Author Topic: favorite sports memory- not one you participated in  (Read 1452 times)

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
favorite sports memory- not one you participated in
« on: February 28, 2021, 09:19:12 AM »
mine has to be the 2015 world series run.  while the chiefs super bowl was great and everything, the way that world series/alcs/divisions played out was something that I will never forget and an incredible amount of fun for any fan of baseball.

others-
-chiefs 2019/2020
-ksu cats football 1998 season, my non-biased mind's eye says that we were the best team in the country by a discernible margin
-ksu cats 2009/2021 ksu cats basketball
-being at the Bernabéu when real madrid won the king's cup in 2014 (the game was played in valencia but the party was at the Bernabéu)

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
Re: favorite sports memory- not one you participated in
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 10:07:50 AM »
Cats Basketball 2010 NCAA run - Jake, Denis, FTB, OOD, etc.
Cats Football 2012 until the Baylor loss
Royals 2015
Chiefs 2019
Royals 2014
GRCOAT/2007 season
Chiefs 2020
Cats Football 2011

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 02:46:37 PM »
if choose to relive one single event it would be the 03 Dr Pepper

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 02:57:18 PM »
if choose to relive one single event it would be the 03 Dr Pepper
jeez how did I forget, I didn’t stop smiling for a week after that game

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 03:25:06 PM »
The single most fun time I’ve had at a sporting event was the 2006 Texas game 3 minute stretch where it went from 21-21 to 42-21. The plays in that sequence were just hilariously fun to watch & enjoy. I don’t think I’ll see a string of plays work out perfectly like that again.

My whole family was sick for the 2019 OU game. I’d image seeing that lead build up in person would have been close.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 03:28:51 PM by TheHamburglar »
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 03:44:10 PM »
One of the best times I’ve ever had was at a KSU cats football game watching the Royals. It was the 2015 OU game at home and we were behind 35-0 at halftime. At half we all went out to the ag lots and started watching the royals, we had a big tailgate group that day.

There were 2 groups of people, ours and the group behind us and the TV’s were about 10 seconds different. As the bottom of the 7th inning started we were down 3-0. The Zobrist hit fell behind first base and there were 2 giant cheers 10 seconds between each other. The rest of the inning progressed we just kept getting hit after hit and keeping the line moving, with each one making the cheers louder.

NOBODY went back into the cats football game for the second half and we just party rocked our faces off in the ag lots as the royals finished the game and took a commanding 2-0 lead in the ALCS. Incredible.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2021, 03:52:42 PM »
I think my fave might also be the 2015 world series run...I mean my metzies didn't win but it was the first time in my adult life that one of my teams was playing for the championship. Also the NLDS against the dodgers was something special. They had to have Kershaw and Grienke 4 times in a 5 game series. Also I'm not sure I've gotten as angry at an athlete like I did when confirmed trash human being Chase Utley slid 5' out of the base path to break Tejada's leg... Haven't gotten that rageing mad at an athlete since polamalu tried to decapitate Aaron Lockett in the '01 USC game

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2021, 03:58:21 PM »
I will add facing England in the 2010 world cup was bonkers

Online Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
favorite sports memory- not one you participated in
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2021, 04:24:04 PM »
The 2019 Chiefs Super Bowl season

Mavericks NBA Championship

Attending a Liverpool game in 2014

2019-2020 Liverpool season

2002-2003 Maverick season. Had season tickets and every home game was a party.

1998 KState football season

2007-2008 Kstate basketball season

2020 Chiefs

The 1985 Royals World Series

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2021, 04:54:01 PM »

1. 2015 Royals - I assumed the 2014 WS run was a fluke and figured we would go .500 or something in 2015. Then the season started and we got off to a hot start and 3 bench clearing brawls before April ended. That was a true "Team", no hall of fame player carrying us to victories, just some grit and moxie. The whole season was a blast but my favorite memory was when we came back to beat the Astros in a do or die game. They scored 3 in the bottom of the 7th to go up 6-2....6 outs left to score 4 or we go home...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBItLLh6ilY&ab_channel=BradHensonProductions

2. Cats 2009 E8 Run - The last 10 minutes + 2 OT's of that Xavier game was the most alive I have ever felt. Edge of your seat action, lead changes, incredible shots followed by even more incredible shots. Gus Johnson calling the game is the icing on the cake. "Crawfords gotta hurry...OHHHHHH!!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVEIeD91vIc&ab_channel=CBS

3. 2014 Royals - Cool we made the playoffs but I guess we are going to lose in the 1 game wild card to the A's...Nope! Remember all those extra inning and walk off wins?! Such a clutch team. Favorite memory of that run was the 1 game I attended for the ALCS when Moustakas made the diving catch over the railing. It was the 6th or 7th inning, we were tied and hadn't gotten anything going but as soon as he made that catch I knew we were going to win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q0wUQRHy58&ab_channel=FidelBenitezCorrales

4. Cats 2011 FB - Coming off a pinstripe bowl loss and we start the year off 7-0 or something? So much fun to be BACK. Best game of the year was the OSU earthquake game, sure we lost but we "proved" we could play with a good team.

5. Cats 2012 FB - Would be higher except for the WTF loss to Baylor which crushed my emaw heart. Looking back on the positives tho remember when we just laid the lumber on Miami?!? We put our 3rd string QB in because Sams kept scoring on them.  :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YuFGPMiTwE&ab_channel=EMAWksuEMAW

6. Chiefs 2019 SB - I'm surprised I ranked this so low but I always had the feeling that we were going to win every game that mattered. I did panic a bit when we were down 24-0 to the Texans and allowed the "Same old chiefs" thought to creep back into my head but that lasted for about 5 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R1s1wv5y5g&ab_channel=NFL

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2021, 11:21:33 AM »
Royals 2015 is best for me too, but 1998 would be if it weren’t for 1 game.

1998 still causes me some sadness, and for many years was a massive amount of pain. However, on the upside, 2012 didn’t really hurt too much because of 1998...that which didn’t kill me, I guess.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2021, 11:59:59 AM »
2009 ku kstate football game.  Peak of my obsession and a very satisfying w.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2021, 12:06:10 PM »
5. Cats 2012 FB - Would be higher except for the WTF loss to Baylor which crushed my emaw heart. Looking back on the positives tho remember when we just laid the lumber on Miami?!? We put our 3rd string QB in because Sams kept scoring on them.  :lol:

I’ve said this before here, but this game resulted in the hardest I’ve ever laughed at a K-State game. Two minutes left, people are leaving and it’s pretty quiet. 4 rows in front of us is what appears to be a college aged kid sitting by himself. He just tilts his head back, yells as loud as he can “I wish LHC Bill Snyder would stop scheduling these cupcakes” and gets up and walks out.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2021, 04:26:07 PM »
Going into June the 2014 Royals were 4 games under .500, they ended the month 4 over. From June 2014-Nov 2015 following the Royals was the most fun thing ever. People list the playoff runs, but those regular seasons were amazing. Every day waiting for the lineup to come out, Sung Wu, #voteOmar, the fights in 2015, the Zobrist trade, the Cueto trade, #1738, #ThatsWhatSpeedDo, those years were stupid fun even before the playoffs. Then to have the 2 unreal crazy exciting pennant runs and the 2015 World Series was incred. I mean, even though we lost, the 2014 World Series was bananas fun. I had a 20 game pack both of those years and went to all the postseason games. I loved it, I loved living in the city, and all of it.

Nothing will compare to that.

Runners up:
1. 2018 Chiefs (Patrick's first year, shootouts against the Rams and Patriots, tons of amazing moments)
2. The moment we hired Huggins til the moment Frank left- fun years, highlighted by Jake/Denis in 2009/2010
3. 2002/2003 Cat FB - I was in Manhattan, went to road games, was a blast
4. 2019-2020 Chiefs
5. 2011/2012 Cats - I had a plane booked to Miami for the 'ship in 12  :cry:

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2021, 04:43:21 PM »
5. 2011/2012 Cats - I had a plane booked to Miami for the 'ship in 12  :cry:

Me too. A group of people did. My brothers went to Europe for 10 days over winter break and they re arranged their flights to go to Miami. The weird thing for me was, after the Baylor loss, I was more sad about missing out on the trip with both my brothers/their friend and going with Phil/Mrs. Phil and having 3 days bouncing around bars with both sides of my family.

8 years later I’m still mad because we would have beat Notre Dame.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2021, 06:54:52 PM »

I’ve said this before here, but this game resulted in the hardest I’ve ever laughed at a K-State game. Two minutes left, people are leaving and it’s pretty quiet. 4 rows in front of us is what appears to be a college aged kid sitting by himself. He just tilts his head back, yells as loud as he can “I wish LHC Bill Snyder would stop scheduling these cupcakes” and gets up and walks out.

It was the hardest I ever laughed but it was at that behind the back pass from Klein to Harper, that was a special play because of the sheer ridiculousness of it
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2021, 07:07:42 PM »
For me:

2003 DP - I remember my mom leaving to go to the store right after OU scored, and she said nonchalantly "they'll never score again" and she was right  :surprised: It was such a fun game to watch and see it go so wrong for OU after the very rough start.
2007/8 beating ku- the dunk by Walker was so loud, and it was so great to finally get that win
2000 Nubbs - Coldest I have ever felt, and being in the snow, it was a ton of fun
2010 S16 - Just an insane game, back and forth, big shot after big shot from both sides, amazing
2011 in general - Every game was insane, Miami, Baylor, A&M, and even the loss to OSU is still my favorite game we lost, when I think back on the OSU game I feel the same as the Sweet 16 game vs Xavier except with the sting of the loss, but the big play after big play, shootout game was such a rush
2012 Texas - Best way to celebrate a birthday
2014 Wild Card - Easily the best baseball game I've seen, just incredible
2015 WS - Especially Hosmer's run to home, just a ballsy play

HM for the lolz:
2015 and 2017 ISU. 2015 for the most lollerz self destruction of a team in 1:34 (or w/e it was). Just so crazy, I remember after the failed 4th and 19th walking up the steps to leave with my friend, and then we hear "K-STATE FOOTBALL!" and we were both like "no way" and sure enough, the dumbness ensued, so funny.
2017 because it was just,. like, inevitable we were going to win that game. You could feel it, you knew we were going to score that game winning TD as time expired to rip their hearts out again and we did. It was so, so delicious
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2021, 07:27:47 PM »
the 2009 (?) farmageddon at arrowhead was so incred also

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2021, 07:51:49 PM »
2015 Royals run. Playoff baseball is ridiculous. Only championship for a sports team I really care about.
1998 K-State football season. Until, you know.
2010 NCAA tournament, Xavier win.
2018 NCAA tournament, Kentucky win.
2012 K-State football season. Until, you know.
2019 K-State Big 12 hoops title.
2014 Royals.
2011 K-State football season.
2008 K-State hoops, Michael Beasley, beating KU.
2013 K-State hoops Big 12 title.
2002 K-State football.
1997 K-State football.
1993 K-State football.
2011 and 12 K-State hoops.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2021, 08:18:32 PM »
November 10, 2012. #2 K-State at TCU. This probably isn't on anyone elses list, but it was really special for me because I was at a great watch party with good friends. It made for such an amazing night watching Alabama fall to Johnny Football on another TV in the bar and knowing K-State would be ranked #1 if they pulled out the win.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2021, 09:06:48 PM »
Very hard for me to compare sports even among K-State.

2012 was like a dream.  I was extremely in to it, but it almost never really seemed 100% real, like all the parts of it were so magical and like a fairy tale.  I know I have said some extremely awful crap and thought some terrible things about Bill over the years but that season was just so pure.

1997-1998 was just unreal, a 2 year stretch of just insanity and manhattan basically went through puberty with me.  Just indescribable.  Also I was in St. Louis.  Still just a monumental achievement.

2002 was a super fun year, actually more fun than 2003 ended up being imo as 2003 got screwed up right off the bat and then the Big XII title game was vindication, but it was very short lived as the Fiesta Bowl fiasco right after that kind of capped off the disappointing year.  No doubt the Big XII title was a huge get and very, very important for our psyche and the program, especially against Stoops & OU.

Final rank:
1. 2012
2. 1998
3. 1997
4. 2002
5. 2003

Hon. mention 1999, Beasley gets such endless crap because he was compared to Bishop and was followed by Ell, but he was still good and that defense and ST was unreal. The Texas roadie was an all-time great win.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2021, 10:50:46 PM »
Terence Newman’s blocked punt for a TD vs OU
Cartier Diarra’s windmill v KU
Terence Newman’s return vs USC
Roberson to terry for the score 03 drp
Sproles Middle screen 03 drp
Beasley on the press box
We own Texas v #1 Texas McGruder dunk
Snow angles v NU
1993 Copper Bowl intro
Miami goal line stand
Jeff Kelly int Td v NU, the happiest place on earth
Jake Pullen pwns Sherron vday (we lost)
Sproles break away v CU (we lost)
When art brown owned rgIII
Geno Smith tarp fight
Major Applesauce
Wegner finger smash
Anthony beane and ski vs KU in Larry and in KC
64-0 v ku in rain

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2021, 10:52:48 PM »
1993 Giants v Braves pennant run
A-Rod hitting 3 hr v royals
Lorenzo Cain scores from first on a single v Toronto
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.