Author Topic: National CFB Championship 2021  (Read 2095 times)

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
National CFB Championship 2021
« on: January 11, 2021, 10:09:02 AM »
If Saban win's tonight he is considered the greatest head coach of all time in my book. 1 title with LSU and tonight would be 6 with Bama. Bear Bryant had 6 and didn't have to win two titles through a playoff system. Saban will be the best ever.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
Re: National CFB Championship 2021
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 10:10:55 AM »
He already is.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 10:14:17 AM »
He already is.
But this will really solidify it!
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 04:47:38 PM »
Remember when Saban was a giant dork at Michigan State winning 6 or 7 games a year?  Just look at this and tell me he didn't sell his soul to the devil:

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 08:44:37 AM »
There are just a few teams that dominate NCAA football every year, and even more so since CFP was established.  I know this is the year of COVID but something needs to change because it's getting boring. 

Congrats to OU for being the only Big 12 team to ever make the CFP.  Congrats to the Pac-12 for not having a team in the CFP since 2016-2017 season.  Congrats to 13 teams who have been snubbed with 1 or less losses since CFP inception (that does not include this season which would add another 6 teams). 

Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 09:33:07 AM »
Alabama AGAIN.  :zzz:

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 09:33:55 AM »
Alabama AGAIN.  :zzz:

Though, it is pretty fun when someone can knock them off.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 09:42:32 AM »
Honestly who cares about the CFP. Enjoy the Big 12 and if you compete for a league title you're golden. Bowl games can still be fun when they come back even if they're meaningless.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 09:45:15 AM »
The really lame part is mid-season when the talking heads pretend that an OU, Ohio St, or whichever big school drops their first game and could be eliminated from the playoff.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2021, 09:56:53 AM »
Honestly who cares about the CFP. Enjoy the Big 12 and if you compete for a league title you're golden. Bowl games can still be fun when they come back even if they're meaningless.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2021, 11:35:36 AM »
The CFBPO will only be playoffs when there's a lot more teams in it.  Now it's just an invitational.

The asshats holding it back are beholden to ESPN and the ESPN owned shitty bowls.

The idiots who get wrapped around the spokes over lopsided early round games apparently don't get that people tune into the 2-15 matchup in the NCAA tourney hoping for an upset, but not expecting one. 

More bowls can be part of the playoffs as well, and bowls can always be there for the the 3 to 6 loss teams as a nice reward for the entry into the media guide.

As far as Saban and Michigan State goes nobody wins big there and he was 10 games over .500 and never finished below .500 in conference.  He won 9 games his last year there.    That's a forever mediocre program.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2021, 12:43:14 PM »
The same teams dominate CBB but the tournament gives the optical illusion of everyone getting a shot. If the people want to see Alabama beat the holy hell out of three teams instead of 2 then so be it, but I don’t think it solves any apathy.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2021, 01:19:59 PM »
The same teams dominate CBB but the tournament gives the optical illusion of everyone getting a shot. If the people want to see Alabama beat the holy hell out of three teams instead of 2 then so be it, but I don%u2019t think it solves any apathy.

but different teams actually do make it to the final and win it (even if winning is still rare). the last final four had three teams that had never won a title, two that had never been to a final four and the other was 25 removed from one. Butler played in consecutive national title games.

but really that just shows it's a crapshoot, and has nothing to do with apathy IMO.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2021, 01:32:56 PM »
The same teams dominate CBB but the tournament gives the optical illusion of everyone getting a shot. If the people want to see Alabama beat the holy hell out of three teams instead of 2 then so be it, but I don%u2019t think it solves any apathy.

but different teams actually do make it to the final and win it (even if winning is still rare). the last final four had three teams that had never won a title, two that had never been to a final four and the other was 25 removed from one. Butler played in consecutive national title games.

but really that just shows it's a crapshoot, and has nothing to do with apathy IMO.

12 teams have won the last 20 basketball championships and 11 teams have won the last 20 football championships. It’s basically identical.  Basketball doesn’t quite have a team that dominates at Bama levels though. I think the more concerning thing with football is it’s basically only teams from the Southeast that win so it’s basically becoming only regionally interesting.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2021, 02:38:45 PM »

12 teams have won the last 20 basketball championships and 11 teams have won the last 20 football championships. It’s basically identical.  Basketball doesn’t quite have a team that dominates at Bama levels though. I think the more concerning thing with football is it’s basically only teams from the Southeast that win so it’s basically becoming only regionally interesting.

except it's very different when you have Texas Tech, Gonzaga, and Butler playing in half of the last 10 title games. There's nothing comparable in CFB. (Not that there should be, but still)

And you're right, I think the CFP is going to become more and more irrelevant to anyone outside of the southeast as more people jump on my "only worry about conference titles" bandwagon

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2021, 06:13:35 PM »
It's not truly going to be fixed until a) Saban retires/quits and/or b) there is some mechanism beyond just recruiting (and everything that means) to get kids to go to certain schools. College (all college sports really) is just so head coach success driven vs like, the NFL, where most talent is obv done via the draft, and trades, waivers, etc allow teams to supplement over time. While it can obviously be messed up by GMs and the front office, you at least know that come next year if you had a shitty year you got the first crack at the best guys next year.

I am a staunch believer in the whole 8 team (5 P5 confy champs, 1 top G5, and 2 at larges) to make it more interesting (and fair) but that still won't fix the Alabama "problem". They'd still get in, run all over most teams, and while it'd be better cause hey, more teams technically have that shot, it won't happen that often.

Dynasties rise and fall, and quite honestly we kind of live in a very unipolar age where it's basically Alabama, sometimes Clemson, rarely tOSU, and then a few powers in a conference that get in and that's it. I'm sure in the 60s/70s it would've felt very similar with UCLA and Wooden doing that in basketball (or NDSU down in FCS now), and now UCLA is basically irrelevant in most seasons of the game, it happens.

Other examples would be like UConn in women's basketball, Penn St on volleyball, etc. Heck, Tennessee women's basketball used to be basically the Clemson to UConn's Bama and after Pat Summit passed now look at them, also basically irrelevant, or at least no where near the success when Pat was there.

I think Saban will ultimately go down as an often imitated, rarely achieved level of success that I think will be very very hard for other schools to lock in. When he exists the stage many more teams will rise and fill the gap.

I do agree it seems like the CFP playoff seems kinda irrelevant, a party for only certain types. I don't think I've watched a down in nearly 3 years of any playoff game.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2021, 08:52:22 PM »

This. 100% this. Bowl season this year was surprisingly decent. College football bowl season is somehow very underrated.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
National CFB Championship 2021
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2021, 09:12:47 PM »
Everything about college football is great except for the extremely shitty non con LHC LHC LHC Bill Snyder type matchups

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk