Author Topic: Would we still be able to be competitive financially in the MWC...  (Read 2394 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
If we dropped all non-revenue sports, only keeping our 2 cheapest women's sports to be Title IX compliant?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Would we still be able to be competitive financially in the MWC...
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 11:39:06 PM »
If we dropped all non-revenue sports, only keeping our 2 cheapest women's sports to be Title IX compliant?

Do conferences have a minimum number of sports?  I read somewhere that Boise State had too few to meet Big 12 standards.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 11:45:49 PM »

Do conferences have a minimum number of sports?  I read somewhere that Boise State had too few to meet Big 12 standards.

Do you really think that the Mountain West will have this requirement? If it does, we could always just start our own conference without that crap.

Offline blackknight

• Fan
  • Hi I'm Earth, have we met?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 11:54:35 PM »
guessing women's tennis and rowing will get cut along with several track schollies to make up for things, the biggest financial malefactor will be manhattan businesses from the lack of people coming to non-elite football/basketball games and from the lack of branding on national tv will come a substantial decrease in the enrollment slowly crushing manhappening to manhating.  :frown:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 11:59:38 PM »
guessing women's tennis and rowing will get cut along with several track schollies to make up for things, the biggest financial malefactor will be manhattan businesses from the lack of people coming to non-elite football/basketball games and from the lack of branding on national tv will come a substantial decrease in the enrollment slowly crushing manhappening to manhating.  :frown:

If the MWC can get BCS status, I don't anticipate a drop in fan support that cannot be overcome. We just need to find a way to compete within the MWC (currently we are about the 5th best football program if they add BSU).

Offline MadCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 11:59:50 PM »

Do you really think that the Mountain West will have this requirement?
Not really, if they are ready to invite Boise.

Offline MadCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 12:01:00 AM »
The biggest financial drain for most athletic departments is baseball, FWIW.

Offline blackknight

• Fan
  • Hi I'm Earth, have we met?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 12:06:35 AM »
that may be, but with the somewhat recently improved baseball stadium and entire team it's highly doubtful the baseball team would be disposed. at the same time i have no idea the state of mwc baseball and the level of competition within. really hoping this won't affect baseball because it's my fav  :runaway:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 12:09:28 AM »
that may be, but with the somewhat recently improved baseball stadium and entire team it's highly doubtful the baseball team would be disposed. at the same time i have no idea the state of mwc baseball and the level of competition within. really hoping this won't affect baseball because it's my fav  :runaway:

Being a midmajor should have little to no effect on baseball success.

Offline DOOMsday

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 01:13:55 AM »
any chance this whole NBAF thing adds revenue?  I mean if the projections are correct and MHK really does become Topeka-sized, that would have to add market value.

The42Yardstick

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 04:36:20 AM »

TCU is really, really good. Other than that, the league is kinda meh.

Offline kcchiefdav

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 06:45:46 AM »
any chance this whole NBAF thing adds revenue?  I mean if the projections are correct and MHK really does become Topeka-sized, that would have to add market value.

The only thing that would come from being Topeka-sized is an improvement in the local meth quality.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 06:51:15 AM »

The only thing that would come from being Topeka-sized is an improvement in the local meth quality.
I think the local meth quality is probably up to par, but I do think that it would boost attendance. The problem with that, is even if the prediction is true, it will be 15+ years before Manhattan has grown to that size. Tack on another 5+ years for "new" locals to really start to like KSU and it's all way too far away for it to matter much.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.