Author Topic: CHIEFS/NFL Pit Thread  (Read 5912 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: CHIEFS/NFL Pit Thread
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2021, 01:48:19 PM »
I guess I shouldn't be surprised by the reaction of this opinion column, but I genuinely am shocked at how pissed people are. People legitimately think this man has no right to have and share his opinion on this. I pointed out that this guy absolutely isn't calling people racist and some dude quoted two passages from the column that didn't call anyone racist and said "come on you know he means racist here." Mt disappointment is that there seems to be a targeted campaign to remove nuance from any of these conversations, and it's working.

Many of the same people pissed that this guy is asking people to be considerate of what they are doing with these wigs are the same people who are willing to use the term cancel culture when discussing something like a woman human male genitals fighter losing her acting job because she said that republicans are being treated like Jews during the Holocaust. There are a lot of people who have told the general public that it's a weakness to be sensitive and thoughtful about things that don't have an affect you, and not only shouldn't you be sensitive to other's experiences, you really need to dig your heels in and act like they are trying to take something from you. It's incredibly frustrating and disheartening. If this guy can't get people to take his feelings, about this minute issue, at face value, how are we supposed to think we will make any headway on any of the big issues at all?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2021, 01:50:08 PM »
Are we so far gone as a society that an educator who probably borrowed a wig to dress up as Patrick Mahomes is newsworthy? It's what's honestly wrong with the media. It's just a hot thing to write about and add fuel
Yes. That's how far we've gone. Now get blasted for sharing that opinion that maybe news outlets might be losing their collective minds.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2021, 01:51:09 PM »
Are we so far gone as a society that an educator who probably borrowed a wig to dress up as Patrick Mahomes is newsworthy? It's what's honestly wrong with the media. It's just a hot thing to write about and add fuel

It's not the goddamned media, it's one guy's opinion. Opinion columns aren't written as news and aren't written with the intent that everyone agrees with them. I don't agree with it. Do you really think most of the people at the Star agrees with or even relates to what he's expressing?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2021, 01:52:41 PM »
I guess I shouldn't be surprised by the reaction of this opinion column, but I genuinely am shocked at how pissed people are. People legitimately think this man has no right to have and share his opinion on this. I pointed out that this guy absolutely isn't calling people racist and some dude quoted two passages from the column that didn't call anyone racist and said "come on you know he means racist here." Mt disappointment is that there seems to be a targeted campaign to remove nuance from any of these conversations, and it's working.

Many of the same people pissed that this guy is asking people to be considerate of what they are doing with these wigs are the same people who are willing to use the term cancel culture when discussing something like a woman human male genitals fighter losing her acting job because she said that republicans are being treated like Jews during the Holocaust. There are a lot of people who have told the general public that it's a weakness to be sensitive and thoughtful about things that don't have an affect you, and not only shouldn't you be sensitive to other's experiences, you really need to dig your heels in and act like they are trying to take something from you. It's incredibly frustrating and disheartening. If this guy can't get people to take his feelings, about this minute issue, at face value, how are we supposed to think we will make any headway on any of the big issues at all?

He has the right to have and share his incorrect opinion. The whole reason the newspaper printed his opinion is to generate discussion on the topic, though, so I don't understand why you would be surprised to see people disagreeing with him.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2021, 01:53:04 PM »
Has anyone seen the picture of the teacher in the wig?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2021, 01:56:15 PM »
The kids aren't dressing up as "a black guy" for Halloween, though. They are dressing up as Patrick Mahomes, so frankly, his opinion is the only one that matters.

I'm sorry but this is really stupid and I think you know it. Again, I want to point out that I am not offended by the wigs. I think they are unnecessary, but they don't get me in my feelings, I haven't had someone give me crap about my hair. But you're telling me that if a fair skinned person dressed up as OJ for Halloween, they painted themselves really dark, used those red wax lips, wore a 32 USC football jersey, and carried a bloody knife with blonde hair stuck to it would be a fine costume if OJ thought it was fine? There is literally no way in hell you think that.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2021, 01:57:40 PM »

I assumed it was the lady in the photo from the tweet, but maybe it's not.

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2021, 01:58:06 PM »

It's not the goddamned media, it's one guy's opinion. Opinion columns aren't written as news and aren't written with the intent that everyone agrees with them. I don't agree with it. Do you really think most of the people at the Star agrees with or even relates to what he's expressing?
I think it's horsesh1t that they would even let him run it and possibly ruin that teachers career for no real reason personally. I get freedom of speech but we live in a "track em down" and make them pay society.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2021, 01:59:34 PM »

I don't know the hell what RATM is talking about when he says this teacher getting his picture in the paper. The picture on the online column credits Amazon.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2021, 02:01:51 PM »

I think it's horsesh1t that they would even let him run it and possibly ruin that teachers career for no real reason personally. I get freedom of speech but we live in a "track em down" and make them pay society.

Y'all are on some clown crap and I'm starting to wonder if you even read the column. The damn teacher's name, grade, or subject isn't even mentioned in the column.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2021, 02:02:08 PM »
The kids aren't dressing up as "a black guy" for Halloween, though. They are dressing up as Patrick Mahomes, so frankly, his opinion is the only one that matters.

I'm sorry but this is really stupid and I think you know it. Again, I want to point out that I am not offended by the wigs. I think they are unnecessary, but they don't get me in my feelings, I haven't had someone give me crap about my hair. But you're telling me that if a fair skinned person dressed up as OJ for Halloween, they painted themselves really dark, used those red wax lips, wore a 32 USC football jersey, and carried a bloody knife with blonde hair stuck to it would be a fine costume if OJ thought it was fine? There is literally no way in hell you think that.

There definitely is a line somewhere. I don't think wearing an OJ mask would cross the line, but putting on blackface would, mostly because you would look nothing like OJ and would pretty much just be making fun of black people with the costume you described.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2021, 02:02:41 PM »
I've had multiple black people I know express discomfort with white people wearing Mahomes wigs.  I won't defend people wearing it at the expense of other people's discomfort.  Perhaps the most offensive thing to me in all of this is that a lot of white people think they can explain to black people how they should feel about it.  I don't fully understand this one but I sure as crap don't need to be wearing a Mahomes wig around either.

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2021, 02:03:53 PM »

Y'all are on some clown crap and I'm starting to wonder if you even read the column. The damn teacher's name, grade, or subject isn't even mentioned in the column.
I'm just saying these type of situations that are similar to an extent tend to get figured out quite easily if someone wants to.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2021, 02:06:58 PM »

I don't know the hell what RATM is talking about when he says this teacher getting his picture in the paper. The picture on the online column credits Amazon.

Correct, and I found those pics and similar on amazon and getting the hy-vee wigs as the search results too.  I don't think the actual pic has been spread that much, although it's gotta be out there.

If what the teacher did is wear one of those explicit Mahomes wigs (especially the hy-vee Mahomes-endorsed ones), I think the column-writer maybe should've taken more issue with Mahomes himself for his role and explained why the creation of such wigs is problematic.  The writer was going down that road toward the end and said they'd reached out for comment but didn't hear back.

If the teacher took an afro wig and worn a headband and was declaring it to be a Mahomes costume, I think the column-writer should've made that more clear and how that's undoubtedly inappropriate and then segued into what they feel is problematic about even the Mahomes-endorsed wigs.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2021, 02:08:48 PM »
The teacher using a generic afro and headband is a little  :facepalm: . just giving the benefit of the doubt, I don't think it was malicious but the teacher should have used better judgment

The Mahomes branded/specific stuff is totally different imo.

The people losing their minds over an opinion piece like this are part of the outrage machine they accuse this guy of apart of. It'd be good if everyone could be a little more introspective.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2021, 02:08:53 PM »
i saw the picture and thought it was pretty mundane, tbh, but i guess it's in the eye of the beholder.  given the teacher's lack of malicious intent, it seems like a silly issue to get super worked up about, but the writer certainly has the right to get worked up about it, and his readers have the right to think his opinion is dumb and dismissible.  comparing it to blackface seems disingenuous to me.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2021, 02:11:25 PM »
I've had multiple black people I know express discomfort with white people wearing Mahomes wigs.  I won't defend people wearing it at the expense of other people's discomfort.  Perhaps the most offensive thing to me in all of this is that a lot of white people think they can explain to black people how they should feel about it.  I don't fully understand this one but I sure as crap don't need to be wearing a Mahomes wig around either.

Are people explaining to black people how they should feel, or are they claiming those feelings don't really matter?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2021, 02:29:33 PM »

Tbh, the wigs are something that I never would have even considered people having a problem with. Putting opinions like this out into the public sphere is beneficial imo and exactly what a local newspaper should be doing.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2021, 02:34:11 PM »

Are people explaining to black people how they should feel, or are they claiming those feelings don't really matter?

just the run of the mill being outraged about someone else's outrage

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2021, 02:38:58 PM »
The teacher using a generic afro and headband is a little  :facepalm: . just giving the benefit of the doubt, I don't think it was malicious but the teacher should have used better judgment

The people losing their minds over an opinion piece like this are part of the outrage machine they accuse this guy of apart of. It'd be good if everyone could be a little more introspective.
I can agree with all of this. I also am seeing the prospective from a teacher who's like ah crap its Chiefs day what do I have that I can throw on in my closet. Well I have my Mahomes Jersey and my afro from 70's spirit day.

Offline Jobu

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2021, 02:42:09 PM »
Pretty far off topic, but the halloween costume talk reminded me.  I saw a kid, prolly 9 or 10, dressed up like a lumberjack.  Which is a pretty cool costume.  What was even cooler is he was walking around with a real hatchet.  I said, "holy crap, kid, is that a real hatchet?!" He said, "Yeah" then spun around and almost smacked his little sister in the head with it.  I said, "well, have fun.  Be careful with that.  Jesus Christ." and they went on their merry way.

I think the kids made it home in one piece.  Maybe next year he'll have a chainsaw.
Make a joke and I will sigh, and you will laugh and I will cry.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2021, 02:47:02 PM »

I'm just saying these type of situations that are similar to an extent tend to get figured out quite easily if someone wants to.

Who wants to? The instagram photo was taken 9 days ago and no one seems to be calling for this person to be burned at the stake or even calling for his job. Your first instinct is to feign outrage about this unspoken man's job, without knowing a damn thing about him, only that he was a white dude mentioned without name or image in a Kansas City Star column that would have gotten very little traction if not for the white outrage patrol. Meanwhile, you haven't showed even a shred of concern for the sentiment the columnist expressed or what some nut might try to do to this guy who's name, face, and place of work is public record. Who do you think is in more danger, this nameless, faceless teacher or this black newspaper employee who has been made a poster boy for wokeness and the evil media by every aggrieved white man and woman on social media who has seen this RTed hundreds of times?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2021, 02:52:33 PM »

These are very well said, thank you. For the record I don't see a difference between an afro wig and headband and the Mahomes branded stuff, the intent is the same, and it isn't malicious, but that doesn't mean there is something to be learned and considered from doing either publically.

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2021, 02:52:44 PM »

Who wants to? The instagram photo was taken 9 days ago and no one seems to be calling for this person to be burned at the stake or even calling for his job. Your first instinct is to feign outrage about this unspoken man's job, without knowing a damn thing about him, only that he was a white dude mentioned without name or image in a Kansas City Star column that would have gotten very little traction if not for the white outrage patrol. Meanwhile, you haven't showed even a shred of concern for the sentiment the columnist expressed or what some nut might try to do to this guy who's name, face, and place of work is public record. Who do you think is in more danger, this nameless, faceless teacher or this black newspaper employee who has been made a poster boy for wokeness and the evil media by every aggrieved white man and woman on social media who has seen this RTed hundreds of times?
I'm not outraged at all. Didn't even look to see that the person that wrote it was black. I wouldn't give care either way. It's a dumb piece.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2021, 03:00:44 PM »
i saw the picture and thought it was pretty mundane, tbh, but i guess it's in the eye of the beholder.  given the teacher's lack of malicious intent, it seems like a silly issue to get super worked up about, but the writer certainly has the right to get worked up about it, and his readers have the right to think his opinion is dumb and dismissible.  comparing it to blackface seems disingenuous to me.

The author certainly didn't "get worked up about it," he expressed an opinion, he didn't call for anyone to get fired, he offered an alternate way to look at the situation, those things used to be of value, pretty clear that has been diminished. Of course anyone has the option to think his opinion is dumb and dismissable, that's well within anyone's right. It certainly sends a very strong message to dismiss a black man's opinion on white people wearing afros as dumb and dismissable. I have to wonder what opinion this gentleman has about things that he deems important to who he is, merits being taken seriously. I can't help but to extend that to how you feel about opinions that I have that you can't wrap your hands around.

No one compared this to blackface, so I don't know where you got that from. I do think they are very comparable though, as in most cases the intent isn't harm. I assure you that 99% of people wearing blackface didn't do so with the intent of offending anyone.