Author Topic: The K-State HC Job  (Read 1915 times)

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The K-State HC Job
« on: March 29, 2021, 12:19:40 PM »
Discussing the Texas HC opening, and a random mention of Michigan moving to 6th place in Elite 8 appearances got me thinking.

I know there's a significant amount of other factors like current state of the program, facilities, etc.... but from a historical perspective, K-State ranks up there.

20th in NCAA tourney Bids (4th in B12)
14th in Sweet 16's (2nd in B12)
10th in Elite 8's (2nd in B12)
22nd in Final 4's (4th in B12, 1 appearance from 15th Nationally and 3rd in B12)
3rd in B12 in Dr. Peppers. (I included every current school in every conference they've played in)

Would love to be able to renovate Bramlage soon, or at least announce the plans. But either way, it will be a damn good job opening soon, maybe very soon.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The K-State HC Job
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 01:23:08 PM »
I really don't think none of the tradition stuff matters much, no one knows about it anyway. Almost every college basketball coach we would hire this year or later will almost certainly be under 50 years old. The general knowledge of K-State basketball starts at Frank Martin. Our job is okay and will be okay. We have a great fan base and that's something that a candidate will see and care about, but we don't spend a lot compared to our peers in conference and in the power 6 conferences. Actually if it weren't for our fan base and newly built practice facility, this would be a bottom tier job. For college basketball there are great jobs, bad jobs and everyone is in the middle. I don't think there is a bad job in the conference. TCU is the worst but they somehow make and spend more money on men's basketball than we do. In fact, last year they spent more on basketball than they make. If you believe their reporting data they spent $15 million on men's basketball, which is the most in the conference, and they made $14 million on men's basketball revenue which was the 3rd most. KU is clearly a great job, and if Beard stays at Tech for like 5 more years, they will be too.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 02:37:48 PM »
curious how we'd rank if you only count the last 15 years

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 03:13:05 PM »

I won't do nationally, but:

Big 12
4th in Tourney appearances
5th in Sweet 16's
3rd in Elite 8's
2nd in Conference Championships

Tech has been wild under Beard.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 04:14:22 PM »
i thought last 15 years were pretty awesome but surprised it's slightly worse than our overall history

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 04:34:17 PM »

If college basketball started in 2006, with no additional context, I'm not sure our status is any different. Clearly better than Oklahoma State, but not much different where the perception would make a difference for a coach or a player looking for what's best for them. Ironically enough, because they aren't looked at as an old time traditional basketball power, I think the only program that might take a reputation hit is Texas. They've gotten talent in the last 15 years, but they really haven't done anything since 2008.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2021, 12:34:40 AM »

If college basketball started in 2006, with no additional context, I'm not sure our status is any different. Clearly better than Oklahoma State, but not much different where the perception would make a difference for a coach or a player looking for what's best for them. Ironically enough, because they aren't looked at as an old time traditional basketball power, I think the only program that might take a reputation hit is Texas. They've gotten talent in the last 15 years, but they really haven't done anything since 2008.
Texas was very good at basketball in the SWC days. I agree with MIR, Texas legacy in basketball takes a hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline J

• Katpak'r
  • Just call me "Hollywood"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2021, 04:51:37 AM »
STEVE