Author Topic: The Real Estate Investing Thread  (Read 15421 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: The Real Estate Investing Thread
« Reply #75 on: June 24, 2021, 10:02:05 AM »
IPA have you done like lengthy trial runs of living in an RV? seems like a pretty big life adjustment.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2021, 10:57:33 AM »
Make sure you can deal with smelling your partners poops 24/7/365 in all rooms of your “house” IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2021, 11:22:58 AM »
Fun fact: yla's wife in high school lived a full year in a 5th wheel with her parents. (military)  :lol: :lol: she hated every minute of it

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2021, 12:59:53 PM »
Fun fact: yla's wife in high school lived a full year in a 5th wheel with her parents. (military)  :lol: :lol: she hated every minute of it
Oh my. That would be hell.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2021, 01:07:23 PM »
IPA have you done like lengthy trial runs of living in an RV? seems like a pretty big life adjustment.
I lived on a submarine for four years with all of my crap in a significantly smaller area and no sunlight. Adaptation wouldn't be an issue.

I used about 800 sq ft of my 3200 sq ft home. Seems like such a waste. Could be putting my money into other things like the Crypto gambling thread.

Anyhow, I'm in the thinking/research stage. Haven't put the house on the market yet.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2021, 01:11:00 PM »
I lived on a submarine for four years with all of my crap in a significantly smaller area and no sunlight. Adaptation wouldn't be an issue.

I used about 800 sq ft of my 3200 sq ft home. Seems like such a waste. Could be putting my money into other things like the Crypto gambling thread.

Anyhow, I'm in the thinking/research stage. Haven't put the house on the market yet.

was your spouse on the submarine?

have you considered an 800 sq foot house?

Offline passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2021, 02:08:36 PM »

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3529-State-Line-Rd-Kansas-City-MO-64111/2342963_zpid/

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2021, 02:29:11 PM »

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3529-State-Line-Rd-Kansas-City-MO-64111/2342963_zpid/
Looks like it has been on ocean voyages, much like IPA

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2021, 02:44:19 PM »
Good lord. That's overpriced.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #84 on: June 24, 2021, 02:49:58 PM »

I'm divorced. 800 sq ft home doesn't appeal to me in this market of inflated prices. I'd rather drop $80-100K on an RV setup while awaiting the RE market crash. Then grab a waterfront condo after this buying frenzy ends.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2021, 02:57:36 PM »

I'm divorced. 800 sq ft home doesn't appeal to me in this market of inflated prices. I'd rather drop $80-100K on an RV setup while awaiting the RE market crash. Then grab a waterfront condo after this buying frenzy ends.

ah that makes sense. I thought you were living with a GF! Maybe I was confused!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 24, 2021, 03:40:15 PM »
The real estate market is not crashing, at least not for a LONG time

https://animalspiritspod.libsyn.com/talk-your-book-the-state-of-the-housing-market

Offline Cardiac Cats

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 24, 2021, 04:19:47 PM »

https://animalspiritspod.libsyn.com/talk-your-book-the-state-of-the-housing-market

Proud of you for going all in on Ben Carlson.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 24, 2021, 04:30:57 PM »

I don't see a "crash" coming either. I don't expect it to keep shooting up at the current rate, either. But people waiting for a crash to buy will be waiting for a while imo. At least 5 years, maybe longer.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 24, 2021, 04:43:09 PM »
The “crash” will be home price appreciation flattening some

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2021, 04:47:36 PM »
The “crash” will be home price appreciation flattening some

That's my expectation too. As we know, it's mostly supply vs demand here. What matters that is not supply /demand are interest rates. It will take A LOT of building or A LOT of foreclosures to satisfy the demand. I don't believe either will occur soon.

And I don't see a large spike in interest rates either, although I'll admit it's harder for me to predict how long these rates will occur.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 24, 2021, 05:49:10 PM »
It’s also not the dang stock market. People won’t buy a home and sell it because it depreciated 20%. The opposite is more likely to occur. Same reason people aren’t flocking to sell now that they have an assload of equity. Builders aren’t building. Saw Mills won’t increase production. This is the new floor. And tomorrow will be the next new floor.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The Real Estate Investing Thread
« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2021, 08:39:34 AM »
I don’t really expect values to take a plunge. I do expect inventory to increase, which will at least put a damper on some of the greedy asking prices currently out there. US population growth is damn near negative at this point, and builders will keep building as long as there is a demand.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2021, 09:00:40 AM »
It’s also not the dang stock market. People won’t buy a home and sell it because it depreciated 20%. The opposite is more likely to occur. Same reason people aren’t flocking to sell now that they have an assload of equity. Builders aren’t building. Saw Mills won’t increase production. This is the new floor. And tomorrow will be the next new floor.

Yeah, this makes sense to me as well.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 29, 2021, 02:43:16 PM »
Folks if you’ve been paying attention at all the last few years you’d know the fed would never allow the housing market to crash.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 29, 2021, 03:34:08 PM »
I wonder if there is any large investment entities impacting housing pricing and supply.   Maybe certain entities, like one that just bought 17,000 houses.   

I'll leave out Pit level commentary.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 29, 2021, 03:41:08 PM »
I wonder if there is any large investment entities impacting housing pricing and supply.   Maybe certain entities, like one that just bought 17,000 houses.   

As a home owner it doesn't necessarily bother me because I'm seeing my home valuation increase. However, it's really troubling when you consider what it means for home ownership among millennials, lower class and middle class families.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 29, 2021, 03:43:13 PM »

That’s not moving the needle much at all

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 29, 2021, 03:44:30 PM »

As a home owner it doesn't necessarily bother me because I'm seeing my home valuation increase. However, it's really troubling when you consider what it means for home ownership among millennials, lower class and middle class families.

It basically amounts to a tax increase, unless you are looking to move somewhere where housing is significantly cheaper.