Author Topic: Stanford Dallas PAK  (Read 11197 times)

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
Re: Stanford Dallas PAK
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2021, 03:47:00 PM »
Kinda lame it's on FS1. At 11am too. If it were 11am on Fox, it would be different.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2021, 04:29:19 PM »
gE should start doing some bake sales so K-State football doesn't have to debase itself with this embarrassing nonsense.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2021, 04:57:48 PM »
As predicted this move sucks total ass and is total ass
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2021, 05:16:32 PM »
gE should start doing some bake sales so K-State football doesn't have to debase itself with this embarrassing nonsense.

The owners could T-Boone the entire AD but we choose to give out charity to more deserving causes.   :kstategrad:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2021, 05:38:36 PM »
is there a good corner area of the dome that we could assign tracz & band to?  ideally we ask him to forego a hotel room and sleep in the corner as well.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2021, 08:56:07 AM »
I can't believe Jerry would schedule an FS1 game in his stadium.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2021, 09:07:51 AM »
this is dumb

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2021, 09:22:39 AM »
I for one am thankful that it's televised. That said, no idea if I'll be watching or not.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2021, 10:14:33 AM »
I'm considering going to tailgate and then watching the game at Texas Live.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2021, 10:40:30 AM »
When we schedule patsies like Stanford we get what we deserve.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2021, 12:26:38 PM »
We are mercenaries looking for a paycheck, anything else that Gene said about why we decided to do it was just cover.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2021, 04:30:17 PM »
If you think Gene even noticed and wasn't snoring in his rocking chair lol at you

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2021, 09:10:21 PM »
Of course we have the luck of playing one of these classic games on what might be one of the best week 1 schedules of all time. Oh well, I'll enjoy watching our game and all the other great games from the comfort of my couch.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2021, 10:20:22 AM »
David Shaw is pissed
From The Athletic

Stanford’s David Shaw frustrated with Fox for early kickoff time for season-opener: ‘I don’t want to hear s—‘ about ratings

By Stewart Mandel Jun 4, 2021 166
During an interview Friday, Stanford coach David Shaw leveled uncharacteristically harsh criticism at Fox Sports for placing the Cardinal’s Sept. 4 season-opener against Kansas State in Arlington, Texas, at Noon ET due to it being 9 a.m. on his players’ body clocks. He also hinted at displeasure within the Pac-12 that Oregon’s marquee game Sept. 11 at Ohio State will also be played at that time.

“I am pissed at Fox for our kickoff time against Kansas State,” Shaw told The Athletic. “… For Stanford in particular and Oregon to be going and playing in a different time zone, and give us an early kickoff, to me, is incredibly disrespectful. And it shows a lack of understanding of what we have to do, and the way that time difference truly affects us. It shows a lack of care for our student athletes.

“That, to me, is something that is egregious, and I don’t care who I piss off, but I think they’re wrong. A lot of our people in our conference are upset too.”

Shaw’s comments come a little more than a week after Oklahoma athletic director Joe Castiglione released a statement that said, “We are bitterly disappointed” that the Sooners’ Sept. 18 home game against Nebraska — the 50th anniversary of schools’ famed Game of the Century — was chosen for Fox’s Big Noon Kickoff window (11 a.m. CT).

“We tried every possible avenue to proactively make our case (for a later kickoff),” wrote Castiglione. “The Big 12 Conference also supported our strenuous efforts to secure a more traditional time that would honor this game and our fans. However, in the end, our TV partner chose to exercise its full contractual rights and denied our requests.”

A Fox Sports spokesperson declined to comment about Shaw’s remarks.

Fox has enjoyed strong ratings since launching its Big Noon package in 2019 — five of that season’s 10 most-watched games aired in that window, including two Oklahoma games. But it has caused inconveniences for some of the participants and their fans. Castiglione told reporters last week he was frustrated with the “disproportionate number of (OU) home games that have occurred at 11 (a.m.)” — 23 since the 2016 season — and the difficulties they pose for fans that travel in for the games.

“They (Fox) can say whatever they want to say. I don’t want to hear crap about, ‘Oh, it’s great ratings.’ I don’t care about the ratings,” said Shaw. “… This is either complete disregard, or lack of understanding how difficult it is to be a West Coast team that travels east and gets forced to play an early kickoff game.”

The Stanford-Kansas State game is not technically a “Big Noon” game. It is airing on FS1, not FOX. That network’s other three time slots that day consist of a Major League Baseball game at 4 p.m. ET followed by two other games involving Pac-12 teams, Oregon State at Purdue (7 p.m. ET) and Nevada at Cal (10:30 p.m. ET), meaning either the Beavers or Cardinal were likely going to fall into the Noon ET window.

Shaw’s beef is at least somewhat rooted in Stanford’s 16-6 loss at Northwestern in the 2015 season-opener, which aired on ESPN. The Cardinal that year went on to finish 12-2 and win the Rose Bowl behind star Christian McCaffrey.

“Northwestern played great, not to take anything away from them, but we played that game half asleep, and everybody saw what we’re capable of the rest of the year,” said Shaw. “Go back to 2009 at Wake Forest (a 24-17 loss). We played a really good first half; second half, our guys are dead. Their legs are dead, it’s a hot, muggy, early-morning wake up, and our guys couldn’t bounce back.”

Complaints about kickoff times in the Pac-12 aren’t new, but usually they’re about late-night ET kickoffs. It’s also extremely unusual for a high-profile coach to directly attack a TV partner. While the Stanford-Kansas State game falls under the Big 12’s TV rights, Fox and ESPN combine to pay the Pac-12 more than $250 million a year, most of which gets distributed to its member schools. Just last season, USC and Arizona State agreed to play a 9 a.m. PT game in Los Angeles for the Big Noon Kickoff package.

“I’m not happy with Fox, and I don’t care that they’re not going to be happy with my comments,” said Shaw. “We have to start sticking up for ourselves as West Coast teams, because we’re going to get judged the same, but we’re going to be playing against guys that get to sleep in their own beds, sleep in their own time zone and wake up at 8:30 in the morning, while our guys are getting up at 6:30 in the morning and losing those two hours of sleep.”

Stanford is playing another intersectional road game this season in Week 3 at Vanderbilt. That game is airing at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT on ESPNU, which is available in roughly 60 million homes, compared with nearly 80 million for FS1 as of 2020.

Disclosure: Stewart Mandel worked for Fox Sports from 2014-17.

(Top photo: Jason O. Watson / Getty Images)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2021, 10:35:38 AM »
Is Stanford flying in the morning of the game?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2021, 10:59:53 AM »
He's right though, it does really suck for them. KSU and OU whining is dumb.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2021, 11:00:18 AM »
I doubt it, they won't even be in school yet. There's always been narrative around west to east travel with football teams, college and pro.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2021, 11:04:23 AM »
He's right though, it does really suck for them. KSU and OU whining is dumb.

K-State and OU whining aren't in the same class. K-State fans whining is comprised of a few people inconvenienced with travel and tailgating. OU's whining is institutionalized and they think there's some conspiracy against them.

All that being said there is a real tangible issue with 11AM games, namely for Big 12 schools outside of the state of Texas, and it's that if you have a recruiting visit planned for a kid in Texas then you're given an 11AM kickoff, those visits are frequently postponed or cancelled altogether.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2021, 11:12:22 AM »

All that being said there is a real tangible issue with 11AM games, namely for Big 12 schools outside of the state of Texas, and it's that if you have a recruiting visit planned for a kid in Texas then you're given an 11AM kickoff, those visits are frequently postponed or cancelled altogether.

I never knew that. I thought they usually came in the night before.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2021, 11:18:31 AM »
Sounds like an excuse for when they get their asses kicked

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2021, 11:23:24 AM »
Why don’t you go to bed earlier?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2021, 11:30:43 AM »
Maybe the conferences should have thought of this before they made their big tv money grab.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2021, 11:55:52 AM »

I never knew that. I thought they usually came in the night before.

They play on Friday night

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2021, 12:04:51 PM »
Maybe the conferences should have thought of this before they made their big tv money grab.

This is my deal with OU crying. Stanford didn't have a choice with our game and the Northwestern games, since they're road games they are subjected to the home team's media deal. Central and Eastern time zone teams should always want visiting pacific time zone teams in the early slot. We had full control of that for the Nevada game but went with 1:00, terrible kick time for everybody.

Iowa State has to kick with UNLV at 9:45PM central time, I'd have to think that is just as bad, if not worse for flood aggie.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2021, 01:08:47 PM »

This is my deal with OU crying. Stanford didn't have a choice with our game and the Northwestern games, since they're road games they are subjected to the home team's media deal. Central and Eastern time zone teams should always want visiting pacific time zone teams in the early slot. We had full control of that for the Nevada game but went with 1:00, terrible kick time for everybody.

Iowa State has to kick with UNLV at 9:45PM central time, I'd have to think that is just as bad, if not worse for flood aggie.

Disagree. It’s great from a throwback perspective. DOD 1.0 was full of 1:10 kicks. :love:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12