Author Topic: How much are we going to pay our players?  (Read 32859 times)

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: How much are we going to pay our players?
« Reply #277 on: July 29, 2022, 05:47:00 PM »
[tweet]1553008797899259904[/tweet][/font]

Offline BBF$$Kat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 29, 2022, 09:39:56 PM »
Are these NIL deals this group us working only going for a certain sect of the team?  :bwpopcorn:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 29, 2022, 10:18:05 PM »
Are these NIL deals this group us working only going for a certain sect of the team?  :bwpopcorn:

Basepath isn't a NIL deal the way you're thinking about and I don't know why on3 are presenting it that way. It's a software company that helps student athletes manage NIL deals.

Offline BBF$$Kat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 29, 2022, 10:44:49 PM »

Basepath isn't a NIL deal the way you're thinking about and I don't know why on3 are presenting it that way. It's a software company that helps student athletes manage NIL deals.
So why the quote or connection to our NIL group for facilitating it?
Also it just seems odd those that it is targeting? Maybe that is what your reference was too in not what I think it is.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 29, 2022, 11:10:54 PM »

Also it just seems odd those that it is targeting? Maybe that is what your reference was too in not what I think it is.

That's why I said I don't know why on3 presented it that way, but if you go to the Basepath website, it's pretty obvious. Maybe they are signing athletes to use their service for free in hopes that others will pay for it later on. I'm guessing they'll get paid by taking a small percentage of the NIL deals that athletes use their service for.

Offline BBF$$Kat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 29, 2022, 11:20:31 PM »

That's why I said I don't know why on3 presented it that way, but if you go to the Basepath website, it's pretty obvious. Maybe they are signing athletes to use their service for free in hopes that others will pay for it later on. I'm guessing they'll get paid by taking a small percentage of the NIL deals that athletes use their service for.

I gotcha.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 31, 2022, 12:50:42 PM »
More philanthropists more wins (MPMW)?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: August 09, 2022, 09:54:05 PM »
They said on the news tonight that SMU has a group of boosters that are going to make sure every football and basketball player has at a minimum a $36k NIL deal.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 09, 2022, 10:03:11 PM »
I think paying the team equal amounts per season will be the norm.  Miami, TTU, and now SMU are doing it.  It's wild that a school that is in a low paying G5 conference can afford to pay their team.  This means most schools should be able to put up something equal to this.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline WildcatNation

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 10, 2022, 08:57:13 AM »
I think paying the team equal amounts per season will be the norm.  Miami, TTU, and now SMU are doing it.  It's wild that a school that is in a low paying G5 conference can afford to pay their team.  This means most schools should be able to put up something equal to this.

The school isn't paying the team, that would be a blatant NCAA violation. It is a group of boosters and SMU boosters are extremely well off.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 10, 2022, 09:13:03 AM »
It is a blatant NCAA violation for boosters to be paying the players.  Anyway, the big 10 is talking about paying their athletes in the near future.  The point is players are being paid as a group instead of individually and may become the norm.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 10, 2022, 10:38:35 AM »
It's not an either/or proposition. Players being paid by a collective still very much can and do seek ways to be paid as individuals, whether that's being an endorser, working camps, signing autographs, agreeing to a book deal, giving private lessons, etc

Offline WildcatNation

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 10, 2022, 10:48:28 AM »
It is a blatant NCAA violation for boosters to be paying the players.  Anyway, the big 10 is talking about paying their athletes in the near future.  The point is players are being paid as a group instead of individually and may become the norm.

Except it’s not. They just have to provide some type of service to the group. A school cannot do that.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 10, 2022, 12:36:27 PM »

Except it’s not. They just have to provide some type of service to the group. A school cannot do that.

NCAA is in the process of enforcing the boosters to not interfere with NIL deals.  They just need to find out what enforcement options they have that will comply with schools leadership that runs the NCAA. 

Offline WildcatNation

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 10, 2022, 06:15:46 PM »

NCAA is in the process of enforcing the boosters to not interfere with NIL deals.  They just need to find out what enforcement options they have that will comply with schools leadership that runs the NCAA.

They’ll have an extremely tough time enforcing that. Any booster can just create a group and call it a “collective” where they can funnel money through for NIL. I don’t think the NCAA will ever really enforce any of it either for fear of more lawsuits.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 10, 2022, 06:23:11 PM »

They’ll have an extremely tough time enforcing that. Any booster can just create a group and call it a “collective” where they can funnel money through for NIL. I don’t think the NCAA will ever really enforce any of it either for fear of more lawsuits.

Thanks for that answer.  Now tell me what the NCAA can do to a school in a conference(big 10) that allows players to be paid, as in a stipend.  Right now KSU can pay up $5,000.00 to athletics that are in need.  I don't know what the limit is per school as determined by the NCAA.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 10, 2022, 07:00:15 PM »

Thanks for that answer.  Now tell me what the NCAA can do to a school in a conference(big 10) that allows players to be paid, as in a stipend.  Right now KSU can pay up $5,000.00 to athletics that are in need.  I don't know what the limit is per school as determined by the NCAA.

Schools can and do already do pay stipends. What you're referring to, what's being mentioned by some in Big 10 circles, is revenue sharing, which is a salary, not a stipend. For that to happen either the NCAA will have to eliminate amateurism for all sports or the Big 10 would have to leave the NCAA. I'm not certain that having another entity run college football only would satisfy what's needed. Of course the Supreme Court could abolish title IX and schools and conferences can do whatever the hell they want to.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 10, 2022, 07:42:04 PM »

Schools can and do already do pay stipends. What you're referring to, what's being mentioned by some in Big 10 circles, is revenue sharing, which is a salary, not a stipend. For that to happen either the NCAA will have to eliminate amateurism for all sports or the Big 10 would have to leave the NCAA. I'm not certain that having another entity run college football only would satisfy what's needed. Of course the Supreme Court could abolish title IX and schools and conferences can do whatever the hell they want to.

Something needs to change, with the loss of control from the NCAA and schools doing as they please.  I do believe the big 10 will word it correctly to avoid their schools being classified as an employer.  It may just be an increased stipend, as I don't know if that is limited by the government.  I know one thing, if the big 10 does it then other conferences will follow.

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 15, 2022, 01:15:40 PM »
https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1559227004607676421?s=20&t=qp-wFbQvfB_LfTf0PAfqcw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LSU QB walks away, keeps money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile