Author Topic: ‘Twas the Night before Trumpmas...  (Read 6077 times)

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
Re: ‘Twas the Night before Trumpmas...
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2018, 09:20:23 AM »
The ACA makes men pay for coverage for mamograms and breast pumps, and that was found to be okay, ftr.
Last time I read it, Article 1 of the U.S. Constitution gives Congress the power to tax and spend for the general welfare? It's specifically enumerated, bub.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

GMAFB, now you're just being lazy
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2018, 09:25:38 AM »
Bill/Sean.

in other words, normal and good.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2018, 09:46:16 AM »
Bill/Sean.

in other words, normal and good.

You, the Snyders and now these SCOTUS people are all seat thieves in a way.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2018, 09:49:49 AM »
:lol: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-07-10/pop-protests-erupt-after-trump-picks-kavanaugh-supreme-court

Is that weird? I mean, they already had a list of candidates Trump was going to pick from specifically because they matched his ideology. Stands to reason they’d be opposed to multiple candidates.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2018, 09:50:42 AM »
That said, it’s clearly another solid pick. 20 years from now I sincerely hope the only thing Trump is remembered for is his SCOTUS picks.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2018, 10:42:40 AM »
Sharia Law coming, sorry guys (per the Hollywood Left).

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2018, 12:33:12 PM »
spracne, you appear to be basing your 14th argument on equal protection.  could there also be an argument in life/liberty?  it would seem to me that there could be and that it would be a pretty direct argument, but i dunno.

There are two clauses in the 14th Amendment where all the action happens: due process and equal protection.

Due process encompasses both procedural due process and so-called substantive due process. The conservatives in this thread are skeptical about substantive due process because it is sort of a nebulous concept from which "new" liberty interests are recognized. Under the 14th Amendment, "liberty" is due process, and "equality" is equal protection. Because of the skepticism surrounding substantive due process, I was making a case solely under the Equal Protection Clause, because that clause is less controversial. But the reality is that the court applies a hybrid approach, incorporating elements of both. You can see this in the gay rights cases and in the abortion cases. I can sympathize with the dissenters ITT because it is a little bit of slight of hand that the court engages in. But I have accepted the fact that the machinery of democracy occasionally fails to work for marginalized groups, and while the Supreme Court is reluctant to use its extraordinary powers in this fashion, if the elected branches of government fail to act for a few decades, eventually the Court will engage in a bit of legal fiction in order to do what must be done. Yes, it's very undemocratic. But pure democracy is not a happy state of affairs.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2018, 12:41:52 PM »
thanks, that makes sense.  i can appreciate following the tradition of thought, but logically the argument that the state is depriving a woman or life (mortality risk) and liberty (just straight up liberty) by denying her access to a medical procedure is pretty straightforward.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2018, 01:12:40 PM »
Always glad to see LibBots meltdown over something that isn't going to change.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2022, 11:01:01 PM »
why does anyone even bother with the pretense that the Supreme Court is anything other than political power being executed?

It feels better and more closely matches the checks and balances stuff that children are taught.

:lol: :frown: