Author Topic: What coach with any hope of a career would actually take the job at OU  (Read 1876 times)

Offline muqluk

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Given their situation - all current factors - just how high a risk of career suicide would it be to take the OU job?

Moving to the SEC with transfers and decommits and two-timing recruiting going on and all that.

They’ll get someone, with enough money thrown at them - but the odds of it being a ‘home run hire’ are astronomical. Anybody good enough has better options already even if for slightly less money. Anybody willing to walk down that back alley murderers row knows he won’t be there for more than a couple of years and is simply a mirror of the KU coaching situation over the last 10 years

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: What coach with any hope of a career would actually take the job at OU
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 05:37:14 PM »
sir this is a wendys
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline muqluk

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2021, 08:06:16 PM »
Clearly its Kliff Kingsbury.  He has an eye for talent and a proven track record of success.  I wish our sooner brothers all the fortune in the world with this no-brainier hire

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2021, 09:32:13 PM »
OU's AD Joe Castiglione is one of the best and football means as much to OU as it does anywhere.  Mark Stoops seems like the logical guy but he just signed an extension. 

Jeff Traylor at UTSA  is super connected as a former Tx HS coach and OU has clearly been easiest place to win at vs UT & ATM, i could see OU hiring him to try refocus on the elite Texas recruits that have been going SEC or to Ohio State.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2021, 08:06:45 AM »
Sean is ready

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2021, 08:13:04 AM »
A coach that has roughly 10 years left coaching doesn't care about suicide. They're looking at retirement in 8-10 years. So, they're probably making less than 3-5 mill a year currently, could get a close to $30 million guaranteed to coach there for 2-3 years (2-3 years salary and the buyout when fired) and retire w/ the same amount they would've had for coaching 8-10 more years.

I am 35, and I will do it and commit career suicide for $25 million.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2021, 08:24:21 AM »
A coach that has roughly 10 years left coaching doesn't care about suicide. They're looking at retirement in 8-10 years. So, they're probably making less than 3-5 mill a year currently, could get a close to $30 million guaranteed to coach there for 2-3 years (2-3 years salary and the buyout when fired) and retire w/ the same amount they would've had for coaching 8-10 more years.

I'd probably do it for $1M.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2021, 08:30:39 AM »

I'd probably do it for $1M.

Yes, if they want to buy me out right now for $1 million to not coach a game, I will commit the career suicide.

Is the job listing on Indeed?

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2021, 08:40:25 AM »
OU's AD Joe Castiglione is one of the best and football means as much to OU as it does anywhere.  Mark Stoops seems like the logical guy but he just signed an extension. 

Jeff Traylor at UTSA  is super connected as a former Tx HS coach and OU has clearly been easiest place to win at vs UT & ATM, i could see OU hiring him to try refocus on the elite Texas recruits that have been going SEC or to Ohio State.

Imagine watching UT fans lose their minds as Traylor leaves the state for their hated rival while they're stuck with Sark who's going to miss a bowl game next year.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2021, 08:58:09 AM »
they should try and keep Stoops for a couple years while he grooms the next Lincoln Riley type. 

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2021, 06:44:25 PM »
they should try and keep Stoops for a couple years while he grooms the next Lincoln Riley type.

They tried that at Texas around ten ago with Mack losing his OCs' and DCs' for head coaching jobs other than Texas.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2021, 04:53:31 PM »

They tried that at Texas around ten ago with Mack losing his OCs' and DCs' for head coaching jobs other than Texas.
Honestly probably would’ve gone about the same I mean will Muschamp?