Author Topic: Non-Political Market/Economy/Finance/etc. Thread  (Read 17800 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: Non-Political Market/Economy/Finance/etc. Thread
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2022, 02:32:15 PM »
Also, never take steve dave's advice when it comes to crypto.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Non-Political Market/Economy/Finance/etc. Thread
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2022, 02:35:49 PM »
Agree with Pete. Everyone has their own thing. I was obsessed with understanding tax advantaged accounts but don’t care at all about picking the right investments. Some people are the opposite, and some are into other kinks like crypto or real estate.

All that is to say, if you just want to sit back and grow your money, then I wouldn’t mess around with guessing and go with whatever low fee S&P 500 fund is available through your broker.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2022, 03:01:30 PM »
So what do you guys read/how do you collect info and read up on stuff other than just having a knowledge of the markets and what not?  I only hold about 3 positions in a Roth IRA.  I have my retirement index funds thing.  But how do y'all get knowledge and stuff?  I'd like stuff to read as part of my daily routine.  Like, right now, I make coffee, let my breakfast cook, get on the various sports sites and boards, check the lines on a few of my books, maybe read some local news...what can I throw in there to make bank and get bitches?

as you get older you'll find yourself with different interests and desires. part of that for me was caring less about sports and more about things like finding new and exciting ways to lose money. It's a real rush to see one of your positions rip 20% in a day bringing your total return to -50%. You can't replicate that with drugs or sex or sports or consistent 7% long term returns.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2022, 03:23:13 PM »
So what do you guys read/how do you collect info and read up on stuff other than just having a knowledge of the markets and what not?  I only hold about 3 positions in a Roth IRA.  I have my retirement index funds thing.  But how do y'all get knowledge and stuff?  I'd like stuff to read as part of my daily routine.  Like, right now, I make coffee, let my breakfast cook, get on the various sports sites and boards, check the lines on a few of my books, maybe read some local news...what can I throw in there to make bank and get bitches?

as you get older you'll find yourself with different interests and desires. part of that for me was caring less about sports and more about things like finding new and exciting ways to lose money. It's a real rush to see one of your positions rip 20% in a day bringing your total return to -50%. You can't replicate that with drugs or sex or sports or consistent 7% long term returns.

The FB/AMZN rollercoaster ride was a wild one.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2022, 05:27:02 PM »
I think two great books to read to find out if you are interested in this stuff are:

1) Morgan Housel’s excellent “Psychology of Money”
2) “How I invest my money” by Josh Brown and Brian Portnoy

There are a number of podcasts I listen to about Econ/the markets and you can watch CNBC for fun, but those two books will let you know if you want to know more or not.

I also pay a pretty exorbitant amount for a subscription to the financial times which is a newspaper that I think is one of the best in the world, talks to you like an adult and really clearly clues you in to what people that move markets think. I would get a subscription to that or the WSJ and if you like those then you are on your way. You will develop a general sense of ideas about macroeconomic trends, and then you will have some convictions and try to put them
In to practice with money.

Or you could just try to hop on Reddit/wsb and try to figure out what the hell people there are doing and ride a wave (this will not work well).

Or the simplest (and probably best advice) is just buy a few stocks of things you know. For most people this will skew heavily to consumer goods and tech, but guess what that is most of our economy. If you have any notions about players in your field, you can express a view by buying their stock or trying to figure out some emerging trend.

I look at it as a hobby and a mostly fulfilling one that has made me money (above s&p) 2/3 years I’ve done it. I don’t know if I will always do it, but for now it is fun.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2022, 09:10:31 PM »
good post kk. and also good post from pete before.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2022, 09:16:49 PM »
also lester, if you come in good faith for advice to this message board I swear you'll get better responses back in good faith and with good information than you'd get almost anywhere on the planet. this is irl a finely curated group of good, smart AF, successful people that somehow came out of KSU roots. hit up the investing thread and I'll teach you how to lose money like the best. that is my personal commitment to you.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2022, 09:31:01 PM »
I also pay a pretty exorbitant amount for a subscription to the financial times which is a newspaper that I think is one of the best in the world, talks to you like an adult and really clearly clues you in to what people that move markets think. I would get a subscription to that or the WSJ.

dunno if it will help anyone make money, but i 2nd the eff out of this.  ft is the best newspaper in the world.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2022, 10:46:44 PM »
Fortean Times is legit.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Non-Political Market/Economy/Finance/etc. Thread
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2022, 11:59:20 PM »
Lester, please don’t feel like you have to engage in any way with the shitty FT like these rubes. You can, but it’s just to make yourself feel like a big shot. Which is obviously effective.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 12:02:43 AM by steve dave »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2022, 07:42:54 AM »
FT is $69/month??? Invest that instead!!!

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2022, 09:41:24 AM »
My strategy has been to use the money I saved not subscribing to FT and spend it on booze that I use to ride out the lows of the S&P 500.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2022, 11:36:15 AM »
FT is $69/month??? Invest that instead!!!
I get a discount.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2022, 11:57:42 AM »
Post your login info coward!

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2022, 09:00:53 AM »
Is 7.5% inflation good?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2022, 11:50:17 AM »

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2022, 12:53:33 PM »
The Fed is so far behind the curve. They should have started increasing in quarter point increments two meetings ago and at the very least, raised the fed funds rate 25 points last meeting. Now we have to wait until the middle of March before they do anything

The CME Fed Watch tool is saying a 98.4% chance of a 50 point hike. I hope the FOMC is able to admit they were wrong and tries to get ahead of inflation with a 50 point increase. I worry that they have a strong incrementalist desire, though, and will only do a 25 point hike.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2022, 03:59:06 PM »
Is 7.5% inflation good?
"Somebody is always winning, somebody is always losing."

-me
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2022, 04:04:16 PM »
also lester, if you come in good faith for advice to this message board I swear you'll get better responses back in good faith and with good information than you'd get almost anywhere on the planet. this is irl a finely curated group of good, smart AF, successful people that somehow came out of KSU roots. hit up the investing thread and I'll teach you how to lose money like the best. that is my personal commitment to you.

This is so true. I mean, most of us act like a bunch of dumbasses and joke 99% of the time, but I get and have hopefully given some pretty good advice on a variety of topics. I prob wouldn't have predicted this back when I passed out at KJs.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2022, 06:25:02 PM »
The Fed is so far behind the curve. They should have started increasing in quarter point increments two meetings ago and at the very least, raised the fed funds rate 25 points last meeting. Now we have to wait until the middle of March before they do anything

The CME Fed Watch tool is saying a 98.4% chance of a 50 point hike. I hope the FOMC is able to admit they were wrong and tries to get ahead of inflation with a 50 point increase. I worry that they have a strong incrementalist desire, though, and will only do a 25 point hike.

Do you think that they should have started tapering the asset purchases earlier?  The part that is confusing to me as someone that is not an expert is why they are trying to raise rates 50 points before they even slowed the asset purchases.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2022, 06:43:57 PM »
Is 7.5% inflation good?
"Somebody is always winning, somebody is always losing."

-me

lol.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2022, 07:24:03 PM »
Steve Dave what’s going to happen when the fed does whatever people are worried they will do.  Also how do I profit from it.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2022, 07:51:23 PM »
Steve Dave what’s going to happen when the fed does whatever people are worried they will do.  Also how do I profit from it.
It’s all smoke and mirrors. Gives people something to talk about.

But if you want to OT talk investing thread the NAS and S&P both have real gnarly head and shoulders charts going on. (if you talk to technical chart dorkstores that is not good).

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile