Author Topic: The Trump Convention  (Read 11108 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: The Trump Convention
« Reply #200 on: August 28, 2020, 01:16:21 PM »
That doesn't really matter though. He's absolutely the most vocal anti-abortion president in my life, even if disingenuous.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 28, 2020, 01:21:35 PM »
Those fireworks kicked the crap out of the display I watched at the ozarks this year.

who you voting for DQ? I'm a Biden pub FWIW.
idk.  probably some third party dork.

Just vote for trump bro.
What makes you say that?

Because in this particular election a throw away third party vote is a vote for trump, and you know that, it's exactly why so many Republicans are going public with their support for Biden. If you're a moderate Republican you are much closer to Biden's platform than I am, as dax has clinically pointed out over and over again. I am actually registered to a third party that stands to benefit from getting my vote that isn't coming this year.

I don't want to vote for Biden, but I've been given no choice. We are in an unprecedented time in America. We're bordering on authoritarianism. We had a president threatening to send armed police officers to patrol polling places. We have a department of education attempting to divert public tax dollars that should be used for pandemic relief, to private schools. We have federal law enforcement circumventing local authorities in providing law enforcement in local jurisdictions. On and on and on.

If your aren't voting affirmatively to end this, you're voting for it to continue, trump even said so himself earlier this week. "Never in American history has the choice been so clear."
I disagree with the premise that anything other than a vote for trump constitutes “a vote for trump.”  Particularly when trump is trailing by a sizable margin in every poll.  Put simply, I think for trump to win, he would need people generally aligning with my beliefs to vote for him.  So no, I think by voting for someone else (or not voting), I would not actually or effectively be voting for Trump.

And I can’t in good conscience cast a vote for Biden.  I know this isn’t popular and will prompt eye-rolls, but his views on abortion are a nonstarter for me.

trump was pro-choice for vast majority of his life and only changed to pander to the evangelical base because the vast majority of his life would be exactly the opposite of their beliefs.  His flip made those parts easier to swallow but make no bones, it was entirely to win

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 28, 2020, 01:22:49 PM »
Also DJT is only anti-abortion because he knows it is a passionate topic for his voters.  Anyone with half a brain knows he has paid for a few baby scrapings in his life.  Homeboy is all about that pro-choice behind the scenes.

dang it

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 28, 2020, 01:25:43 PM »
Those fireworks kicked the crap out of the display I watched at the ozarks this year.

who you voting for DQ? I'm a Biden pub FWIW.
idk.  probably some third party dork.

Just vote for trump bro.
What makes you say that?

Because in this particular election a throw away third party vote is a vote for trump, and you know that, it's exactly why so many Republicans are going public with their support for Biden. If you're a moderate Republican you are much closer to Biden's platform than I am, as dax has clinically pointed out over and over again. I am actually registered to a third party that stands to benefit from getting my vote that isn't coming this year.

I don't want to vote for Biden, but I've been given no choice. We are in an unprecedented time in America. We're bordering on authoritarianism. We had a president threatening to send armed police officers to patrol polling places. We have a department of education attempting to divert public tax dollars that should be used for pandemic relief, to private schools. We have federal law enforcement circumventing local authorities in providing law enforcement in local jurisdictions. On and on and on.

If your aren't voting affirmatively to end this, you're voting for it to continue, trump even said so himself earlier this week. "Never in American history has the choice been so clear."
I disagree with the premise that anything other than a vote for trump constitutes “a vote for trump.”  Particularly when trump is trailing by a sizable margin in every poll.  Put simply, I think for trump to win, he would need people generally aligning with my beliefs to vote for him.  So no, I think by voting for someone else (or not voting), I would not actually or effectively be voting for Trump.

And I can’t in good conscience cast a vote for Biden.  I know this isn’t popular and will prompt eye-rolls, but his views on abortion are a nonstarter for me.

trump was pro-choice for vast majority of his life and only changed to pander to the evangelical base because the vast majority of his life would be exactly the opposite of their beliefs.  His flip made those parts easier to swallow but make no bones, it was entirely to win
Even if the position he has taken is  just pandering, from a practical standpoint it seems like he has helped the pro-life / anti-abortion cause to some extent - the two Supreme Court appointees would be exhibit A.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 28, 2020, 01:31:16 PM »
DJT coming across anything other than anti-abortion would have lost him 2016.  He is smart enough to know what to say to his heavy followers. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 28, 2020, 01:43:36 PM »

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 28, 2020, 02:07:37 PM »
Also DJT is only anti-abortion because he knows it is a passionate topic for his voters.  Anyone with half a brain knows he has paid for a few baby scrapings in his life.  Homeboy is all about that pro-choice behind the scenes.

For sure. He DGAF about the right to life.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 28, 2020, 02:09:42 PM »
That doesn't really matter though. He's absolutely the most vocal anti-abortion president in my life, even if disingenuous.

Why would that not matter?
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 28, 2020, 02:29:54 PM »
Why does it matter? He doesn't actually care about immigration either, but he's the easily the most vocal anti-immigrant president in my lifetime. He loves wedges and those are two deep wedge issues that he'll fight for his base on. He's a mercenary. His more observant supporters know this, most just want the fight.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: August 28, 2020, 02:30:56 PM »
The abortion rate is plummeting. Abortions dropped by about 20% just from 2011 to 2017. They have declined at about the same rate in red states as blue states, regardless of which party has the presidency. States with laws to make abortions more difficult to obtain don't have lower rates of abortion than states without them. This appears to be driven by easier access to birth control, quality sex ed, and fewer kids having sex. If abortion is a problem, then the problem appears to be taking care of itself.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 28, 2020, 02:36:12 PM »
And fwiw, there are a lot of politicians, particularly moderate ones, who go with the party ideology over personal ideology on abortion. It's just part of getting elected.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 28, 2020, 02:39:50 PM »
LibDerp Leadership has done a complete 180 on immigration all in the name of OrangeMan: Bad

Almost to a person, LibDerp Leadership was part of the "you can't just jump across a river" crowd prior to Trump's election.   It's documented, it's on film. 

Now they have nothing to offer but the far most leftist extreme ideals relative to immigration.   That's why it looks like a wedge.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 28, 2020, 02:41:16 PM »

well said.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 28, 2020, 02:43:33 PM »
LibDerp Leadership has done a complete 180 on immigration all in the name of OrangeMan: Bad

Almost to a person, LibDerp Leadership was part of the "you can't just jump across a river" crowd prior to Trump's election.   It's documented, it's on film. 

Now they have nothing to offer but the far most leftist extreme ideals relative to immigration.   That's why it looks like a wedge.

It's great to finally have a party that you can vote for on this issue.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 28, 2020, 02:45:04 PM »
It's just fascinating to read a guy who was just bragging about the Red Hot real estate market in his home town and talking about how he's looking at a more deluxe condo talk about how bad things are.

There are now businesses literally running TV ads around here begging for people to apply for their job openings.   But they're not going to get the applications because the unemployment benefits are much higher than usual.    The entirety of the major corridors at least around here are lined with now hiring signs on street corners and in store windows.

Small business owners are coming out repeatedly talking about how they can't compete with the unemployment benefits being paid out right now, and they can't find people to fill jobs.   

If you get LinkedIn job notifications for certain markets, there's hundreds of new job postings, thousands in several markets like ATL every single day.

you keep saying that but none of the actual data backs up that there are a bunch of unfilled job listings or that people are not going back to work because of enhanced unemployment benefits (which already got cut off a month ago).

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 28, 2020, 02:46:58 PM »
It's great to finally have a party that you can vote for on this issue.

it even looks semi-likely that immigration reform will be a priority issue under biden.  it's an exciting time.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 28, 2020, 02:50:57 PM »
Joe Biden isn’t a moderate

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 28, 2020, 11:14:19 PM »
Why does it matter? He doesn't actually care about immigration either, but he's the easily the most vocal anti-immigrant president in my lifetime. He loves wedges and those are two deep wedge issues that he'll fight for his base on. He's a mercenary. His more observant supporters know this, most just want the fight.

A very substantial difference in these two things are he hasn't done anything to change abortion policy but he certainly has with immigration, he's completely destroyed what was left of the system.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The Trump Convention
« Reply #219 on: August 28, 2020, 11:37:29 PM »

A very substantial difference in these two things are he hasn't done anything to change abortion policy but he certainly has with immigration, he's completely destroyed what was left of the system.
I would take issue with this statement because Trump did appoint two SCOTUS judges who very well could be willing to overturn Roe v. Wade if the votes were there. He’s probably done more to change abortion policy than any other president in modern history. It might be the only way he’s behaved as a traditional Republican president. And apparently enough to even get educated folks in his camp (despite the whole kids in cages thing).
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 11:40:45 PM by catastrophe »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 29, 2020, 08:05:49 AM »
He’s having a massive meltdown because the trumpvention viewer numbers were worse than the dnc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 29, 2020, 08:37:08 AM »

I would take issue with this statement because Trump did appoint two SCOTUS judges who very well could be willing to overturn Roe v. Wade if the votes were there. He’s probably done more to change abortion policy than any other president in modern history. It might be the only way he’s behaved as a traditional Republican president. And apparently enough to even get educated folks in his camp (despite the whole kids in cages thing).

the reason never-trumpers failed to gain any traction is because most republicans agree with everything he does policy-wise. (the lone exception might be he's less willing to start wars)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 29, 2020, 09:06:37 AM »

the reason never-trumpers failed to gain any traction is because most republicans agree with everything he does policy-wise. (the lone exception might be he's less willing to start wars)

And spending. 

But mostly yes.  That is why lots wish he'd stop being such a grifting Q moron who tweets all the time.  and go on a diet

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 29, 2020, 10:16:36 AM »

And spending. 

lol Republicans never care about spending except when it's spending that might help poor minorities (and he is very much in step with that)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 29, 2020, 10:33:32 AM »

And spending. 

lol Republicans never care about spending except when it's spending that might help poor minorities (and he is very much in step with that)

Well I am a republican and I care about spending.  But you are right, no president has ever spent like trump.