Author Topic: Post Covid Things  (Read 5107 times)

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
Re: Post Covid Things
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2021, 09:04:47 AM »
Any projections for when there will be an in-person gE gathering in Manhattan? Would like to IRL meet gE'rs for some beers.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2021, 09:08:46 AM »
I've been doing some applying/interviewing for remote work over the past couple weeks. I feel like there is a greater number of remote opportunities now than there was in the past. I've also been directly told by the majority of recruiters I've talked to (4 or 5 out of 6) that they decided to make the position permanently remote over the past year.

I may never work in an office again.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2021, 09:11:02 AM »
I've been doing some applying/interviewing for remote work over the past couple weeks. I feel like there is a greater number of remote opportunities now than there was in the past. I've also been directly told by the majority of recruiters I've talked to (4 or 5 out of 6) that they decided to make the position permanently remote over the past year.

we are closing regional offices for full time remote. North American HQ will be at about 40% in person. not sure what our international offices are doing but assume it's similar. we were already heading this direction (my employees and I have worked from home for the last 5'ish years) but Covid accelerated it by at least a decade. my industry is definitely one that WFH works for, obviously all industries won't.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2021, 09:13:20 AM »
My company just started offering work from home in January. I asked and they told me I live too close to the office.

:bang:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2021, 09:33:53 AM »
literally nobody on the planet has said or believes that....

They weren't thinking 60% return by a longshot. I think that's even low if we flash forward 7 years. Depends on the industry of course.

Anyways super smart Dimon and I are on the same page unsurprisingly.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2021, 09:35:28 AM »
My company just started offering work from home in January. I asked and they told me I live too close to the office.

Lol this has been part of our quandry. Move further away!

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2021, 09:37:21 AM »
They decided on a 25 mile min, I'm at like 16 miles or something. I would have to live south of 435 and frankly that's just not worth it to me.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2021, 09:39:07 AM »
They decided on a 25 mile min, I'm at like 16 miles or something. I would have to live south of 435 and frankly that's just not worth it to me.

Yeah not worth that. New city time!

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2021, 09:39:41 AM »
Let’s be honest, distance from the office is a really stupid way to evaluate whether someone should be able to work from home.
:adios:

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2021, 09:40:58 AM »
Let’s be honest, distance from the office is a really stupid way to evaluate whether someone should be able to work from home.

Absolutely, and I very diplomatically let them know that. It's just the initial roll out, I'm hoping that requirement gets relaxed. Only like 3 of 20ish people were eligible.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2021, 09:42:01 AM »
Yes. Facebook paying different salaries for remote employees depending on where they lived is also really stupid.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2021, 09:56:07 AM »
Any projections for when there will be an in-person gE gathering in Manhattan? Would like to IRL meet gE'rs for some beers.

FattyFest, September or October.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2021, 09:57:24 AM »
Yes. Facebook paying different salaries for remote employees depending on where they lived is also really stupid.
We do this, I believe it’s pretty standard in most industries. NYC and SFO are only a 120% compa which seems really not worth living there. OMA is a 95% which infuriates me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Post Covid Things
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2021, 10:00:07 AM »
Why?  Location was part of the reason for increased salary. If you no longer need to live in an expensive place, it makes sense to adjust the salary down.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2021, 10:03:02 AM »

Time to set up a domicile PO box in South Dakota

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2021, 10:17:40 AM »
Why?  Location was part of the reason for increased salary. If you no longer need to live in an expensive place, it makes sense to adjust the salary down.

Nobody working from home needs to live in an expensive place. The job should pay what it pays and employees should choose where to live accordingly.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2021, 10:26:22 AM »

Nobody working from home needs to live in an expensive place. The job should pay what it pays and employees should choose where to live accordingly.
Sure, but the previous pay benchmark was based on being present in SF.  If that is no longer the benchmark it will be reduced everywhere else.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2021, 10:29:44 AM »

an employer will pay to market (or whatever percent above or below market) to obtain and keep the level of employee they need in the role. that may mean paying more to recruit and retain employees in NYC and less in OKC. this isn't a government program. and by having formal compa ratios by geography you avoid discrimination cases.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2021, 10:33:59 AM »
I get that not all employees work for the same salary and that a company is going to hire at the market rate. It's the whole idea of getting a paycut from the job you already have because you decide to pack up and move to OKC part that I don't understand. That seems more in line with a government program to me.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2021, 10:53:02 AM »
I get that not all employees work for the same salary and that a company is going to hire at the market rate. It's the whole idea of getting a paycut from the job you already have because you decide to pack up and move to OKC part that I don't understand. That seems more in line with a government program to me.
It’s no longer really the same job!

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2021, 11:14:43 AM »

we are closing regional offices for full time remote. North American HQ will be at about 40% in person. not sure what our international offices are doing but assume it's similar. we were already heading this direction (my employees and I have worked from home for the last 5'ish years) but Covid accelerated it by at least a decade. my industry is definitely one that WFH works for, obviously all industries won't.

We are still up in the air with our policy. We already had a day or 2 at home if you wanted. They keep saying we will have people back in the office, but still haven't decided what that means. I think they realize how stupid it is since we've been out a year and everything is fine and most people want to continue, but can't pull the trigger. I'm sure I'll have to go back in a day or two at some point and I'll be pissed about it. All of my team members are in other cities so I will just be going to an office to be on zoom meetings all day. Its dumb.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2021, 11:52:12 AM »
I get paid less than counterparts that work in Chicago, NYC, etc.   I don't know HOW much less, but I have been specifically told that this is the case.  I don't love that, but I also know that I am comparably more valuable as a lower cost provider of the same services.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Post Covid Things
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2021, 11:57:03 AM »
This is a hilariously SF way of thinking.

Although I will say the salaries at my company are the same across all offices, which REALLY makes me feel for my NY and DC colleagues at times like this.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2021, 11:59:48 AM »
4 days in the office this week. Only one. Feels good. DMX blasting on the floor!

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2021, 12:29:36 PM »
I got like a 10% col bump when I moved from Topeka to the kc office  :kstategrad: