years ago.  Pro Tip:  Get on a drug site or just check if a Dr. on Utube has info. on your newly prescribed drug.  There's a lot of crap the Dr. or pharmacist doesn't tell you, because drugs=money.   
Hot time in Kat town tonight.