Author Topic: Plan SB's Elite Vision Quest Through Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho  (Read 110690 times)

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Plan SB's Elite Vision Quest Through Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho
« Reply #1275 on: September 08, 2023, 11:45:07 AM »
awesome, did you make your own route? Have some friends that created bikepacking routes near there, but I haven't explored that area much.

At least those are clouds and not smoke? We car camped near timothy lake a few weeks ago, and it got so smoky the next day we ended up driving to the coast to find clear air.

the route is the Anaxshat Passage on bikepacking.com. in general i love planning out street routes, but i am uncomfortable coming up with wilderness routes without having been to a place before.
luckily we were smoke free. that's wild that you were just there! do you live around there?

My fave pic was the misty bike ahead of you on the dirt trail. Really frames the experience well, I can almost picture being there

it was probably my favorite part. completely silent all around! we were kind of speechless

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: September 08, 2023, 12:04:19 PM »
looks like an incredible trip. thanks for posting.

Offline Catchacold

• Combo-Fan
  • Z28gY2F0cy4=
    • View Profile
    • wildcatgrowl.com
« Reply #1277 on: September 08, 2023, 12:17:44 PM »
the route is the Anaxshat Passage on bikepacking.com. in general i love planning out street routes, but i am uncomfortable coming up with wilderness routes without having been to a place before.
luckily we were smoke free. that's wild that you were just there! do you live around there?

Ah yes, I've heard of that route. I live in Bend so have ridden mostly in central Oregon, but have been wanting to do some riding near Hood. I've been looking at Stiletsi & the White Crane which was created by the same group. And that is true, good idea to follow routes that have been checked. google maps is not very reliable with forest roads, I have found a few dead ends that way.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: September 08, 2023, 12:35:14 PM »
That looks amaze, pls do that and post report itt

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: September 08, 2023, 08:15:52 PM »
Not gonna lie.  I’ve got some Oregon envy, guys.  Looks amazing.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: September 08, 2023, 08:34:19 PM »
Oregon VQ hits different, wow.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: September 08, 2023, 09:21:32 PM »
ww - what’s the rest of your VQ schedule look like?

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: September 08, 2023, 09:38:43 PM »
Not gonna lie.  I’ve got some Oregon envy, guys.  Looks amazing.

at times in the woods it irl smelled like someone sprayed too much evergreen air freshener in the downstairs half bath

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: November 01, 2023, 11:13:02 AM »
Hiking around Sedona -- This first one here is Devil's Bridge (:eek:).  It's hard to tell from the perspective, but me and Mrs. DQ are out there on a big arch that's way high above the ground. 

Some scenic deserty stuff on the hike outside Sedona:

Hiking with a baby isn't as bad as I thought.  Those little carrier things make it a lot easier, but my neck was sore the next day.  Probably operator error.

Drove to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon on Monday.  That thing is absolutely overwhelming.  I don't consider myself afraid of heights.  Didn't mind getting out on that arch at Devil's Bridge.  I don't mind getting on ladders.  I don't mind being in tall buildings.  I don't mind planes.  I don't mind roller coasters.  I did the ripcord thing at Worlds of Fun and liked it.  I DID NOT LIKE being close to the edge at the grand canyon.  Something about the vastness of it all just made my stomach turn in a weird vertigo way.  Learned that about myself this week.  Anyway, absolutely, breathtakingly stunning.  What a country we live in.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: November 01, 2023, 12:30:06 PM »
Grand Canyon is truly stunning

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: November 01, 2023, 12:31:56 PM »
Damn dude looks awesome!
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: November 01, 2023, 12:56:14 PM »
This time of year is a great time for a SW trip, great stuff dlew

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: November 01, 2023, 01:03:06 PM »
Eff that Devil's Bridge nonsense.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: November 02, 2023, 04:25:36 PM »
Great pics dlew.  I need some red desert time ASAP. 

Offline Catchacold

• Combo-Fan
  • Z28gY2F0cy4=
    • View Profile
    • wildcatgrowl.com
« Reply #1289 on: November 06, 2023, 09:27:56 AM »
mini vq to vegas (go cats)

camped near Mt Shasta, Fresno, and Mojave Preserve

rode a bit of the river mountains loop trail yesterday near henderson

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: November 06, 2023, 10:17:39 AM »
awesome

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: December 04, 2023, 12:54:45 PM »
awesome

haven't checked this blog in a while. great stuff on the Anaxshat, mocat! lmk when you want to get high in Colorado.

solid stuff all around, fellas. Great vision quests. side note: had a mega dose of the Golden Teacher and had quite the adventure in my living room the other month. would recommend.

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: December 04, 2023, 01:00:36 PM »
This is my neck of the woods. Let me know if you want beta on anything. Grand Mesa, Dolores Canyon, Uncompahgre, Weminuche, La Platas, San Juans, Lone Mesa, Hovenweep, Canyon of the Ancients, etc.

Would not recommend going to Moab in July unless you're planning to run the Green. Best times are April-May, or September-November.
@asava, we are planning to camp near Durango for approx one week. One day for narrow gauge railroad, at least one day for Mesa Verde, maybe one day for Ouray hot springs/Oak Creek Overlook, one day to hike a bit on Colorado Trail. Do you think kids would like Canyons of the Ancients?

Will take recommendations from you and tdaver to defer Utah rock formation national parks to a spring/fall timeframe.

DGO in July is great, though you should be aware that the rains/monsoons usually start about mid july and set in just after noon. The snows should be melted up high, and there are lots of amazing day hikes you can get in while around, and several I'd recommend over the Colorado Trail section that is down here. Check out Engineer Mountain via Pass Trail at the top of Coal Bank and take it to the meadow. Summiting Engineer is a little bit of a scramble, so it would depend on how old/adept your kids are if you wanted to try and get close to 13,000 ft. Either way the meadow is awesome and the views are incredible. Just don't get caught up there after noon, as you'll be above tree line where clouds move in quickly and lightning is a deadly concern. There are also lots of hikes off Molas Pass as well. Check out Vestal Basin. Lots of waterfalls and it's hiking only, but that will take you on a portion of the CT that is only open to foot traffic. Molas and Little Molas have great campgrounds as well. You could also look towards high alpine lakes like Highland Mary Lake, Columbine Lake, or even Ice Lakes. Ice Lakes is permit only now due to so many people finding out about it via instagram and it basically being overrun by idiots who start fires and generally leave crap everywhere, but it's a pretty remarkable place. Highland Mary and Columbine are lesser known and good options. An easier lake hike would be Potato Lake near Purgatory.

Canyon of the Ancients is awesome, but your kids might lose interest if they've already done Mesa Verde. Depending on where you are camping, it could mean a lot of time in the car. You're doing the right thing by giving a full day or more to Mesa Verde. It takes quite a bit of car time just to get to the dwellings. You should also double check to see what sites are open. They often close sites for restoration, and it can be a big bummer if you go in there without knowing some of the more accessible ones are closed.

It sounds like camping at Molas or Little Molas would be your ideal location to reach both Ouray, Mesa Verde, and do a bit of hiking. Andrews Lake, Molas Lake, and Little Molas are all great to do a little stand up paddle boarding on. Where were you thinking of camping?

Personally, I'd try and not do too much. There's plenty to do and not enough time around these parts. I've spent the last decade exploring all that I can and still have so much on my checklist to knock off. Pro tip on the narrow gauge: one way is enough. A full day on that thing feels pretty long. Purgatory has a lot to do and they've built out a ton of stuff recently, new alpine coaster, a lot of mountain biking, etc...
thanks again for the info. I printed off your post and I'm marking out the TH's on my maps. Would you recommend the Ouray Perimeter Trail?

Sorry I didn't get back to you on this. Glad you had a great time with the fam.