Author Topic: Which school are we?  (Read 1413 times)

Online Duncan

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Which school are we?
« on: June 10, 2010, 12:27:07 AM »
The beginning of the end was when Arkansas announced it would leave for the Southeastern Conference in 1990. The death blow came in 1993 when Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and Baylor accepted invitations to join with the members of the Big Eight Conference to form the Big 12 Conference. Soon afterward, SMU, TCU and Rice accepted invitations to join the Western Athletic Conference, while Houston joined Conference USA. In May 1996, after the completions of championship matches in baseball and track & field, the Southwest Conference was officially dissolved.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Which school are we?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 12:45:41 AM »
Baylor

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 12:46:51 AM »
Baylor

Baylor landed in a power conference for political reasons. I don't see this happening to us, as we are not tied to KU (and nobody wants KU).

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 12:48:04 AM »
I think the best parallel is SMU. They rose to great heights once, only to fall. We didn't cheat as much (or succeed as much) as them, though.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 12:50:15 AM »
I think the best parallel is SMU. They rose to great heights once, only to fall. We didn't cheat as much (or succeed as much) as them, though.
  Agreed...we are a lesser SMU sans death penalty.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 08:01:34 AM »
Does anybody else kind of think this is all karma for us poaching the SWC?  I mean I was basically 11 at the time so I didn't pay that much attention/don't remember exactly how that went down.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 08:16:45 AM »
I don't think we poached it so much as saved it once it had become a more or less Texas-only conference.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."