Author Topic: Wichita State 1970  (Read 3178 times)

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Wichita State 1970
« on: October 01, 2020, 03:37:18 PM »
The true story of college football's forgotten tragedy https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29993873/three-generations-later-secrets-wichita-state-devastating-plane-crash-unfolding
via @ESPN App http://espn.com/app

The Marshall plane crash happened a little over a month after this disaster.  Marshall's tragedy has garnered more attention over the years, but Wichita State's is every bit as sad.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 04:20:16 PM by KST8FAN »

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
Re: Wichita State 1970
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 08:39:06 PM »
Didn't they end football not to long after that?
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 09:10:09 PM »
Not until 1986 after they had beat us in 85.

Tom

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 09:14:27 PM »
I remember the 82 game they came to Manhattan 3-0 with an upset in Lawrence.   Dickeys redshirt team beat Prince McJunkins led Shockers 31-7

Tom

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 02:23:40 AM »
My friend works for the WSU alumni association and bringing football back will almost certainly will never be in the cards for WSU unfortunately, they don’t have enough interest or funding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2020, 09:22:23 AM »
There was some interest in coming back as FCS a few years ago I think?  Perhaps get in the MVFC?

Tom

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2020, 09:22:45 AM »
After Ted Lasso left them, the writing was on the wall.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2020, 10:18:38 AM »
There was some interest in coming back as FCS a few years ago I think?  Perhaps get in the MVFC?

Tom

I think if they came back they would have to join the non scholarship, Pioneer League with Drake. It's worth noting that they are tearing down Cessna Stadium and are building a Rock Chalk Park type facility (multipurpose) in its place.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2020, 10:21:13 AM »

Tom

I think if they came back they would have to join the non scholarship, Pioneer League with Drake. It's worth noting that they are tearing down Cessna Stadium and are building a Rock Chalk Park type facility (multipurpose) in its place.
Yeah. WSU has zero interest in reviving it’s football program. Eck and the softball stadium are practically already next to eachother. Eck is also nice but could use some updates. I have heard the next two facilities that will be updated aside from the new sports complex are Koch and Eck. The new indoor training facility is state of the art for baseball and softball.

“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2020, 10:22:23 AM »
We also took a tour in high school and the whole athletic shared the very tiny weight room under Charles Koch Arena. (I took a tour in high school with my high school teacher who was a former athletic trainer)

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2020, 12:35:12 PM »

Tom

There was significant interest like 10 years ago, but ultimately they will never do it. They have gone on long enough without it and seem to do well as an entire athletic program without football. Unless the Koch's just throw tons of money at it, it'll never happen, and I think even if they did start it, it'd have to be FCS, this state can't handle 3 FBS programs. Being too close and drowned out by K-State/KU, and Okie State and OU, hell even Tulsa is too much. If they did start it they will basically be a shittier Tulsa.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2020, 12:46:03 PM »

Tom

Yeah. WSU has zero interest in reviving it’s football program. Eck and the softball stadium are practically already next to eachother. Eck is also nice but could use some updates. I have heard the next two facilities that will be updated aside from the new sports complex are Koch and Eck. The new indoor training facility is state of the art for baseball and softball.

I think Koch has already been renovated. Was pretty nice before imo in the few times I've been there.

https://www.kake.com/story/42707136/wsu-unveils-new-facilities-and-plan-to-get-fans-in-the-arena
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2020, 12:49:59 PM »

Tom

I think Koch has already been renovated. Was pretty nice before imo in the few times I've been there.

https://www.kake.com/story/42707136/wsu-unveils-new-facilities-and-plan-to-get-fans-in-the-arena

yeah they did the roundhouse renaissance like 8 years ago, it's a very nice arena, no need for more updates currently IMO
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2020, 12:53:36 PM »
I had a feeling this thread would attract our pal Prince McJunkins
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2020, 02:34:41 PM »

Good to know where that screen name came from

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2020, 05:39:01 PM »
https://goshockers.com/news/2015/6/23/ATH_0623151043.aspx

Tom

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2020, 06:30:59 PM »
https://goshockers.com/news/2015/6/23/ATH_0623151043.aspx

Tom

Whipped the squawks’ ass too. Couldn’t beat the Independence Bowl bound Cats tho.

Offline Prince McJunkins

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2020, 07:49:07 PM »

Good to know where that screen name came from
It’s a pretty amazing name.

Offline Big Sam

• King of the Tucks
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2020, 08:42:54 PM »
IIRC, when the football program was shuttered by Lew Perkins, a ton of debt was in place (some of it may have been shoveled upon the dying football program to clean up other sports' accounts).  I believe a condition WSU admin has placed on considering reviving football is donors/the interested paying off that debt as the initial step to the process of that revival.  I believe the debt level is about $20 million.  That is a pretty big check for WuShock.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2020, 10:20:17 AM »
They had a pretty sweet helmet back in the day.

Tom

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2020, 12:57:01 PM »
swheat!

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2020, 07:46:59 PM »
They had a pretty sweet helmet back in the day.

Tom

Dammit Tom, are you are planning to turn this into another high farm IQ thread?!?

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2020, 11:27:22 PM »
For sure dating myself here, but I played baseball, basketball and football against Marvin Brown of Solomon. He went to Wichita State on a football and baseball scholarship and died as a freshman in the crash. Solomon was really good in football his sophomore and junior years. I assume his senior year, too, but I was a year older and don't remember how they did that season.
Guy had a blazing fastball, but I got a Texas League bloober against him the last time I faced him in the Dickinson County summer league. May have been the only time I didn't strike out against him.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2020, 11:40:09 PM »
That's a great story @EMAWzifried also hopefully I've never been mean to you, I'm all about respecting my elders and stuff.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2020, 10:30:25 AM »
Benji

I guess I am a closet Shocker.

My first awareness of them was 81.  We remember Ro's shot to beat Oregon State, but WSU also upset Iowa to meet KU in the regional semi final.  KSU, KU, WSU all in S16 was the story for a week in Kansas.

I used wander their facilities attending state track meets to watch my sis throw discuss.

I have always followed the baseball team... even had one of their ball caps in my rotation.

Their last football game (W 16-10) against us in 85 effectively ended Jim Dickeys tenure.

Probably jealous they had a unique state related mascot too.

Tom