Author Topic: Economics Of The Election  (Read 16387 times)

Offline hjfklmor

• Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Economics Of The Election
« Reply #100 on: December 18, 2020, 11:49:26 AM »
and hjfklmor explodes into my awareness as possibly being my mom

Well if your mother is a CPA then mods please change my name to mom of steve dave.
Hell yeah!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIA on the new name

Offline hjfklmor

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 18, 2020, 11:54:32 AM »
I can see hjfklmor becoming the Andy Dufresne of this here shawshank prison

Much like the real mom of steve dave, I would have a witty retort if I could figure out how to embed a rough ridin' gif

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 18, 2020, 12:53:10 PM »
I can see hjfklmor becoming the Andy Dufresne of this here shawshank prison

Much like the real mom of steve dave, I would have a witty retort if I could figure out how to embed a rough ridin' gif

When my eyes see "hjfklmor" my mind converts it to hydroxychloroquine for some reason.

Offline hjfklmor

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 18, 2020, 01:00:05 PM »
Interesting, so how are the loans being treated right now then, is it baked into the Revenue Rulings?

Are they deductible to decrease tax burden for employers and without discretion on the personal income of the owner/employer and some party is telling the IRS to kick rocks?

Technically speaking very few people have filed a tax return with PPP forgiveness on it. Several trade groups are telling the IRS to kick rocks and it would appear that Congress is as well.

Not that this will happen, but I assume this is in the spirit of the opinion on the deduction topic that kicked this off, wonder what the reaction would be if the median income of a US worker is deemed to be allowed to be deducted (~36k USD), or some multiple like 2x. I don't know for certain, but I think the overall point being made in that article was that the loans were to keep employees with a paycheck, but not necessarily to ensure an owner's wage was fully secure (ie the 1%er comment).

I think we may be talking past each other here on the mechanics of how this all works. The employee's wage is only being deducted once.

Business received the PPP funds as cash and paid their fixed costs (or were supposed to) as normal - payroll or rent is still being only deducted once hopefully as if it were a normal year. The idea being that instead of sending that cash back to the bank in the form of repayments the loan is forgiven. Not to get any further in the weeds than I already have but this is normally called forgiveness of debt income. This income, if taxable, would offset payroll costs so if this was a typical year you would have business owners having a higher taxable income than normal.

The idea for not making the forgiveness taxable is that we are not punishing business owners for accepting the loans and keeping their workers hired. If the forgiveness is taxable they would have been wiser to lay off those workers (from a practical standpoint.. not a moral one).

Again this is all great in theory but there was no real means testing on PPP loans and they were abused all over the place, but they also helped millions of businesses! The opinion of the article you linked seemed to be that high net worth individuals used it to pay themselves, which is absolutely possible and probable, but like the stimulus checks sometimes you have to open yourself up to that risk in the spirit of urgency and just hope you helped more small businesses than abusers of the system. Making it taxable punishes the abusers, but also the small businesses.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 18, 2020, 02:59:19 PM »
The article you linked explains that the IRS has taken the position that these expenses are not deductible. The Revenue Rulings just "help" in determining when they aren't deductible. Congress intended for the forgiveness to be tax exempt. There is a section of the Internal Revenue Code that states that expenses are not deductible to the extent they are paid with tax exempt funds. The IRS took this section and applied it to PPP loan forgiveness and decided that these expenses are nondeductible.

If you have tax exempt forgiveness but the expenses paid with the loans are nondeductible, you have taxable forgiveness. Again, I'm not arguing that these loans should be forgiven tax-free for all - there are absolutely people who abused them, just look at some Sedgwick County Commissioners - but Congress clearly meant for these loans to be "free." Employers would not have retained workers with these loans when business was down if they knew they would be paying 40% of their wages in taxes. Congress didn't think things through with their bill, per usual, and the IRS overstepped.

They are idiots but it's not a loophole in the new relief. Dealing with these stupid PPP loans is part of my job.

Is there anything clear on how PPP loan distributions to partners in a partnership should be treated and be reported on a partner's K-1?

You got a PPP loan and distributed the funds to yourself instead of paying rent, payroll, etc.? That is beyond the scope of this here blog.

Not sure why it's beyond the scope of this blog, but owners were allowed to get PPP loans based on their self-employment income in a pass-through entity.  It is equivalent to distributing it as payroll.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 18, 2020, 03:37:01 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2020/12/17/trump-2000-stimulus-checks/

White House aides intervened Thursday to prevent President Trump from issuing a statement calling for substantially larger stimulus payments for millions of Americans, according to two people who spoke on the condition of anonymity to share details of the private exchange.

On a phone call Thursday afternoon, Trump told allies that he believes stimulus payments in the next relief package should be “at least” $1,200 per person and possibly as big as $2,000 per person, the officials said. Congressional leadership is preparing a stimulus package that would provide checks of $600 per person.

Really incredible incompetent leadership from the dems that they could not appeal to Trump wanting to "go big" on stimulus to leverage him to approve a bigger bill earlier.  Pelosi really went all in on not only winning the Senate, but having 52+.  The problem with her thinking was that if the dems truly had all 3 branches and 52+ then they could've always done more stimulus later.

Just awful leadership.

meanwhile, in the real world, republican senators are offering no state and local money, to fund $600 checks by cutting unemployment insurance down to nothing and it's all conditional on getting dems to agree to hamstring the economy as soon as biden takes over (and also it's not clear that they even have majority support for that shitshow of a deal).

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1339975741539295232
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 18, 2020, 03:55:05 PM »
Imagine if MPOS Nancy Pelosi hadn't played politics with the 2nd stimulus because she didn't want to give Trump a "victory" before the election.   

Now useful idiots like the sysbot and others want to blame Republicans.   We could have already had a larger 2nd stimulus and be talking about a 3rd at this juncture.   POS Pelosi stood up in front of the world and openly admitted she played politics because of the election.   BidenVoter just chose not to listen.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 18, 2020, 05:13:38 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2020/12/17/trump-2000-stimulus-checks/

White House aides intervened Thursday to prevent President Trump from issuing a statement calling for substantially larger stimulus payments for millions of Americans, according to two people who spoke on the condition of anonymity to share details of the private exchange.

On a phone call Thursday afternoon, Trump told allies that he believes stimulus payments in the next relief package should be “at least” $1,200 per person and possibly as big as $2,000 per person, the officials said. Congressional leadership is preparing a stimulus package that would provide checks of $600 per person.

Really incredible incompetent leadership from the dems that they could not appeal to Trump wanting to "go big" on stimulus to leverage him to approve a bigger bill earlier.  Pelosi really went all in on not only winning the Senate, but having 52+.  The problem with her thinking was that if the dems truly had all 3 branches and 52+ then they could've always done more stimulus later.

Just awful leadership.

meanwhile, in the real world, republican senators are offering no state and local money, to fund $600 checks by cutting unemployment insurance down to nothing and it's all conditional on getting dems to agree to hamstring the economy as soon as biden takes over (and also it's not clear that they even have majority support for that shitshow of a deal).

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1339975741539295232

Yes, those are the terrible terms being offered now after Pelosi completely mumped up the negotiation.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 18, 2020, 06:33:58 PM »
trump was gonna buy greenland for a weekend too, but you can believe there was a genuine offer on the table if you really need to.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 18, 2020, 07:33:46 PM »
Josh Hawley and Bernie Sanders :surprised:
Also eff Ron Johnson, he's worth $38,000,000 and blocking direct aid to working Americans.
https://twitter.com/DailyCaller/status/1339989080667516929

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 19, 2020, 10:38:11 PM »
We got a deal

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 20, 2020, 01:40:09 PM »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 20, 2020, 10:30:36 PM »

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 21, 2020, 10:19:21 AM »
You are right.  They really covered a lot of ground in the last 24 hours.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 23, 2020, 04:52:43 AM »

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 23, 2020, 09:56:35 AM »
idiot
https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1341587611283054592
I think most of what she said may be right? I don’t think Trump is threatening to veto this with the hope of actually getting the stimulus checks to be $2000, he’s just trying to throw a wrench in at the last second.

If he’s overridden, Congress will be blamed for taking $1400 out of people’s pockets. If they don’t override, it’s back to square one because no rough ridin' way Mitch is putting $2k on the table.
:adios:

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 23, 2020, 10:19:41 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 23, 2020, 10:19:16 PM »
idiot
https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1341587611283054592
I think most of what she said may be right? I don’t think Trump is threatening to veto this with the hope of actually getting the stimulus checks to be $2000, he’s just trying to throw a wrench in at the last second.

If he’s overridden, Congress will be blamed for taking $1400 out of people’s pockets. If they don’t override, it’s back to square one because no rough ridin' way Mitch is putting $2k on the table.

He better tell that to his congress men and women openly advocating for it. The $2000 has bipartisan support, and now that the president has publicly ridiculed the $600, I don't know how Mitch and Nancy, don't forget her, have much of a choice. Double this with all of the pork and foreign dollars that have also been batted around the media. That is resonating too, there are people not at all involved with following politics that are rightfully pissed.

Mitch is risking the dems getting momentum in Georgia off of this, if they lose those two races the $2000 will be passed on January 20th.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: December 23, 2020, 10:30:31 PM »
I hope you’re right!
:adios:

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Economics Of The Election
« Reply #121 on: December 24, 2020, 06:07:23 AM »
1) the republicans may well just ignore this and muddle through the holidays with a government shutdown and say eff it.

2) sounds like the democrats will send a clean $2,000 only bill amendment to the senate after the unanimous consent failed (which, of course).

3) all of the bitching and whining about the omnibus govt spending which was attached to the stimulus is both very relevant and not relevant at all

A) very relevant because trump saw people on Twitter getting mad about it so it might be part of the reason why he started talking $2,000 checks. also relevant because we have debt ceilings and fiscal cliffs and sunsets to game the CBO because they are the only thing that can prompt our failed government to act on anything. We have a near permanent stasis where nothing can happen and the only thing that can undo that is a genuine crisis and even then, only to a certain extent as the Fed really saved our ass.

B) not very relevant because trumps budget requested these “foreign aid” and “Kennedy center” and “Smithsonian” budget line items because it is just the federal budget, we are so used to crisis mode that it was not clearly reported that oh by the way our government will also shutdown and our UI week extensions will shut off for millions of people and all of that is a separate and distinct crisis that was used by both sides as leverage for themselves to get off their ass and come up with a stimulus deal.

But it is not “pork” or the stimulus deal itself unless you think the government should not exist.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 24, 2020, 06:59:40 AM »
1) the republicans may well just ignore this and muddle through the holidays with a government shutdown and say eff it.

2) sounds like the democrats will send a clean $2,000 only bill amendment to the senate after the unanimous consent failed (which, of course).

3) all of the bitching and whining about the omnibus govt spending which was attached to the stimulus is both very relevant and not relevant at all

A) very relevant because trump saw people on Twitter getting mad about it so it might be part of the reason why he started talking $2,000 checks. also relevant because we have debt ceilings and fiscal cliffs and sunsets to game the CBO because they are the only thing that can prompt our failed government to act on anything. We have a near permanent stasis where nothing can happen and the only thing that can undo that is a genuine crisis and even then, only to a certain extent as the Fed really saved our ass.

B) not very relevant because trumps budget requested these “foreign aid” and “Kennedy center” and “Smithsonian” budget line items because it is just the federal budget, we are so used to crisis mode that it was not clearly reported that oh by the way our government will also shutdown and our UI week extensions will shut off for millions of people and all of that is a separate and distinct crisis that was used by both sides as leverage for themselves to get off their ass and come up with a stimulus deal.

But it is not “pork” or the stimulus deal itself unless you think the government should not exist.

agree with most of that (i fall a little more into a read of trump's communications on the relief/omnibus bill as farce than as precipitating a crisis).

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 24, 2020, 07:54:31 AM »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 24, 2020, 11:12:37 AM »

agree with most of that (i fall a little more into a read of trump's communications on the relief/omnibus bill as farce than as precipitating a crisis).

Yeah, me too.

The funding issues that have the general public up in arms are governmental budget related and shouldn't be discussed in the same vein as the stimulus. Those discussions still definitely should be happening and still have their place, just not in the context they are presently happening. It's all modus operandi though and as angry as people are now about the Kennedy Center getting funded and research money going to Zimbabwe, people really don't have the stomach to hold our elected officials feet to the fire about how our government allocates money.