Author Topic: competitive little kid sports  (Read 36915 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: competitive little kid sports
« Reply #775 on: January 27, 2024, 08:42:27 PM »
I regret to inform lil sd’s haters that his new cap is unbeatable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: February 08, 2024, 08:04:49 PM »
ALRIGHT FOLKS! Thank God all basketball games are in 3 different venues in Elkhorn so all the same 'burb. Weekend sched:

Saturday:
9:30-11:30 baseball
1:00 girls basketball
4:00 boys basketball
5:00 girls basketball
7:00 boys basketball

Sunday:
12:30 boys basketball
2:30 boys basketball
3:30-5:30 baseball practice

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: February 09, 2024, 07:47:58 AM »
baseball practice right before the super bowl, figure it out man

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: February 09, 2024, 07:55:18 AM »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: February 10, 2024, 09:15:36 PM »
4-0 on the day bitches. Including wins over both rival Millard (Omaha Overland Park) teams.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #780 on: February 10, 2024, 11:01:43 PM »
4-0 on the day bitches. Including wins over both rival Millard (Omaha Overland Park) teams.

Well done, sd!

Last lil kids bball 2024 for my fam today. 2-1 for the day.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: February 11, 2024, 10:46:33 AM »

Well done, sd!

Last lil kids bball 2024 for my fam today. 2-1 for the day.

we have two more weeks. We will have an early exit in the league tournament because we rallied to finish the year 4th and they break the tournament out in 4 team sections so we will play the number 1 team in the opener and, folks, they kicked the living crap out of us when we played them earlier in the season. oh well, good year anyway.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: February 15, 2024, 12:23:04 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/14/opinion/youth-sports.html

There's always a lot out there about the inequity of youth sports. It stinks. I don't blame anyone who is having their kids on travel teams FTR. It's just a terrible system!

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: February 18, 2024, 09:30:20 AM »

There's always a lot out there about the inequity of youth sports. It stinks. I don't blame anyone who is having their kids on travel teams FTR. It's just a terrible system!

How are we defining "travel" teams?  Like my kids swim/volley all over the metro and both sides of state line - 50 mile radius probably but that's not travel in my mind it's just competing at places with good facilities and available time.  My kids don't consider it travel sports because they went from Leawood over to Lee's Summit.

Travel is Dallas, OKC etc.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: February 18, 2024, 10:06:05 AM »

How are we defining "travel" teams?  Like my kids swim/volley all over the metro and both sides of state line - 50 mile radius probably but that's not travel in my mind it's just competing at places with good facilities and available time.  My kids don't consider it travel sports because they went from Leawood over to Lee's Summit.

Travel is Dallas, OKC etc.
I think our baseball team is travel ball but we don’t go further than Sioux Falls/Des Moines/KC. There are plenty of teams in the metro that can kick our ass without doubling up scheduling. There are teams at our level that play in AZ and FL and crap but I don’t see the point.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: February 18, 2024, 10:07:28 AM »
One of our programs teams played in a PG Vail tournament in July that was pretty sweet.  We may do that one but just as an excuse to go up there, not because we need more competition to play.

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: February 18, 2024, 10:18:11 AM »
Why don't you just take a vacation up there so you can spend the entire time doing what you want and not have to dick with other parents and teammates and ball games screwing up your entire day?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: February 18, 2024, 10:21:19 AM »
Why don't you just take a vacation up there so you can spend the entire time doing what you want and not have to dick with other parents and teammates and ball games screwing up your entire day?

It's an excuse to go.  Not that you need one but that is the rational

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: February 18, 2024, 10:43:20 AM »
Which explains the irrationality of youth sports today.
"Honey, I'd really like to go spend some time in the Vail area this summer."
"Well crap!  I think there's a tournament up there that we can spend an extra couple hundred dollars per family just to participate in!  I'll bet the view from the ball field is great and we can spend the time resting in between games back at the overpriced condo that we can share with the Daves!"

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: February 18, 2024, 10:48:36 AM »
yeah, I guess.  I was just trying to figure out if my kids are traveling team or no.  I'm gathering that unless they were actively recruited by a stranger and playing with kids from all over the metro and not their immediate neighborhood it's just a team formed by their friend's parents then nope, they are just a super organized rec.  Which I am super cool with.  None of them are going pro.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: February 19, 2024, 11:35:48 AM »
the youth vb world is maybe the most cut and dried of the youth sports on this
Select = local tournaments primarily (1 or 2 tournaments per year with a hotel stay)
              practice twice a week from Oct to April

Premier = multiple out of town tournaments with goal of making nationals
                practices/training 3 to 4 per week from August to June

Select will cost a fam $3k more or less, Premier 3x at least

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: February 19, 2024, 11:57:39 AM »
That’s absurd.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: February 19, 2024, 12:44:32 PM »
Smallville has a community youth basketball program that is underwritten by donations and the proceeds of an annual tournament. For $60 each year, kids get (basic) uniforms, two 90 minute practices per week plus 15 - 20 games during the season when entry fees covered by the youth bball association. Kids have always had good coaches (with one glaring exception). Not enough court time to get your kid a D1 scholarship but they are able to understand the fundamentals of basketball well enough to enjoy participating in their school's team by the time they get to middle school. Seems like participation in club volleyball has exploded here over the past 5 -10 years. If kids aren't participating in a club team they are hopelessly behind when they get to middle school and it is a waste of time to try and get started in the game at that point.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: February 19, 2024, 01:06:22 PM »
Smallville has a community youth basketball program that is underwritten by donations and the proceeds of an annual tournament. For $60 each year, kids get (basic) uniforms, two 90 minute practices per week plus 15 - 20 games during the season when entry fees covered by the youth bball association. Kids have always had good coaches (with one glaring exception). Not enough court time to get your kid a D1 scholarship but they are able to understand the fundamentals of basketball well enough to enjoy participating in their school's team by the time they get to middle school. Seems like participation in club volleyball has exploded here over the past 5 -10 years. If kids aren't participating in a club team they are hopelessly behind when they get to middle school and it is a waste of time to try and get started in the game at that point.

This is how youth sports should operate.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: February 20, 2024, 12:53:50 PM »

This is how youth sports should operate.
YES!

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: February 20, 2024, 01:18:40 PM »
yeah, I guess.  I was just trying to figure out if my kids are traveling team or no.  I'm gathering that unless they were actively recruited by a stranger and playing with kids from all over the metro and not their immediate neighborhood it's just a team formed by their friend's parents then nope, they are just a super organized rec.  Which I am super cool with.  None of them are going pro.

I'd classify that as Club vs Rec I guess.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: February 27, 2024, 01:45:47 PM »
Not necessarily little kid sports, but this year the KWCA and the Shriners are having a first annual Wrestling Dual event like the Shrine Bowl in football.  Found out this morning that our daughter is going to get to wrestle in this deal. 
@mikec2w

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: February 27, 2024, 03:15:56 PM »
What is her signature move?

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: February 27, 2024, 03:33:56 PM »
More and more I believe wrestling is invaluable for developing positive traits in youths.

Once you’ve wrestled, everything else is easy.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: February 28, 2024, 01:46:38 PM »
More and more I believe wrestling is invaluable for developing positive traits in youths.

Once you’ve wrestled, everything else is easy.

I keep trying to convince Lil SF of this very thing. I never wrestled, but I am of the opinion that learning to wrestle at a young age solves many problems in JH, HS, and even college. I may force him to give it a try.