Author Topic: IRL discussion of who should replace oscar  (Read 23794 times)

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Re: IRL discussion of who should replace oscar
« Reply #175 on: March 15, 2021, 11:27:05 PM »
Apparently the IU buyout was financed by a single donor and the new coach money by one more
:adios:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 15, 2021, 11:48:34 PM »
Apparently the IU buyout was financed by a single donor and the new coach money by one more

Yeah, something isn't adding up with this right now.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2021/03/15/archie-miller-fired-how-iu-paying-his-buyout-indiana-hoosiers-coach/4704686001/

This article lays out how the buyouts are being paid, but this sentence by the AD is in there.
During his press conference, Dolson indicated that two boosters are involved; one handling the $10 million buyout, the other the cost of replacing Miller. He would not name the boosters. Dolson also said. "I was not approached by donors. It was not an anti-Archie effort."

Like what? Is he saying that he made the decision to fire Archie, then asked donors for money? If the decision to fire Archie was already made, why would you, as a donor, spend $10 million?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 16, 2021, 11:24:22 AM »
Imagine having the $$ to pay $10mm to get rid of a coach you hate.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 16, 2021, 12:09:34 PM »
Your life has probably been interesting if you managed to acquire both that level of wealth and pettiness.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 16, 2021, 12:12:51 PM »
Your life has probably been interesting if you managed to acquire both that level of wealth and pettiness.

Have you spoken to Indiana basketball fans? This isn't pettiness at all, they think being elite at basketball is a birthright. Never mind they only had success with one coach and that peaked 40 years ago, and college athletics is very different.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #180 on: March 16, 2021, 12:18:07 PM »
Indiana's actions are all almost certainly related to the fact that Illinois got a one seed.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 16, 2021, 12:24:13 PM »

Have you spoken to Indiana basketball fans? This isn't pettiness at all, they think being elite at basketball is a birthright. Never mind they only had success with one coach and that peaked 40 years ago, and college athletics is very different.

Oh I don't doubt that the average Indiana fan thinks that way but I'm talking about one person dropping $10 million.  Jesus.  At least call up some of your other rich petty friends and have them chip in. 

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 16, 2021, 12:54:38 PM »

Oh I don't doubt that the average Indiana fan thinks that way but I'm talking about one person dropping $10 million.  Jesus.  At least call up some of your other rich petty friends and have them chip in. 

You realize Mark Cuban is one of these dudes right?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 16, 2021, 04:02:57 PM »

I actually completely forgot about that. Did the AD out Mark Cuban on calling him and letting him know that he has the money for the buyout if the AD pulls the trigger?

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 16, 2021, 04:57:54 PM »

I actually completely forgot about that. Did the AD out Mark Cuban on calling him and letting him know that he has the money for the buyout if the AD pulls the trigger?

I think he went to twitter and said “Mark Cuban told me to fire Archie Miller’s ass and if I don’t want to then it will be my ass that is fired”
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 16, 2021, 07:14:47 PM »
A whole lot of schools somehow managed to find a lot of buyouts today. It's almost as if finding the money for buyouts isn't a big deal for high major programs, pandemic or not. I'm also sure not a single academic donor at Indiana, Minnesota, and Iowa State had any problem at all with athletic departments spending athletic department money to remove an employee deemed ineffective.

i'm sure this is false.  maybe if you restrict it to mega-donors, but even that's no guarantee.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 16, 2021, 08:11:37 PM »
This is how they wasted all of that buyout $! :lol:

https://twitter.com/bysamgordon/status/1371982029567324160?s=21

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 17, 2021, 02:33:36 AM »
A whole lot of schools somehow managed to find a lot of buyouts today. It's almost as if finding the money for buyouts isn't a big deal for high major programs, pandemic or not. I'm also sure not a single academic donor at Indiana, Minnesota, and Iowa State had any problem at all with athletic departments spending athletic department money to remove an employee deemed ineffective.

i'm sure this is false.  maybe if you restrict it to mega-donors, but even that's no guarantee.

I was being sarcastic. I have been forever perturbed when athletic directors float that they can't fire basketball or football coaches because of their buyouts. This college basketball and college football off season should forever bust that narrative but people are largely stupid and lazy so we'll have to keep hearing it. I don't think it was Gene and his crew that floated this, I think it was pro oscar message board fans, but it was out there that they couldn't fire oscar because academic donors would be mad, which whether that was accurate or not, was the dumbest thing I've heard this basketball season.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 17, 2021, 02:39:27 AM »
This is how they wasted all of that buyout $! :lol:

https://twitter.com/bysamgordon/status/1371982029567324160?s=21

TBF, the buyout money wasn't about who they brought in but who they ran off, Prohm clearly wasn't the answer. Iowa sports fans, more than any other college sports fans I've ever seen, want someone they consider one of them and they think that of Otzelberger and they are over-the-moon happy with the hire. He's far more popular with them than whomever we eventually replace oscar with will be with us.

Offline Woogy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 17, 2021, 08:56:03 AM »

A lot of it is basketball in general. The wife's extended family is right in the middle of this: Half are IU alums, several live in Bloomington (nice place actually, not at all like Lawrence as you might expect it to be).  Parents live a stones throw from French Lick (although Larry went to ISU). Their hometown was one of those that could wrap themselves in the glow of Hoosiers - they made it to Indy a couple times as what would be a 1A school in Kansas and did win it all after Indiana went to a classification system.  Their HS league is the "Blue Chip League" for crying out loud.

The other half are Purdue alums - except the wife, she went to ISU.

You don't see a lot of driveway hoops setups anymore around Kansas; they are still everywhere out there.

Offline J

• Katpak'r
  • Just call me "Hollywood"
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 05, 2021, 04:53:05 AM »
STEVE

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 05, 2021, 08:14:38 AM »
Yeah, what’s up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 05, 2021, 08:20:15 AM »

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 05, 2021, 08:46:50 AM »
hm?

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 05, 2021, 10:03:45 PM »

They had some success in 2002 when they made it to the national championship game :dunno:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 05, 2021, 10:41:41 PM »

They had some success in 2002 when they made it to the national championship game :dunno:

They lost 12 games that year

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 04, 2021, 09:34:38 AM »
An all-time fantasy of mine.
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #197 on: May 04, 2021, 12:37:56 PM »
An all-time fantasy of mine.
Yeah if I had the money, I'd make KSU sports amazing.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 04, 2021, 08:05:46 PM »
i'd buy a big cow farm.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 04, 2021, 08:18:03 PM »
I'd buy sys a big cow farm
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite